How will we set up?

What's comical is atleast 70% of people on this site were slaughtering his lacklustre pathetic displays all season, then he pencils himself in for a couple more years and its "yer he's got a good engine on him, he'll do alright".

Just wait till people are reminded of just how anonmous he is this coming season and we'll be back to "O'connor is dog poo " again.

He was a massive factor in us having one of the weakest midfields ever seen, nothing has changed.

^^^^^

spot on.

I think the biggest thing to take from our transfer activity so far is that Megson wants to make us a physically competitive team, difficult to play against and which won't get bullied. If the spine of our team looks like players such as Reda, Jones, Semodo, Prutton, Mellor and Scotland when we kick off in August then we're not going to lose matches because we're intimidated or not tough enough. Obviously there are some exceptions to this such as the decision to keep O'Connor, but the core of our team is starting to look pretty physical (assuming the likes of Semodo, Mellor and Scotland sign).

That can only be a positive. We've been easy to play against for too long. I'm pretty sure that in terms of formations we probably won't deviate all that much from Four-Four-F*cking-Two, but hopefully we've got the core of a team that can play that formation and impose itself on other sides, instead of being a lightweight soft touch.

We can't really say until we know who comes in.

As it stands we have a midfield of JOC, Prutton, Palmer, Sedgwick and Teale.......erm......is that it?......have I missed anyone?

Personally, I'm quite worried.......because we need some real quality bringing in or the only tactic available will be long balls to Madine.

That's the scariest looking midfield I've seen for years............. And not in a good way.

But I'm sure ( praying to the big owl in the sky ) that won't be the midfield that starts the season

What's comical is atleast 70% of people on this site were slaughtering his lacklustre pathetic displays all season, then he pencils himself in for a couple more years and its "yer he's got a good engine on him, he'll do alright".

Just wait till people are reminded of just how anonmous he is this coming season and we'll be back to "O'connor is dog poo " again.

He was a massive factor in us having one of the weakest midfields ever seen, nothing has changed.

He's only re-signed for a year and I don't think he'll be a regular once we've brought others in.

GM obviously like his attitude or wants some ginger company, who knows but I trust him to get us up.

Guest wilyfox

say what you like about O'Connor, but i'm not too disheartened by him signing for another year. i don't think he'll start too many games with Prutton's arrival anyway. But O'Connor does have some plus points - he works tirelessly and can run all day, great engine, is very disciplined, Megson has already said he trains like a dream, he gets the occasional goal, and importantly he keeps fit and healthy. i can't recall him missing games through injury during the three years he's been with us. with all the crocks we've had and the inevitable injuries we'll pick up during the course of the season, he could be of use...

say what you like about O'Connor, but i'm not too disheartened by him signing for another year. i don't think he'll start too many games with Prutton's arrival anyway. But O'Connor does have some plus points - he works tirelessly and can run all day, great engine, is very disciplined, Megson has already said he trains like a dream, he gets the occasional goal, and importantly he keeps fit and healthy. i can't recall him missing games through injury during the three years he's been with us. with all the crocks we've had and the inevitable injuries we'll pick up during the course of the season, he could be of use...

He is not disciplined. He is anything but.

Guest Darkus Owlus

He's only re-signed for a year and I don't think he'll be a regular once we've brought others in.

GM obviously like his attitude or wants some ginger company, who knows but I trust him to get us up.

Sorry i thought it was two years my mistake.

But as much as O'Clapper is a very nice guy with an unquestionable attitude, it's difficult for me to accept justifying a contract extension based on a really, really poor season for him.

Regular or not, if you've under performed (which he has consistently) we shouldn't be looking to extend - we did this when we were saddled with debt because we had to.

I know he's going to be a rotational player but the fact he's been totally, totally ineffective and proven that on a consistent basis.

I do trust Megson to get us Promoted completely but I don't think he saw the added appauling midfield displays from him when Irvine was incharge as well. It was literally like we were playing with some sort of disability.

He is not disciplined. He is anything but.

I agree with this he isn't disciplined at all. A disciplined player knows there is a time to put a tackle in, and a time to just jockey the opposing player. JOC dives in far too frequently, he is often late, and gives far too many free kicks away. I admire his enthusiasm, and his endless energy, but if they were the only two qualities required, then my dog would merit a shirt.

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

By three I mean five.......er if you know what I mean. He likes to play three in central midfield with two wide. I agree this works for us but it worked better when the wide players were wide attackers and not wingers. For me the period when we played just Madine up front was turgid beyond belief. We looked much more potent when we played Johnson and Mellor as wide attackers.

Guest wilyfox

can't really talk about formations until the squad is complete. a couple of smart additions could completely change the way we're able to play.