I took the future wife to her first ever game, not a bad way to start.

Nice one Hootie!

On the Tony Currie line, I too saw Currie play quite a lot and it has to be said he was absolute class. The only reason we hated him so much was because he was playing for the piggies not us (and again it has to be said a pretty good piggies side too!). I don't think there was a Wednesday fan around at the time who wouldn't have wanted him in our side.

Currie ended up having the same problem as Hoddle, our own Chris Waddle and Le Tissier in that his talent wasn't properly appreciated or utilised by England otherwise he would have got far more caps than he did.

Hootie, my original post said:

"I am the staunchest Wednesday fan you will ever meet but I have to admit that if you are judging them on pure football ability Tony Currie was far better than John Sheridan. Sorry to break the bad news!

I was comparing the two as footballers, not what the teams they played for achieved.

I saw Tony Currie play on many occasions as my father was a United fan and used to drag me down to the sty to try and rid me of my blue and white demons. Tony Currie was far superior as a player to John Sheridan and was one of the few naturally gifted flair players that have ever played for either Sheffield club.

John Sheridan is my type of footballer, he could pass, had vision, invention and ability. He was the fulcrum in the best Sheffield Wednesday team that I have ever seen play. Unfortunately I have seen Tony Curry rip teams apart and do things with a football that I have only seen Waddle and Di Canio get anywhere near in a blue and white shirt.

Thankfully Currie never excited me by making a noise with leather on metal in a way that only Jon Sheridan has.

if currie was that good why wasnt he an england regular when we had arguably our worst ever team ? My opinion ; he was a mood player who didnt put the work in to make the most of his undoubted talent . Sheridan on the other hand was rated by many as the best passer of ahis era and not just wednesdayites was very consistent and achieved far more . i would say le tissier had more talent than say bryan robson , frank lampard or stevie g but i know wich 3 i would sign or pick first . As for waddle he was on a different planet to currie . 60 odd caps 2 world cups , french titles ,fa , league and european cup finals aswell player puts TC well in the shade

There's no way these can be objective debates sadly - nevertheless they make for good argument but unfortunately football fans are too prone to stick the blinkers on and take offence at anybody who tries to offer counter-argument.

Firstly Shez was a hero - no arguing with that - but hewasn't the best midfielder of his generation - far from it - and neither was he the best passer of the ball in football - far from it.

That doesn't mean he wasn't an enormously influential player for us and one for which there is still a huge amount of affection.

As for Currie?

I saw him playing for England at Wembley v Brazil and he was the classiest player on the pitch - the main reason he didn't win more England caps (and its absurd to compare having to win England caps vs ROI caps - its always been easier to play for ROI) was that it was considered at the time that the selection dichotomy was EITHER Currie OR Brooking - now not only was a Brooking an England darling at the time (2nd only to the mercurial KK) and also the guy doing the selection was Brookings former WHU manager

As said earlier if it comes down to just football ability then i too would say Currie gets the nod - if people just wanna trot out stas about who won what then obviously Shezza is miles away from being a top midfielder of his era - he'd be behind the likes of Clayton Blackmore - which is nonsense

There's no way these can be objective debates sadly - nevertheless they make for good argument but unfortunately football fans are too prone to stick the blinkers on and take offence at anybody who tries to offer counter-argument.

Firstly Shez was a hero - no arguing with that - but hewasn't the best midfielder of his generation - far from it - and neither was he the best passer of the ball in football - far from it.

That doesn't mean he wasn't an enormously influential player for us and one for which there is still a huge amount of affection.

As for Currie?

I saw him playing for England at Wembley v Brazil and he was the classiest player on the pitch - the main reason he didn't win more England caps (and its absurd to compare having to win England caps vs ROI caps - its always been easier to play for ROI) was that it was considered at the time that the selection dichotomy was EITHER Currie OR Brooking - now not only was a Brooking an England darling at the time (2nd only to the mercurial KK) and also the guy doing the selection was Brookings former WHU manager

As said earlier if it comes down to just football ability then i too would say Currie gets the nod - if people just wanna trot out stas about who won what then obviously Shezza is miles away from being a top midfielder of his era - he'd be behind the likes of Clayton Blackmore - which is nonsense

spot on scram ....

In my lifetime, I can't think of any other United player (other than Currie) that would get in a 'Sheffield 11'.

It would be totally Wednesday dominated. 10/1.

I've just been thinking about that, and to be honest I haven't seen United that often over the years so it's difficult. The two young Kyles look decent, but neither would be in my team ahead of Nilsson. Brian Deane was a handful, but we have Hirst, Di Canio, Bright, Williams and Carbone all of whom I'd pick before Deane. United haven't really had any top players since Currie, so I'd guess you are right, it would be totally Wednesday dominated.

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

I've just been thinking about that, and to be honest I haven't seen United that often over the years so it's difficult. The two young Kyles look decent, but neither would be in my team ahead of Nilsson. Brian Deane was a handful, but we have Hirst, Di Canio, Bright, Williams and Carbone all of whom I'd pick before Deane. United haven't really had any top players since Currie, so I'd guess you are right, it would be totally Wednesday dominated.

From our history, we really do have an abundance of riches (in every position) going from the 60's to the end of the 90's.

Ron Springett, Swan, McCalliog, Fantham - to start with from yesteryear. That is leaving out Dooley, because he was before my time.

The problem would be who to leave out.

I really can't say that about United - and that is trying to be fair.

As I said he wasn't the best player ever, but there is no one in whole wide World I enjoyed watching play more than John Sheridan.

It is amazing what career he carved for himself, and what a player he was considering that man didn't have a single physical requirement to be pro footballer. He never had a great engine, was slow as hell, couldn't out-muscle anyone on the ball, or get his feet of the ground. Must be one of the most intelligent players ever to make it work for himself.

He was a key player in one of the best generations we ever had, and truth be told I wouldn't want anyone else pulling the strings from midfield in that team. I sometimes find myself daydreaming what would have been in that first season back in top league if he didn't get injured at key time, could we have nicked it...

I know I will get eaten alive for stating it again - but I've never ever seen better passer of the ball then Shezz. There is no one else I've seen play the through ball from central circle in 10'th second of the game, through almost entire opposition team to put his striker one on one with the keeper.

Agree with both you and scram.

Who would be the other - out of interest?

would have to switch waddle to the left to accomodate him ....alan woodward ......played for years scored a load of goals for a winger and a lot worse players than him got england caps.

would have to switch waddle to the left to accomodate him ....alan woodward ......played for years scored a load of goals for a winger and a lot worse players than him got england caps.

Really?

I thought you might suggest him. He was a good player for them, but he wouldn't be in my team.

It is all about opinions though.

Really?

I thought you might suggest him. He was a good player for them, but he wouldn't be in my team.

It is all about opinions though.

To be fair, Woodward sprung to mind for me as well. Certainly would make the squad if not the team! Incidentally he did get capped for England just the once. As for the rest of the team, although United did have some decent players, the overall quality that Wednesday produced in similar positions was much better and we would dominate any Sheffield 11 (probably 8 or 9 out of the 11 positions available).

To be fair, Woodward sprung to mind for me as well. Certainly would make the squad if not the team! Incidentally he did get capped for England just the once. As for the rest of the team, although United did have some decent players, the overall quality that Wednesday produced in similar positions was much better and we would dominate any Sheffield 11 (probably 8 or 9 out of the 11 positions available).

cant find any record of woodward getting a cap ......and very disappointed that you can possibly get a 3rd blade into the sheffield eleven ....who you got in mind !!!!!