I remember Blades at school telling me Glynn hodges was better than Sheridan. It usually followed them saying Brian Deane was better than David Hirst. God, they've always been annoying.

Perhaps they were... But certainly not in playing football :rolleyes:

We really don't need to wait for him to be great again. in any case, bit unfair to place such a burden on any manager's shoulders, never mind one who has only managed in L1 and L2.

It's John's destiny to be our manager, he's currently serving his apprenticeship.

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

I am the staunchest Wednesday fan you will ever meet but I have to admit that if you are judging them on pure football ability Tony Currie was far better than John Sheridan. Sorry to break the bad news! :ph34r:

Other than the odd highlight on Match of the Day, I never saw Currie play. But just looking at statistics, Currie never won any honours, he never played club football in europe, his one real highlight was as a losing F.A.Cup finalist while playing for QPR. He achieved 8 England caps while playing for United, he gained a further 11 England caps while playing for Leeds. Currie's highest league finish as a player was a fifth place finish with Leeds which qualified them for the Euefa cup, but Currie was sold before he had chance to play in Europe.

John Sheridan on the other hand, John won a League cup with Wednesday, scoring the winning goal at Wembley (a feat most players never achieve) Sheridan played in europe with Wednesday. He was part of the Wednesday team that enjoyed a top 3 finish in the top tier. Sheridan's international career was more impressive than Currie's too. John gained 34 full international caps, he took part in Euro 88, and was part of the Rep Of Ireland's squad in two world cups (1990 and 1994) John came on as a substitute for his one appearance in 1990, while in 94 he started all 4 games. John's goal coming in a 3-1 defeat against Spain was the goal that qualified Rep of Ireland for the world cup on goal difference, a 3-0 defeat would have mean't they missed qualification.

I've always thought Unitedites go overboard when they get a semi decent player, it's due to the fact they don't get that many. I have mates who think Keith edwards was far superior to any striker we've ever had, most of them are delusional. If you say Currie was a better player than Sheridan, then not being able to judge for myself, I'll have to take your word for it, but given the choice, I know who's career I would rather have had, and it isn't Currie's.

If you say Currie was a better player than Sheridan, then not being able to judge for myself, I'll have to take your word for it, but given the choice, I know who's career I would rather have had, and it isn't Currie's.

Difficult to compare and contrast really. Different era as well.

But Currie was a very, very good player. I have seen him in the flesh, too.

Other than the odd highlight on Match of the Day, I never saw Currie play. But just looking at statistics, Currie never won any honours, he never played club football in europe, his one real highlight was as a losing F.A.Cup finalist while playing for QPR. He achieved 8 England caps while playing for United, he gained a further 11 England caps while playing for Leeds. Currie's highest league finish as a player was a fifth place finish with Leeds which qualified them for the Euefa cup, but Currie was sold before he had chance to play in Europe.

John Sheridan on the other hand, John won a League cup with Wednesday, scoring the winning goal at Wembley (a feat most players never achieve) Sheridan played in europe with Wednesday. He was part of the Wednesday team that enjoyed a top 3 finish in the top tier. Sheridan's international career was more impressive than Currie's too. John gained 34 full international caps, he took part in Euro 88, and was part of the Rep Of Ireland's squad in two world cups (1990 and 1994) John came on as a substitute for his one appearance in 1990, while in 94 he started all 4 games. John's goal coming in a 3-1 defeat against Spain was the goal that qualified Rep of Ireland for the world cup on goal difference, a 3-0 defeat would have mean't they missed qualification.

I've always thought Unitedites go overboard when they get a semi decent player, it's due to the fact they don't get that many. I have mates who think Keith edwards was far superior to any striker we've ever had, most of them are delusional. If you say Currie was a better player than Sheridan, then not being able to judge for myself, I'll have to take your word for it, but given the choice, I know who's career I would rather have had, and it isn't Currie's.

Hootie, my original post said:

"I am the staunchest Wednesday fan you will ever meet but I have to admit that if you are judging them on pure football ability Tony Currie was far better than John Sheridan. Sorry to break the bad news!

I was comparing the two as footballers, not what the teams they played for achieved.

I saw Tony Currie play on many occasions as my father was a United fan and used to drag me down to the sty to try and rid me of my blue and white demons. Tony Currie was far superior as a player to John Sheridan and was one of the few naturally gifted flair players that have ever played for either Sheffield club.

John Sheridan is my type of footballer, he could pass, had vision, invention and ability. He was the fulcrum in the best Sheffield Wednesday team that I have ever seen play. Unfortunately I have seen Tony Curry rip teams apart and do things with a football that I have only seen Waddle and Di Canio get anywhere near in a blue and white shirt.

Thankfully Currie never excited me by making a noise with leather on metal in a way that only Jon Sheridan has.

Them blunts haven't had many players that better the ones we've had. I always remember kids at school banging on about Brian Deane being better than Hirsty. Currie I've heard by all accounts was a great player, but these players for united are few and far between, they've not had a lot of greats and internationals likes of waddle, Di canio, carbone, Hirsty, harks, warhurst and shezza. Their jealousy is based on their inability to have had such wonderful players at the lane.

Hootie, my original post said:

"I am the staunchest Wednesday fan you will ever meet but I have to admit that if you are judging them on pure football ability Tony Currie was far better than John Sheridan. Sorry to break the bad news!

I was comparing the two as footballers, not what the teams they played for achieved.

I saw Tony Currie play on many occasions as my father was a United fan and used to drag me down to the sty to try and rid me of my blue and white demons. Tony Currie was far superior as a player to John Sheridan and was one of the few naturally gifted flair players that have ever played for either Sheffield club.

John Sheridan is my type of footballer, he could pass, had vision, invention and ability. He was the fulcrum in the best Sheffield Wednesday team that I have ever seen play. Unfortunately I have seen Tony Curry rip teams apart and do things with a football that I have only seen Waddle and Di Canio get anywhere near in a blue and white shirt.

Thankfully Currie never excited me by making a noise with leather on metal in a way that only Jon Sheridan has.

I wasn't having a go at you Baron. I've nothing to judge Currie on, apart from a few snippets. If you say he had more football ability, I'll take your word for it. The only goal I can remember from Currie was the one v West Ham, and not having seen it for a long time, I don't remember that much about it. Sheridan's career was littered with great goals. The one he scored in the Zenith Data was as good as they come, I've seen a lot of clips of Sheridan on Youtube, and some of his best goals came for Leeds. I don't even know what type of goalscorer Currie was, I seem to remember he could hit a ball, and he did this little shuffle circus trick thing, but he's only really remembered in as a great in parts of Sheffield, for what I can remember I thought Stan Bowles was the better player, but maybe I'm biased.

Would Sheridan have been a good player in Currie's era? I think Currie's era would have suited Sheridan more. Would Currie have been a good player in Sheridan's era? probably, but the game was a lot faster in Sheridan's era. I watch games today, and some players are fit as fuuck, some seem to be more like olympic sprinters than footballers, and a lot of them possess a first touch like an olympic sprinter too. I think many players of yesteryear would find it tough today, I'm not saying they couldn't do it, but they would need to be a whole lot fitter.

My own hero is Waddle, we got him at a time when he was as good as anything in the country. I've seen other great footballers at Hillsborough too, Di Canio, Nilsson, Petrescu, Carbone, Hirst etc. These players regularly had me on the edge of my seat. I've never seen a United player who comes anywhere near the any of these players.

I wasn't having a go at you Baron. I've nothing to judge Currie on, apart from a few snippets. If you say he had more football ability, I'll take your word for it. The only goal I can remember from Currie was the one v West Ham, and not having seen it for a long time, I don't remember that much about it. Sheridan's career was littered with great goals. The one he scored in the Zenith Data was as good as they come, I've seen a lot of clips of Sheridan on Youtube, and some of his best goals came for Leeds. I don't even know what type of goalscorer Currie was, I seem to remember he could hit a ball, and he did this little shuffle circus trick thing, but he's only really remembered in as a great in parts of Sheffield, for what I can remember I thought Stan Bowles was the better player, but maybe I'm biased.

Would Sheridan have been a good player in Currie's era? I think Currie's era would have suited Sheridan more. Would Currie have been a good player in Sheridan's era? probably, but the game was a lot faster in Sheridan's era. I watch games today, and some players are fit as fuuck, some seem to be more like olympic sprinters than footballers, and a lot of them possess a first touch like an olympic sprinter too. I think many players of yesteryear would find it tough today, I'm not saying they couldn't do it, but they would need to be a whole lot fitter.

My own hero is Waddle, we got him at a time when he was as good as anything in the country. I've seen other great footballers at Hillsborough too, Di Canio, Nilsson, Petrescu, Carbone, Hirst etc. These players regularly had me on the edge of my seat. I've never seen a United player who comes anywhere near the any of these players.

Like I said world class players just haven't graced t'lane like they have hillsborough

You can't compare them, sorry. Not the same type of player or role.

Waddle was better than Di Canio IMO.

He was yes, but like you said different players, from what I've seen waddle was similar type of player to Currie, is this true ???

Sheridan, as good a player as he was, did not have everything, he couldn't tackle and would not out-physical other midfielders. However Ron, built a team that allowed him to do the things he did best, a massive part of this was mr c palmer.

I also remember him being booed at one point, quite roundly by the home fans - ridiculous really!

Anyway time has served John well and he will always get a warm welcome at hillsborough!

He was yes, but like you said different players, from what I've seen waddle was similar type of player to Currie, is this true ???

Waddle played predominantly as a forward/winger.

Currie was a midfielder. But he was an attacking midfielder (not so good defensively).

Obviously, both enormously skillful 'on the ball'. So in that way, yes.

But they were not similar IMO (if that makes sense).

Waddle played predominantly as a forward/winger.

Currie was a midfielder. But he was an attacking midfielder (not so good defensively).

Obviously, both enormously skillful 'on the ball'. So in that way, yes.

But they were not similar IMO (if that makes sense).

just what I have seen of TC looks like the same playing style. Still Johnny Sheridan is a Wednesday legend.

This one had me in tears.

Me too, literally!

I was in the back row of the Olympic Gallery and when it went in, I punched the air and hit the roof support! My hand hurt like hell for the next four weeks!blush.gif

Me too, literally!

I was in the back row of the Olympic Gallery and when it went in, I punched the air and hit the roof support! My hand hurt like hell for the next four weeks!blush.gif

I took the future wife to her first ever game, not a bad way to start.