The Wednesday Cricket Club (1820-1924)

Upon reading that there was an article on the old cricket club to which the football club of today owes its existence, I knew I had to take a trip to Sheffield Library to find it and bring it to people's attention.

What I found was amazing.

On 20th April 1896, just two days after the footballers lifted the FA Cup for the first time, the Sheffield Independent published a letter read by L. A. Morley at a recent meeting of the Cricket Club. Morley, who had played a game in the FA Cup for the footballers, and therefore earns himself a place in the history books of the club's winter sport, was very articulate, and very enthusiastic when it came to the club.

The scan I printed was of poor quality, and it would be very difficult for people to read on here, so I shall transcribe the article, spanning six columns, if there is appetite to see it.

Below is the 'first chapter'. If enough people are interested, I'll do a bit more tomorrow - it'll be an exhaustive task to finish!

Up the Wednesday! 191 years old!

Sheffield Independent, 20th April 1896

THE OLD WEDNESDAY CRICKET CLUB

The following paper on cricket, referring especially to the past history of the old Sheffield Wednesday Cricket Club (established 1820), the work of L. A. Morley, the enthusiastic secretary, who read it before the committee of the club at a meeting held a few weeks ago, will doubtless be perused with interest by our cricket readers :-

Mr. President and gentlemen,

"To be, or not to be?" is the question asked today in cricket circles, when speaking of the old Wednesday club, indeed I am afraid there have been doubts in the minds of some of our own members and supporters. Of course we cannot be altogether surprised at this, the fact of our being without a ground for several seasons, and only playing some half-dozen matches each year, has naturally given a certain amount of "colour" to such a contingency.

I have been a member about twenty years, and during that period have found many sincere friends; and it was in thinking over old times, and comparing them with the present, that it occurred to me, if I could have possession of all the books connected with the club from the year it was established, I might find information sufficiently interesting to put before its members and friends; and I was not without hope that they might say to themselves, as most of us present have said, that the old club, with such a glorious past, and which has done so much for cricket in general - and Sheffield cricket in particular - must never sink into oblivion without a strong effort to avert it.

It will be admitted that few existing clubs have greater reason to be proud of their history than has the "Old" Sheffield Wednesday. It is fully entitled to its venerable prefix, having been established so far back as 1820.

Undoubtedly, many important and interesting incidents have transpired during its lengthened and hitherto prosperous career. It has fought many battles and witnessed many changes. The loyal support given, and time devoted to its welfare, by many of Sheffield's worthiest townsmen, in its early stages, cannot be valued too highly, and should not readily be forgotten, for the manner in which they steered the club through stormy times - of which few can speak except from record - deserves the heartiest thanks of all true lovers of the game.

Edited by KivoOwl

Chapter 2 -

Unfortunately, gentlemen, some of the old books of the Club are at present missing, and I have experienced much difficulty in obtaining reliable information, and I am quite cognisant of the fact that there is much of general interest to be left unsaid; however if any friend of cricket will come forward and help to make the record more complete, I shall be glad, and feel that my weak effort has not been altogether futile.

We say - and believe - that the club was founded in 1820; we are quite correct in doing so. It was established chiefly by tradesmen, Wednesday being their "off" day; and when we bear in mind that, at the period alluded to, there existed clubs named Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday, it is not difficult to understand why the name "Wednesday" was adopted.

I am able, through the kindness of one of our oldest members (Mr. Hy. Stratford) to prove, beyond doubt, the date of its birth, for he has a record of old Sheffield cricket which gives particulars of a match played in tha year.

Its earliest opponents were the Thursday and Friday clubs; of course a host of others have sprung up since then, who have been powerful opponents, have lived and prospered for a time, but for different reasons have long ago "ceased to be". I might mention, among others, Harewood, Barrow Hill, Mechanics, Norfolk, Tapton, Fitzalan, Endcliffe, and later, McKenzie, Albion, and Shrewsbury.

The clubs at present existing, which have been met by Wednesday - off and on - during the last forty years, are Glossop, Hallam, Pitsmoor, Worksop, Barnsley, Denton, Elsecar, Holbeck and Collegiate. Scarboro', Notts Commercial, Lascelles Hall, Bradford, Lockwood, and Riddings, were also amongst the fixtures thirty years ago.

I feel I must say a word at this point respecting Glossop. Although they are well aware that we have been without a ground, and could not be said to be in a flourishing condition, their committee, players, and spectators, still look forward with pleasure to the visit of "Wednesday" during their "Wakes". It is ever a delightful outing and pleasant fixture. Any cricketer who has once been with us to Glossop would make an effort to renew his visit. There is the knowledge that, win or lose, we are always welcome; good cricket is recognised all round. The game is played fairly, keenly, and thoroughly, and whatever the result, every man feels that his day has been well spent, and he recognises to the full the pleasure and benefit of a healthy and friendly game of cricket. Long may the two clubs meet.

Chapter 3 -

I have prepared as complete a list as I could of presidents and secretaries since the club's formation, and from it I read names which are familiar to most of us present, viz : Messrs. W. Stratford, R. Gillott, Benj. Chatterton and H. Hawksley, presidents; and Messrs. John Tasker, Geo. Skinner, T. J. Anderson, and W. Littlehales, secretaries.

Mr. Hawksley - whom we all knew so well and respected so much - first joined the club in 1865, was elected vice-president in 1868, and president in 1870, which office he held up to his decease in 1887. He was also president of the football club seventeen years ago, Mr. Jno. Holmes, the present "president", succeeding him.

And is it not a pleasing feature in connection with the old club that our present worthy and esteemed present (Mr. W. Tasker) is a son of the late Mr. Jno. Tasker, (of telephone fame.) who was honorary secretary forty years ago? Again the "Stratford" family have been connected with the club and have done their full share of work since its commencement; in fact Mr. Hy. Stratford's father (William), and Messrs J. Southren, T. Lindley, Hy. Woolhouse, George Dawson and George Hardisty were responsible for the club's formation. Mr. H. E. Pearson has also been a member twenty-four years, has played for the Colts and the County, and is still a playing member of some "weight".

The first efforts of the club were witnessed on the old Darnall ground, afterwards the famous Hyde Park was the scene of its many exploits; indeed it remained the battle ground until a wicket was taken at Bramall Lane, in 1856, where we remained until the United club gave us, among others, notice to quit in '93.

Chapter 3 -

I have prepared as complete a list as I could of presidents and secretaries since the club's formation, and from it I read names which are familiar to most of us present, viz : Messrs. W. Stratford, R. Gillott, Benj. Chatterton and H. Hawksley, presidents; and Messrs. John Tasker, Geo. Skinner, T. J. Anderson, and W. Littlehales, secretaries.

Mr. Hawksley - whom we all knew so well and respected so much - first joined the club in 1865, was elected vice-president in 1868, and president in 1870, which office he held up to his decease in 1887. He was also president of the football club seventeen years ago, Mr. Jno. Holmes, the present "president", succeeding him.

And is it not a pleasing feature in connection with the old club that our present worthy and esteemed present (Mr. W. Tasker) is a son of the late Mr. Jno. Tasker, (of telephone fame.) who was honorary secretary forty years ago? Again the "Stratford" family have been connected with the club and have done their full share of work since its commencement; in fact Mr. Hy. Stratford's father (William), and Messrs J. Southren, T. Lindley, Hy. Woolhouse, George Dawson and George Hardisty were responsible for the club's formation. Mr. H. E. Pearson has also been a member twenty-four years, has played for the Colts and the County, and is still a playing member of some "weight".

The first efforts of the club were witnessed on the old Darnall ground, afterwards the famous Hyde Park was the scene of its many exploits; indeed it remained the battle ground until a wicket was taken at Bramall Lane, in 1856, where we remained until the United club gave us, among others, notice to quit in '93.

Bloody hell imagine if we could look into that sentence and find a loophole where we had been evicted unlawfully!....

Then go back and claim the land....be bloody brilliant that...

"Dear Mr McCabe it has come to the courts attention that you unlawfully evicted the Sheffield Wednesday cricket club from your ground in 1893,

This court has found that Clegg Clegg Clegg Cleggitty Clegg and Clegg were within their rights to play the Argentine wicketkeeper "Tevez" and the eviction notice that followed his 5 catches against Heeley Bottom Piggeries" is now deemed as unlawful.

"After much painstaking research the Court now decides the land is owned by the offshot of the cricket club..namely Sheffield Wednesday football club..or as we now know the institution "The FAMOUS Sheffield Wednesday Football club" who are in fact "Over here and over there..its the Famous Sheffield Wednesday everywhere"..in the opinion of this court.

Magnanimously the aforesaid FAMOUS football team have decided that you can keep the car park, where most .

your fans tend to congregate....but the stadium itself is to be used as a landfill site

Your protestations that this would ruin the football club have been taken into account, but the fact that you seem to be doing that anyroad up makes the point moot

Please vacate the rubbish tip before August 2011"

Edited by asteener1867

Chapter 4 - (took an hour to type!)

Now, inasmuch as the club holds the valuable silver cup which was presented to the renowned Tom Marsden in 1830; I thought it would be of interest to have a correct account of the match, and of the marvellous innings of 227 played by that famous cricketer. Much has been written and said on this subject at different times, but through the kindness of an old member I am in a position to give a little further information; and, in doing so, I will give you the particulars as I copied them from a book in his possession. They are as follow: -

"A correct statement of the important cricket match, Sheffield, with five of Leicester, v Nottingham County at Darnall, for 200 guineas, on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday, 24th, 25th, and 26th July 1826, witnessed by 30,000 spectators, in glorious weather. Sheffield's innings: first ball bowled by Barker, on Monday, at 5.25pm, and last ball by Clarke, on Wednesday, at 2.50pm. Notts second innings: first ball by Marsden, on Wednesday, at 3.15pm, and last man stumped by Vincent, at 5.30pm."

It also appears that four balls constituted an over, and that Marsden only scored two fours. This, I think, speaks volumes as to the patient batting he must have exhibited, especially when we bear in mind he was meeting Clarke's "lobs", and that Notts fielded smartly throughout.

In turning to the old newspaper files, I find the "Sheffield Iris" and "Sheffield Mercury" dealt but briefly with the match, but the "Sheffield Independent and Yorkshire and Derbyshire Advertiser" gave a graphic description - nearly two columns. It appears there was a slight "hitch" at the start, as the Notts men did not bring the umpire who had been agreed upon. It comments on what is termed "the unprecedented feat of eight overs being bowled by Marsden for only six runs." and again it mentions that he struck one ball, which dropped clean out of the ground, 130 yards from his bat; and after noting that 119 notches were scored in two hours - a performance which the oldest annals of cricket afford no parallel - it concludes as follows: - "We do not wish to enjoy a triumph immoderately, but the Rangers of Nottingham Forest have boasted so much of their own prowess, and in such unreasonable terms have ridiculed what they were pleased to call "boys' play" of their adversaries, that we feel an honest and proper satisfaction in telling them and their fellow townsmen that one man has beaten 22 of them, and if any foreigners were present they might have beheld a national sport, unrivalled by the atheltic amusements of any people whatever, and give our countrymen the honour of - in part - reviving the habits of those glorious men of antiquity, who very properly believed that the health and excellence of the human intellect was inseparable from the activity and physical capablities of the body."

I here append the full scores: -

SHEFFIELD AND LEICESTER

SHEFFIELD - First innings

Barber, b Barker..........11

Shelton, c Dennis.........0

Davis, b Barker............27

Vincent, b Jarvis..........16

Marsden, c Barker........227

Gambles, c Bramby......61

Howston, c Bramby......0

Woolhouse, lbw...........0

Dearman, hit wicket......27

Squires, b Clarke...........0

Rollins, not....................0

..........Byes.....................10

BOWLING ANALYSIS

............................Overs.....Runs

Barker....................80..........150

Clarke....................77..........161

Jarvis.....................15...........42

Dennis...................1.............10

NOTTS - First innings

Barker, b Rollins..........9

C. Jarvis, c Howston....3

Clarke, b Marsden........5

Smith, run out...............6

Dennis, b Marsden........1

R. Warsop, b Marsden..3

Kettleban, b Marsden....6

Goodall, c Woolhouse..11

Bramby, not out............20

G. Jarvis, c Rollins........20

Thorp, b Rollins............12

..........Byes....................5

Second innings

Barker, st Vincent............16

C. Jarvis, c Gambles........13

Clarke, b Marsden............8

Smith, c Davis..................0

Dennis, b Marsden............1

R. Warsop, c Woolhouse..4

Kettleban, c Vincent.........3

Goodall, not out................5

Bramby, b Shelton............4

G. Jarvis, b Shelton..........14

Thorp, st Vincent.............2

..........Byes........................5

BOWLING ANALYSIS

First innings

Marsden.................28..........51

Rollins...................28..........45

Second innings

Marsden.................16..........23

Rollins...................23..........32

Shelton..................7............13

I am sure you will forgive me for dwelling so long on this subject - for he was a Wednesday man - and I will conclude by regaling the jist of an interesting conversation I once had with an old Sheffield gentleman respecting this match. He said: - "O, yes, I knew Tom Marsden well; he was born in the Brocco, and was often styled by Sheffielders as the 'Brocco lad'. I saw him make his great score at Darnall - every notch. He was left-handed. It was a splendid and exciting match, for the Notts men fielded well up to the finish. Poor 'Tom' was interred at St. James' Churchyard at the early age of thirty-nine."

And gentlemen, when we think of him as the "W.G" of his day; at the glorious ovation he recieved at the close of his magnificent innings; of his great popularity; and of his early death; it requires no mastermind to agree with Byron in his conclusion, 'that the sum of human knowledge is mortal nature's nothingness' and clearer do we recognise this when we think of the number of friends who have been removed from our midst, even during the last twenty years.

I feel I should at this point also refer to a ball used in the great match, which was presented to the club by Mr. J. G. Shepherd, of Broomhill, and which was so beautifully mounted by Messrs. H. Stratford and Sons, forming an exceeding interesting relic of the great game.

Edited by KivoOwl

Thank you for digging that article out of the archives and transcribing it. I've sat and looked at my photocopy many times, and I can barely make out a word, because it is such a poor copy. It is fascinating to finally be able to read it.

I do wonder a little at the name of our club.

The implication is that they were tradesmen playing on their half day off, however if everyone had the same half day off, how could they ever play the members of the Monday Club, or the Tuesday Club, or Thursday or Friday clubs?

I would like to find out more about the founders of the Wednesday Club, William Stratford, J. Southron, T. Lindley, H. Woolhouse, G. Dawson and G. Hardisty to see just what sort of men they were. Keith Farnsworth, in his "Before and After Bramall Lane" describes them as "not only some of the town's best players, but several leading small manufacturers".

Did each profession have it's own half day, and so all the butchers belonged to the Monday Club, and the bakers to the Tuesday club, or was there more to the name than meets the eye?

Chapter 4 - (took an hour to type!)

Now, inasmuch as the club holds the valuable silver cup which was presented to the renowned Tom Marsden in 1830; I thought it would be of interest to have a correct account of the match, and of the marvellous innings of 227 played by that famous cricketer. Much has been written and said on this subject at different times, but through the kindness of an old member I am in a position to give a little further information; and, in doing so, I will give you the particulars as I copied them from a book in his possession. They are as follow: -

"A correct statement of the important cricket match, Sheffield, with five of Leicester, v Nottingham County at Darnall, for 200 guineas, on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday, 24th, 25th, and 26th July 1826, witnessed by 30,000 spectators, in glorious weather. Sheffield's innings: first ball bowled by Barker, on Monday, at 5.25pm, and last ball by Clarke, on Wednesday, at 2.50pm. Notts second innings: first ball by Marsden, on Wednesday, at 3.15pm, and last man stumped by Vincent, at 5.30pm."

It also appears that four balls constituted an over, and that Marsden only scored two fours. This, I think, speaks volumes as to the patient batting he must have exhibited, especially when we bear in mind he was meeting Clarke's "lobs", and that Notts fielded smartly throughout.

In turning to the old newspaper files, I find the "Sheffield Iris" and "Sheffield Mercury" dealt but briefly with the match, but the "Sheffield Independent and Yorkshire and Derbyshire Advertiser" gave a graphic description - nearly two columns. It appears there was a slight "hitch" at the start, as the Notts men did not bring the umpire who had been agreed upon. It comments on what is termed "the unprecedented feat of eight overs being bowled by Marsden for only six runs." and again it mentions that he struck one ball, which dropped clean out of the ground, 130 yards from his bat; and after noting that 119 notches were scored in two hours - a performance which the oldest annals of cricket afford no parallel - it concludes as follows: - "We do not wish to enjoy a triumph immoderately, but the Rangers of Nottingham Forest have boasted so much of their own prowess, and in such unreasonable terms have ridiculed what they were pleased to call "boys' play" of their adversaries, that we feel an honest and proper satisfaction in telling them and their fellow townsmen that one man has beaten 22 of them, and if any foreigners were present they might have beheld a national sport, unrivalled by the atheltic amusements of any people whatever, and give our countrymen the honour of - in part - reviving the habits of those glorious men of antiquity, who very properly believed that the health and excellence of the human intellect was inseparable from the activity and physical capablities of the body."

I here append the full scores: -

SHEFFIELD AND LEICESTER

SHEFFIELD - First innings

Barber, b Barker..........11

Shelton, c Dennis.........0

Davis, b Barker............27

Vincent, b Jarvis..........16

Marsden, c Barker........227

Gambles, c Bramby......61

Howston, c Bramby......0

Woolhouse, lbw...........0

Dearman, hit wicket......27

Squires, b Clarke...........0

Rollins, not....................0

..........Byes.....................10

BOWLING ANALYSIS

Barker....................80..........150

Clarke....................77..........161

Jarvis.....................15...........42

Dennis...................1.............10

NOTTS - First innings

Barker, b Rollins..........9

C. Jarvis, c Howston....3

Clarke, b Marsden........5

Smith, run out...............6

Dennis, b Marsden........1

R. Warsop, b Marsden..3

Kettleban, b Marsden....6

Goodall, c Woolhouse..11

Bramby, not out............20

G. Jarvis, c Rollins........20

Thorp, b Rollins............12

..........Byes....................5

Second innings

Barker, st Vincent............16

C. Jarvis, c Gambles........13

Clarke, b Marsden............8

Smith, c Davis..................0

Dennis, b Marsden............1

R. Warsop, c Woolhouse..4

Kettleban, c Vincent.........3

Goodall, not out................5

Bramby, b Shelton............4

G. Jarvis, b Shelton..........14

Thorp, st Vincent.............2

..........Byes........................5

BOWLING ANALYSIS

First innings

Marsden.................28..........51

Rollins...................28..........45

Second innings

Marsden.................16..........23

Rollins...................23..........32

Shelton..................7............13

I am sure you will forgive me for dwelling so long on this subject - for he was a Wednesday man - and I will conclude by regaling the jist of an interesting conversation I once had with an old Sheffield gentleman respecting this match. He said: - "O, yes, I knew Tom Marsden well; he was born in the Brocco, and was often styled by Sheffielders as the 'Brocco lad'. I saw him make his great score at Darnall - every notch. He was left-handed. It was a splendid and exciting match, for the Notts men fielded well up to the finish. Poor 'Tom' was interred at St. James' Churchyard at the early age of thirty-nine."

And gentlemen, when we think of him as the "W.G" of his day; at the glorious ovation he recieved at the close of his magnificent innings; of his great popularity; and of his early death; it requires no mastermind to agree with Byron in his conclusion, 'that the sum of human knowledge is mortal nature's nothingness' and clearer do we recognise this when we think of the number of friends who have been removed from our midst, even during the last twenty years.

I feel I should at this point also refer to a ball used in the great match, which was presented to the club by Mr. J. G. Shepherd, of Broomhill, and which was so beautifully mounted by Messrs. H. Stratford and Sons, forming an exceeding interesting relic of the great game.