The Wednesday Cricket Club (1820-1924)

Chapter 5 -

There is little I can learn of the club's doings in its infant days beyond the fact that its prominence was brought about not by "luck", but by hard work and good management. And this was at a time when money was very scarce, and when hundreds might be seen on a great "Match Day" wending their way towards Darnall, carrying a small bundle of sticks, intneding to record the "notches" scored by each batsman.

In 1836, the late Thomas Jessop, Esq.. J.P (Sheffield's Friend), played for the club, and he continued an ardent supporter up to his lamented decease; and I am sure you will be pleased to learn that so well known and respected a citizen - and so staunch a friend to cricket - as Mr. J. Ellison, Esq, was a playing member sixty years ago and that we still retain his support and good-wishes for the club's welfare.

In June, 1838, I found that Wednesday played Leeds on their own ground. The latter in their second innings, were credited with thirty-one extras, twenty-five of these accruing from wide balls. Wednesday's second innings score was also augmented by thirty-three extras, twenty-five being from wides. This occurred to me as worthy of note, being, to my mind, evidence of the class and style of bowling practised at that time; that is, I attribute the large number of wides being due to the fact that in those days fast bowling was purely "round arm". What is to-day considered scientific and graceful, would in times past have been disallowed by rule. Pace gives place to strategy; bowlers rely more upon the smartness of the field - and what, in my opinion, is most unfair, when we read a bowler's analysis, he takes all credit and the fielder is not recognised.

When I have heard old cricketers speak of the game as it was played, say fifty years ago, and seen their eyes light up with enthusiasm as they enacted, in their minds, the exciting and brilliant victories of the past, I could not refrain from comparing them with some of the don't-care-very-much sort of cricketers we come across at times to-day. Of course, I must admit, their interest was centred in one club, and there was no cycling, tennis, or even football to contest with.

As proof of this old enthusiasm, I find in 1842 a letter from Baslow C.C., stating that their team would be at Hyde Park ready to commence the game at 9.30 a.m, also in the same year practice matches were played on that ground, starting at 9.30 a.m, and a fine of 1s. was imposed on all members, desirous of taking part, who arrived late.

Chapter 6 -

At that period, when the committee had decided upon a team to play in a match, it was no uncommon occurrence for a member to be waiting outside the club room anxious to learn the list of players selected: and again, if a member was chosen to play and he found it impossible for him to do so, he did not consider it "infra dig" on his part to apprise the secretary and express his regret.

In 1841 a letter was recieved from M. Bass, Esq., of Burton, requesting the committee to allow four of their players, viz: Marsden, Pilch, Sampson and Vincent, to take part in a match, North of England v. South. This again tends to prove the high standing held by the club in in the cricketing world at that period.

In 1842 the minute book shows (when discussing a match about to be played between Wednesday and Sheffield Gentlemen) a proposal to the effect that an eminent player - not a member - but an amendment was carried that none but bona-fide members in this or any other match. I think if all clubs were to pass a resolution on these lines, and strictly adhere to it, secretarial duties would be very much lightened, clubs would present more favourable balance sheets, and cricket would benefit generally.

In 1844 I see there was a resolution passed accepting the challenge, per "Bell's Life", for a stake of £100. I think it would not be out of place to explain here, for the benefit of "youngsters," that up to about 1868 it was customary for clubs to play for money. There was handicap matches, i.e., each club would subscribe to what they termed the "pool", and also forward a list of members to the Handicap Committee, who endeavoured to make the games as interesting as possible, and at times Wednesday would be called upon to play 11, 12, 13, 14 or 15 of their opponents, as the case might be. Then, again, there were sweepstake matches, half a dozen clubs would put down £10 to £25 each, and play as they do to-day for the Sheffield Association Cup.

At times the club would receive a challenge to play for £50, which they were generally prepared to accept. On one occasion they played our old friends at Hallam for that amount, and won by one run only.

I believe the last match played in Sheffield for a large sum was Sheffield v. Lascelies Hall, in 1867, for £60. From this date the amounts gradually toned down, and from 1868 to 1878 a ball was considered a sufficiently large stake, and finally, matches were played purely for pastime and honour. Let us ever continue on these lines; the purer the game the more noble, manly, lasting and beneficial it will be to all who participate in this pleasure.

Chapter 7 -

Even in these days umpires' decisions are not always submitted to gracefully. At times a batsman is called upon to retire for infringing the l b w clause; for a brief period he may be furious; however, as a rule, his anger is not of long duration, he invariably lights his pipe, and his annoyance vanishes with the smoke; but if as in the old days a hundred pounds depended on a players wicket, and apprently a doubtful decision was given, it is easy to imagine that instances of a very unpleasant nature would at times arise. In support of this view, I give the closing sentences of a letter written 50 years ago: -

"We sincerely pity your sordid disposition, and let me tell you, without your conduct is more exemplary for honour than we experienced from you, you may be sure that you have arrived at the climax of your greatness, and that your decline will be more rapid than your rise, and you will vanish like a bright exhalation in the evening, and no one will care how soon.

These sentiments we leave to your serious and deliberate consideration, hoping that time will effect what reason cannot perform, viz: - Bring you to see your unenviable position in the eyes of the cricketing world."

This, gentlemen, is a glimpse of the style of correspondence re monetary squabbles. However, I am glad to say, the question then in dispute was amicably settled, and the clubs met for years afterwards.

In 1846, the club recieved a circular from the London Statisitical Society, requesting particulars of the first eleven, especially the height and weight of each man. I only mention this to show that the clubs popularity was not confined to Yorkshire.

Now although our hon. secretary (Mr. P. Bowker) has told us that we have a balance on the right side, I'm afraid the halycon days on 1859 are gone forever, for in that year the club had a substantial credit balance at the Savings' Bank, and the minute book shows the following resolution to have been carried, "That the officers be instructed to have the interest posted up, and a new book obtained."

Kivo Top drawer mate and by way of thanks The Wednesday CC turned over Transport CC earlier this evening.

Batting first the Wednesday made 124 for 5 with some sturdy shots throughout the innings being held together with a 21 not out and suplemented by 20 being taken off the last over.

In reply Transport were never up with the rate, two of The Wednesday bowlers failed with hat trick balls. There was some strong hitting from a couple of the Transport batsmen but never enough to get command of The Wednesday attack and on 76 for 8 the transport innings finally ran out of steam.

A really good performance from The Wednesday CC boys.

Chapter 2 -

I feel I must say a word at this point respecting Glossop. Although they are well aware that we have been without a ground, and could not be said to be in a flourishing condition, their committee, players, and spectators, still look forward with pleasure to the visit of "Wednesday" during their "Wakes". It is ever a delightful outing and pleasant fixture. Any cricketer who has once been with us to Glossop would make an effort to renew his visit. There is the knowledge that, win or lose, we are always welcome; good cricket is recognised all round. The game is played fairly, keenly, and thoroughly, and whatever the result, every man feels that his day has been well spent, and he recognises to the full the pleasure and benefit of a healthy and friendly game of cricket. Long may the two clubs meet.

Excellent

Might I add that I have played at Glossop Cricket Club many, many times and must concur with the author

biggrin.gif

Chapter 8 -

I have gone carefully through all the old score books - still preserved - and I was struck with the smallness of individual scores, that is speaking generally, it was not often a player scored his 'half century'. An old member tells me in explanation of this that although the wickets were generally good, the "country" was not so level, and of course the ball did not travel so well, and yet in 1861, which seems to have been a very prosperous year for the club, I noticed that in a match v. Glossop, Wednesday scored 192 for one wicket: - H. Bocking, c, 11, Hy. Barber, not out, 71, John Berry, not out, 68; and when we find the following players (T. Brownhill, R. Gillott, W. Wainwright, W. Norton, B. Chatterton, G. Skinner, J. Dignam, and J. Lee) ready if called upon, we may take it that Glossop had a stupendous task before them, had time permitted the game to have been finished.

At the closing dinner in this year the depressed state of trade in Sheffield was alluded to, and there was a falling off in subscriptions.

In August, 1863, the club gave up their wicket at Bramall Lane, to allow the "Competition Match" to take place, Sir John Brown was then mayor; Mr. H. Harrison, Master Cutler; and Mr. T. Jessop, Master Cutler elect. I gather from the newspaper reports that an enjoyable afternoon was spent, and more than one alderman was "clean bowled" or caught, by a councillor.

Chapter 9 -

It was in 1867 that the now famous Wednesday Football Club was first formed, and for many years the cricket and football club were one, although worked by different committees. Football in its earliest stages was assisted, financially, by cricketers, even by those who did not interest themselves in the game; however as time went on, cricket did not support itself, and the Football Committee were often called upon to pay the former's debts; at length it was felt by the leading members that cricket should pay its own way, and at a meeting held at the Adelphi, in 1883, the partnership was dissolved.

Now, although we are cricketers, I feel I am expressing the sentiments of all present when I say the Wednesday Football Club has our heartiest wishes for success, and I have every reason to believe that this feeling is reciprocated by their president and committee.

For future reference, I have copied the resolution passed September 4th, 1867: - "At a special general meeting, held at the Adelphi Hotel, it was proposed by Mr. J. Pashley, seconded by Mr. W. Littlehales, and carried unanimously, 'That a football club be formed in connection with the cricket club. Mr. B. Chatterton elected president; Mr. Chambers vice-president; Mr. Marsh; secretary, Mr. Castleton, assistant secretary; and the following to form committee, with power to add: Messrs. Rodgers, Pashley, Knowles, White, Littlehales, Anderson, C. Stokes, and Fry, and that no body of persons shall be empowered to sever the two clubs without the unanimous consent of a general meeting, six days' notice to be given to every member of the two clubs.'"

I might add here that Wednesday footballers were born (as it were) cup-fighters, for their first season saw them win the "Cromwell Cup" which was presented to the team on the Theatre Royal stage. Mr. C. Stokes was one of the players.

I have not attempted to put before you voluminous details of matches played, suffice it to say that the club, from its very commencement, always let opponents know of its presence. For a number of years the Sheffield Wednesday Cricket and Football Club Sports were widely known, and Easter Monday, at Bramall Lane, was looked forward to by thousands who enjoyed foot racing, hurdle jumping, and other items.

Chapter 10 - The Final Chapter!

I know there haven't been to many screaming for more, but I've thoroughly enjoyed reading and transcribing this article. If the newly (re)founded CC would like a copy to put on their website I'd be more than willing to send it. Long live The Wednesday!

In 1876 there were matches 11 v. 22, and veterans v. juniors, and a match v. Lascelles Hall. That year saw on our side the following powerful team: - Messrs. T. Brownhill (captain), G. Ulyett, G. Pinder, E. Stephenson, T. Armitage, W. Slinn, E. Fay, H. Barber, G. Betts, R. Crookes, and H. E. Pearson.

In 1882 a new departure in connection with the club was decided upon - a ball at the Bath Saloon. This was followed in 1883 by another. On a larger scale, at the Corn Exchange, and later three grand balls at the Cutler's Hall, every room being utilised and one year a smoking concert, all being crowned with success socially and financially; and I believe another Wednesday ball would be hailed with pleasure by a large number of ladies and gentlemen who enjoy the fascinating waltz or the graceful figures of quadrille.

The doings of the club from then to the present are familiar to all. You are aware that in 1896 the Sheffield United Club gave us and others notice to leave Bramall lane, in doing so, I believe they were actuated by the best of motives, but, gentlemen, I do not think there can be too many cricket clubs, if properly managed - (for I would much rather the youth of to-day were playing instead of watching) - and I cannot bear to think of Wednesday, probably the oldest of importance in England after M.C.C., ever fading away. True, we have been for three seasons without a ground; that fact alone would have plunged some clubs into difficulties too great to surmount, but not so with "Old Wednesday" it has been the means of proving the loyalty of its honorary and playing members, and to-day we have our reward, for the Sheffield United Cricket Club, recognising our claims, have consented to us having a wicket once more, on Bramall lane Ground.

To us it means a new lease of life, and as we have a president who is so true a lover of the game and club, and an hon. secretary who is willing to devote the necessary time required, there is every prospect of a bright future.

Therefore, I trust we shall let all cricketers know that we intend the old club to live and take its proper position in the cricketing world, and that its foundation, so well laid by our fathers, will not be easily shaken by any present obstacles or futile difficulties that may arise.

A brilliant piece of investigative journalism Lee, I trust other noteables will plunder your work for their gratification; still !

Last two paragraphs most prophetic and I'm sure you, I and our small number are humbled to have played a small part in helping restore our history.

Thanks to Kivo and all others concerned.

UTO WTID Long Live The Wednesday.