Our away following

Guest bigblue

Guest bigblue

After a comment on RS FH this evening about the Pigs abysmal showing at Oakwell and the Keepmoat this season, it has prompted me to query our away following. I can't get to many away games any more because I work on Saturday mornings, so I'm looking for an up-to-date view on how consistent our away support is.

When I did go to every game home and away, we sold pretty much all our allocation at every ground. Not selling our full allocation at a local derby seems ridiculous. Have I got that right, or has our away support dwindled?

I would guess that we haven't failed to sell our full allocation at any local derby game (within RS region) for, well, forever????

Actually, could that be extended further afield? Derby, Nottingham, Leeds, Huddersfield, Scunny? What's the nearest ground we've visited without selling our full allocation?

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

A little bit of trivia to finish with: The combined average home attendance of the other four South Yorkshire clubs is less than we took to Cardiff for our play-off final!!!

lol

After a comment on RS FH this evening about the Pigs abysmal showing at Oakwell and the Keepmoat this season, it has prompted me to query our away following. I can't get to many away games any more because I work on Saturday mornings, so I'm looking for an up-to-date view on how consistent our away support is.

When I did go to every game home and away, we sold pretty much all our allocation at every ground. Not selling our full allocation at a local derby seems ridiculous. Have I got that right, or has our away support dwindled?

I would guess that we haven't failed to sell our full allocation at any local derby game (within RS region) for, well, forever????

Actually, could that be extended further afield? Derby, Nottingham, Leeds, Huddersfield, Scunny? What's the nearest ground we've visited without selling our full allocation?

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

A little bit of trivia to finish with: The combined average home attendance of the other four South Yorkshire clubs is less than we took to Cardiff for our play-off final!!!

lol

I think our away support is superb, I would say our average is 1,400 to away games but we can take a huge amount if needs be. I think our lowest away league following has been 800 fans to Bournemouth on a Tuesday night which isn't bad by any means and I think our lowest has been just under 600 which made the Johnstone paint trophy trip to Carlisle.. this is more than most away followings to Brunton Park and those fans had to brave an Arctic storm to get there!! I think very very few clubs in Britain can match our away support, our club is very very lucky

Guest bigblue

Don't think we sold out at Forest last season

No? It has dwindled a bit then. A suppose after 15 years of the dross we've had to put up with, there's no suprise really.

The last game I went to at the City ground was a few years back when Sibon scored the only goal of the game. Great strike! I had to sit in the home end with a few mates that happened to live in Nottingham at the time because there weren't any away tickets left!

No? It has dwindled a bit then. A suppose after 15 years of the dross we've had to put up with, there's no suprise really.

The last game I went to at the City ground was a few years back when Sibon scored the only goal of the game. Great strike! I had to sit in the home end with a few mates that happened to live in Nottingham at the time because there weren't any away tickets left!

We havew sold out on about 5 occasions this season. We didn't sell out at Doncaster, forest or Barnsley last season. Are away support is good but not as good as most people seem to think on here.

I think our away support is superb, I would say our average is 1,400 to away games but we can take a huge amount if needs be. I think our lowest away league following has been 800 fans to Bournemouth on a Tuesday night which isn't bad by any means and I think our lowest has been just under 600 which made the Johnstone paint trophy trip to Carlisle.. this is more than most away followings to Brunton Park and those fans had to brave an Arctic storm to get there!! I think very very few clubs in Britain can match our away support, our club is very very lucky

The fans who made the trip to Carlisle that night deserve a medal. It's a horrible drive up their when it's windy, nevermind an arctic snowdrift.

As you say, our away following is second to none and the average would be much higher if the stadiums we've visited had bigger stands. We have sold out our allocations on a number of occasions.

Almost Every away end ive been in this season has been sold out ... ive been to 12, far and near so there's a decent mix.

If im been picky there were afew seats spare at Yeovil, but the origional allocation on the terrace was packed so i think alot on the seats moved there. Also If i remember correctly Swindon away was only three quaters full .

But they are exceptions really. Every away game makes me proud to be from our (better) half of the city.

Guest bigblue

To put the two club's support in perspective, we took more fans down to Leyton Orient when our club was on the crest of a slump, than our neighbours did to a local derby at Oakwell.

Crazy that isn't it. I honestly can't get my head around it. Don't they all bang on about being bigger than us? They say it with a straight face too :laugh:

Guest bigblue

We havew sold out on about 5 occasions this season. We didn't sell out at Doncaster, forest or Barnsley last season. Are away support is good but not as good as most people seem to think on here.

I was right in the middle of our lot at Oakwell and couldn't see a gap anywhere. Was there an odd seat to the top / bottom / either side? How many did we take? The pigs took 2k ths season didn't they?

At the Rovers game I definitely couldn't see any spare seats. I was in the home end for that one too, so had a better view than at Oakwell. So I'm surprised to hear that we didn't sell out.

I guess thats why some people seem to think our away support is so good. For one, I remember struggling to buy tickets after always selling out in the past, and two, even when it's not sold out the away end always looks full of bouncing Wednesdayites.

:happy:

Edited by bigblue

We only made 4 away trips this season, Sflaphorpe, Plymouth, Yeovil and Swindon, and I can honestly say our supporters are fantastic. The guys in fancy dress in Phil King's pub were awesome.

We had a couple of trips on the ICO and a couple with Wednesdayite (my son loves going with Wednesdayite) Work commitments mean I'm limited to when I can go away. But even though we lost on 3 of our trips, the people we met, especially the people on the Wednesdayite coach, made it all worthwhile, top blokes the lot of them.

Our club is blessed with some of the best supporters around, and for anyone who has never been away, give it a go, you won't be disappointed. We may have been poo on pitches up and down the country, but on the terrace's we've been world class.

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

We only made 4 away trips this season, Sflaphorpe, Plymouth, Yeovil and Swindon, and I can honestly say our supporters are fantastic. The guys in fancy dress in Phil King's pub were awesome.

We had a couple of trips on the ICO and a couple with Wednesdayite (my son loves going with Wednesdayite) Work commitments mean I'm limited to when I can go away. But even though we lost on 3 of our trips, the people we met, especially the people on the Wednesdayite coach, made it all worthwhile, top blokes the lot of them.

Our club is blessed with some of the best supporters around, and for anyone who has never been away, give it a go, you won't be disappointed. We may have been poo on pitches up and down the country, but on the terrace's we've been world class.

That's heart warming to hear. But why are we so bad at home? Quality, not quantity?

That's heart warming to hear. But why are we so bad at home? Quality, not quantity?

I'm not sure, maybe it's down to expectations.

Going away is often a good day out, especially if you stop somewhere for a drink. Expectations aren't always too high, so maybe our support, let their hair down a bit, and try to back the team up, or maybe it's just the people who are vocal that go to away games.

Whereas at home, a lot of us sit around waiting for something to happen, perhaps we need the players to give us something to shout about. I'm not sure there is an easy answer.

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

Guest Distraught!

To put the two club's support in perspective, we took more fans down to Leyton Orient when our club was on the crest of a slump, than our neighbours did to a local derby at Oakwell.

That's the kind of support you get when you fill the ground with freebies, cheapies and plastic fans just to make yourself look better than you are! They say that they have "sold" 10,000 season tickets. Doesn't look bad until a few facts are added to the true number.

This season.

Colchester united - 1,817

Sflaphorpe United 1,860 (League Cup)

Hartlepool United - 932

Brentford 1,187

Plymouth Argyle - 1,294

Notts County - 4,160

Yeovil Town - 1,788

Charlton Athletic - 2,216

MK Dons - 2,842

Carlisle United - 659 (JPT)

Swindon Town - 1,471

Exeter City - 827

Huddersfield Town - 3,605

Leyton Orient - 2,350

Peterborough United - 1,384

Rochdale - 3,247

Tranmere Rovers - 1,490

Birminham City - 4,116

Bournemouth - 728

Carlisle United - 1,238

Oldham Athletic - 1,382

Southampton - 867

Dagenham & Redbridge - 1,292

Brighton & Hove Albion - 853

Walsall - 2,072

Bristol Rovers - 1,672

The only figure missing is Southport.

I'm not sure, maybe it's down to expectations.

Going away is often a good day out, especially if you stop somewhere for a drink. Expectations aren't always too high, so maybe our support, let their hair down a bit, and try to back the team up, or maybe it's just the people who are vocal that go to away games.

Whereas at home, a lot of us sit around waiting for something to happen, perhaps we need the players to give us something to shout about. I'm not sure there is an easy answer.

The answer is simple lads - treat each home game like an away game, set off early, have a few beers.

What about the club opening the upper West stand for like minded fans?

We could run a trial against a poorly supported team (like Yeovil or summat) where we use the Upper Leppings lane for such fans, then if successful we could repeat it for every game where the the upper West is not required by away fans.

Obviously the upper West has been fully sold out to away fans in the last few weeks so this has not been possible????????????????

If all else fails, then come and stand with the Ultras:biggrin:

I never travel to away games any other way. Jeff, dave, Paul & the boys are top class , really is a good laugh. Fairly cheap too. :biggrin: