Dean Smith's Time At Sheff Weds

Guest one gary shelton

Guest one gary shelton

Current Walsall manager Dean Smith played 55 games for Wednesday.

How did you rate him as a centre back?

Think he was captain for a while, too?

A honest, hard-working professional.

At the time, he was perhaps the first real "lower league" player we'd signed, and was therefore looked upon negatively from the start.

Ultimately, he wasn't good enough, but he couldn't be faulted for effort and willingness to fight for the cause.

The step up from League Two to Championship at his age, must have been a tremendous leap to take.

He was terrible.

But Turner should also take some blame for making him our creative outlet thanks to our tactics of giving him the ball and letting him launch it as far upfield as he could - that was Sheffield Wednesday 2003.

Chesterfield away was worth a mention. The biggest cheer from the fans was when Nsungu-Ndumbu was warming up during the game.

An awful, awful period.

Nowhere good enough - unfortunately this was a period when we had so far downgraded our expectations that some fans thought he was okay

Just about everything about his game was wrong - he was committed and it's sad because the guy genuinely was delighted to play for us - i would often be on the sdame train back to London as his family heading to Birmingham and they were soooo proud that he played for us

But in truth he was part fo a black time in our history - due to players like him it must be said - and the hapless manager of course

Seems to be doing okay in management though - and i really wish him well because if some of the shysters wearing our shirst who had 3x his ability had one tenth of his pride to wear an Owls shirt then we'd be in the championship at the sharp end at least.

Watched him play 20 times a year for 8 years.

For Orient he is an utter legend, hard working, commited, passionate but ultimately lacking the quality to have ever made the jump up from L1 and L2

For Wednesday like others have said he showed his usual passionate self, delighted to get the opportunity to play for us but was never going to be a fan favourite or have the quality needed to play in the championship, shame really.

just the wrong club for Dean Smith

judging by his interview he loved his stint at S6 ... obviously players can talk a good game ...

my opinion was, he was garbage, but i guess he was playing at a level he couldn't handle and it wasn't his fault he was brought in and told he was in the starting 11!

fair play, sounds positive towards us mind and gave his all

I thought for the first season (he joined in Jan I think?) he was good - led the back line and was a decent centre half. But for the rest of his time here he was basically a bit poo poo.

Not a great but better than prob half a dozen centre backs in recent years.

Dean Smith was a tremendous captain at Hereford United - always gave 100%.

Dean was bound to play at a higher level than us but not too high. He was good but we've also had a few players over the years that were head and shoulders above the rest (Kevin Sheedy & Darren Peacock for example). Dean wasn't in that class.

I wish him all the best.

UTO

Hard as nails and a good header of the ball but I also have many memories of him being skinned for pace and him not having the speed of thought that you would expect for a defender at that level.

He was a fiercely proud and passionate player.

I think that the kindest way to describe him would be as an honest pro.

My main memory of him was when we lost at Blackpool 4-1, and John Murphy scored, Dean Smith was chasing him and was so slow that by the time Murphy scored Smith was out of the picture on the telly, and Murphy really wasn't quick at all.

Don't doubt his endeavour and I remember being at Macclesfield for the friendly in 2003 and thinking he'd do great for us in Division Two, never happened unfortunately.

Quality bloke who seemed to genuinely appreciate the oppurtunity he'd been given to play at such a big club, won a lot of headers and gave his all for the club but to echo the above posters just to slow (although played for us during his advancing years).

Guest CambridgeOwl69

Really good bloke! Met him twice, once in the players bar at Peterborough after a 1 nil win away and secondly on my brothers stag do in Vegas.

He was there with the entire Orient team and made a point of chatting with us after he found out we were Wednesday.

Whilst there the centre forward (Alexander - cant remember his first name) was trying to tell us how big Hull City were as a club. Smith leans over and tells him that he's talking gonads and says Wednesday are "massive" compared to Hull.

Top lad