Is the team really THAT bad..... ?

Following up from the call on Radio Sheffield last night regarding which of our side the Southampton manager would actually want....... ( a very good point actually.... possibly Madine as backup ? JJ as an impact, bench player ?) .... but, it left me thinking... yes it aint great...... BUT... is it really as bad as Megson is making out / making it look ?

Record and points per game this season:

IRVINE: sacked when 12th in league table

Played: 36

Won: 18 (in all competitions)

Points per game (in league): 1.35 (which, at that rate, would now have us in 10th place by the way.... still not good)

MEGSON

Played: 13

Won: 2

Points per game (in league): 0.75

So.... points per game, win % have ALL gone backwards. I'd also say confidence is lower now than it has been all season.

Now to the second point, do we feel the squad is AS BAD as Megson is making it look weekly ?

I mean, that team is surely not bad enough to get humbled at home to Brentford, Notts County and Plymouth (all of whom would take probably 7 or 8 of our starting 11)

So... should Megson be held accountable for our slump and now certain relegation scrap ?

Or, is the team that Irvine assembled just THAT bad,.... ?

Following up from the call on Radio Sheffield last night regarding which of our side the Southampton manager would actually want....... ( a very good point actually.... possibly Madine as backup ? JJ as an impact, bench player ?) .... but, it left me thinking... yes it aint great...... BUT... is it really as bad as Megson is making out / making it look ?

Points per game (in league): 1.35 (which, at that rate, would now have us in 10th place by the way.... still not good)

MEGSON

So.... points per game, win % have ALL gone backwards. I'd also say confidence is lower now than it has been all season.

Now to the second point, do we feel the squad is AS BAD as Megson is making it look weekly ?

I mean, that team is surely not bad enough to get humbled at home to Brentford, Notts County and Plymouth (all of whom would take probably 7 or 8 of our starting 11)

So... should Megson be held accountable for our slump and now certain relegation scrap ?

All of the players (bar Madine and Coke) have records of regularly playing at L1, Championship of Prem. They are not the bunch of journeymen losers we have had for the last few years they are a much better squad than that.

Irvine lost his way with them but Megson seems to be doing his best to be the alpha male (at a cost of actually getting them to play well).

Every other team in the league would want Mellor or Clinton as a striker in their squad but Megson appears to care more about running about than a bit of quality (which these two have). If we go down it will be due to him ranting an raving and not managing.

MEGSON

The rot set in before Megson. He's just failed to turn it round. We hadn't won for umpteen games on the trot before Megson came. Losing 5-1 to Exeter and 4-0 to Leyton Orient. OK, Mgeson hasn't turned things round yet but the freefall down the league was started and on it's way before Megson got here.

It's the latter for me.

Since the January transfer window closed we've kept 2 clean sheets in the league - both away from home.

The defence he put together in that window has been nothing short of a disgrace, admitted we havn't scored that many either but when your conceeding 2,3,4 goals a game your going to have to score big to win. Also the neglect of strenthening the midfield cost us dearly.

Megson has brought these few loan players in which IMO are a 100% improvement in terms of effort and actually doing their jobs, especially Baath and Jones. Still conceeding goals but a lot of the blame for that still lies in the midfield for me.

I'm not saying Megson can't take any of the blame, he has to - for decisions like playing potter in the position he did Tuesday, the only possible explanation for that is he's struggling and runnig out of ideas. Whatever he tries at home no matter what the line up is or the formation - it's consistantly wee wee poor in terms of effort from the players apart from one or two.

I truly feel sorry for the man.

No. Megsons got most on here eating out the palm of his hand though, marvellous what a few soundbites can do, Irvine should learn that lesson.

Only 3 months ago the majority on here said the team was food enough, and Irvine needed to go. Strangely since then, it's now the team that aren't good enough and the manager, despite have an appalling record so far, needs time, his own team. I think the team is good enough, just haven't had the right man in charge to sort it out before or after the sacking of Irvine.

Guest bigblue

Irvine wasn't as bad as many made out. The team are a bunch if wasters. Many of which he brought in tbf, so he must shoulder sone responsibility; but having no scouts or money does have a bearing on that too.

Megson has failed to turn this dire situation around - in fact he's made it significantly worse. The issues are all about character, confidence, morale and attitude. Sadly the precursor to each of those in relation to our feckless lot are - zero, destroyed, sod all,and shocking!

That and a raft of baffling tactical decisions (both managers!)

We are desperate for a clean start, a new season. It'll one, and Megson is good enough (IMHO); I just hope and pray it'll be in this division!!!

MEGSON

Your statistics don't come with any context or perspective though. The same thing happened last season - Irvine got off to a terrific start then inexorably got worse and worse. That burst out of the starting gates disguised the underlying truth for quite a while, but the longer the race went on, the further back we were falling. Had Irvine still been at the club, I have no reason to believe we would have been much better off than we are now as some are apparently suggesting.

Irvine wasn't as bad as many made out. The team are a bunch if wasters. Many of which he brought in tbf, so he must shoulder sone responsibility; but having no scouts or money does have a bearing on that too.

That's actually a point that perhaps some of us (me included) have not factored in enough when assessing Irvine's time at the club. It would appear that the faults of the players are less to do with playing ability and more to do with character issues. Maybe a more professional backbone to the club might have identified some of these before we found out the hard way?

This team should be doing so much better. Automatic promotion, in hindsight was beyond a team that lacks a lot of pace and energy, but to drop from 2nd to 16th and to potentially 20th is flipping crazy!

That kind of meltdown has to be to do with a lack of confidence, unrest things that stop you from performing to your ability.

I've been to every home match and a handful of away games and i've come to the conclusion that the majority of the squad are not good enough for this league. I've rated them all out of 10 below - based on this season, taking in to account performance, fitness, effort, desire, attitude etc.

Current Squad

1 Nicky Weaver - 5/10 - Started off well but makes a goalkeeping error near enough every game.

25 Arron Jameson N/A

2 Tommy Spurr - 4/10 - Main problem for Tommy is he can't defend.

3 Lewis Buxton - 6/10 - When he's played he's looked the most competent out of our defenders.

5 Richard Hinds - 5/10 - Not played enough to give a higher or lower mark.

6 Michael Morrison - 5/10 - Poor start but started looking better the last few weeks. Needs to play at Centre Half for me.

7 Mark Reynolds - 1/10 - Awful.

11 Daniel Jones - 7/10 - Best left back/winger at the club. Ridiculous how little he's played.

12 Danny Batth - 7/10 - Like the look of him.

15 Mark Beevers - 5/10 - Lacking in confidence.

22 THE RADIATOR - 2/10 - Walking Accident.

27 Rob Jones - 6/10 - Decent at Dagenham, not seen enough.

36 Jon Otsemobor - 4/10 - Pacey but can't defend. Runs around like a headless chicken a lot.

4 Isaiah Osbourne - 6/10 - Will be a good player but dragged down by the poo midfield around him.

8 Tommy Miller - 5/10 - Can be good but his legs have gone.

10 Giles Coke - 6/10 - Excellent start, got shoved onto the wing, gone down the nick with injuries and the poo around him.

14 Darren Potter - 2/10 - Waste of space.

17 James O'Connor - 2/10 -Waste of space.

18 Joey O'Brien - 7/10 - Slotted in well at dagenham, started bright against brentfort but got dragged down by the poo around him. Easily good enough for this level.

21 Gary Teale - 4/10 - Started off well but can't remember his last good game. Doesn't look interested.

23 Jermaine Johnson - 5/10 - Everyone knows what you get with JJ. Despite being inconsistent, he's invaluable to the team. Which shows a lot.

24 Chris Sedgwick - 3/10 - Too Slow. Not good enough.

9 Paul Heffernan - 6/10 - Ridiculous how little he's played.

29 Liam Palmer - 7/10 - Should've played more. Should be a regular next season.

30 Clinton Morrison - 3/10 - Not done anywhere near enough. Past it.

32 Gary Madine - 8/10 - Can't do anymore than he's currently doing.

33 Neil Mellor - 5/10 - Started well but doesn't look interested anymore.

Guest intercity0wl

The manager and the chairman are both responsible for this. They have a big squad of players and do not have their hands tied like AI.

Jesus f**king wept