Jermaine Johnson

I don't know what is wrong with JJ at the moment, but he looks like he has the weight of the world on his shoulders. On his day he can be a frightening sight for any defender, he just doesn't look his usual self at the moment. I know he cares about the club, and wants to do well for us, but it's obvious to me that something is troubling him. I don't know if he's worried about a contract, or there's something else going on in his life. But somethings not right.

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

As bad as he is. . .he's our only player who is a genuine match winner on his day.

He is the only guy in the squad with any sort of pace (Teale has lost a yard or two) and the only person who can create something out of nothing.

I will concede that I thought that he was awful today. . .but he wasn't exactly the only one.

I think with the right manager and some confidence he can be outstanding week in week out.He has obviously got the ability someone just needs to work with him closely to get the best out of him lol lol lol

What age is he now, 30/31? He's not some young kid you can work on and improve, he's a seasoned international, and what you see is all you're ever going to get. He's one of four or five, the others being Spurr, Potter and Sedgwick (Purse has already gone) who I hoped might have gone during the last window. If he doesn't buck his ideas up, Megson will wear him for about five minutes.

Guest JonTheOwl66

It's grown old with the usual 'JJ can not flippingcross!!' from the Chavs.

Yes he can, he's improved immensely this season.

JJ has been poor all season he never seems to improve and seems to have a lack of inelligence, you would have thought at his age he would be a wily professional, but no!

Having said that he stopped two certain attacks on goal late in second half by getting back and burning their centre forward off to nick the ball.

How I wish we would have accepted the £300k QPR offered!

I think JJ has so much talent - I find it remarkable that people do not recognise that pace like his cannot be coached. I think that he is capable of playing along side either Mellor or Madine and feed off their knock on's. For me he scares other teams to death. I think this season he has been far mor consistant. Get off his back he would be the most expensive to replace.

Guest JonTheOwl66

I think JJ has so much talent - I find it remarkable that people do not recognise that pace like his cannot be coached. I think that he is capable of playing along side either Mellor or Madine and feed off their knock on's. For me he scares other teams to death. I think this season he has been far mor consistant. Get off his back he would be the most expensive to replace.

Yep. Exactly.

For example, first half yesterday when he knocked it past their full back and burned past him, then put a ball in with the outside of his foot begging to be attacked.

Or his shot second half, that last year would have been blazed over, instead it was heading top corner.

Guest intercity0wl

Which teams has he scared to death this season ?, Yeovil away maybe when he came on after being what he is consistently good at, being Injured,

Sorry but as for the so much pace comments, the first winger i saw play for Swfc was a certain Willie Hendrson, who did used to Scare teams to death with something else you could not Coach, and that was TALENT, so sorry i would much rarther have a winger who scared the opposition as a talented footballer, than a head down fast runner.

Guest owlinlincs

What age is he now, 30/31? He's not some young kid you can work on and improve, he's a seasoned international, and what you see is all you're ever going to get. He's one of four or five, the others being Spurr, Potter and Sedgwick (Purse has already gone) who I hoped might have gone during the last window. If he doesn't buck his ideas up, Megson will wear him for about five minutes.

What would you suggest?.I am not having a go but i think his age is unimportant everyone has seen he has some genuine quality so how would you get him firing on all cylinders for full games instead of just 20 mins every few games

Guest bigblue

Who are you trying to kid by sliding an insult in there Mrs Johnson? Your son cannot cross. It's not even a close call. He just can't do it. Sorry love.

Among the other things he can't do are - pass, tackle, defend, read the game, shoot, give a she-ite, keep his temper, keep his hamstrings in tact for more than a couple of weeks at a time and play football full stop!

He is fast though.

Edited by bigblue

Who are you trying to kid by sliding an insult in there Mrs Johnson? Your son cannot cross. It's not even a close call. He just can't do it. Sorry love.

Among the other things he can't do are - pass, tackle, defend, read the game, shoot, give a she-ite, keep his temper, and play football full stop!

He is fast though.

:laugh:

Guest JonTheOwl66

Among the other things he can't do are - pass, tackle, defend, read the game, shoot, give a she-ite, keep his temper, keep his hamstrings in tact for more than a couple of weeks at a time and play football full stop!

He is fast though.

:dry:

Facts to back your opinion up?

He is fast though.

I think that what you are not recognising is that JJ does not pick where or when he plays. If he is to make a difference, his pace should be used open up defences. That however, needs someone to see the pass. I have always thought that we do not use him effectively. Get the ball played infront of him and then he will make use of more opportunities.

Guest arobert

I think a lot of this is very unfair on JJ who had adecent hgeaderrt and fine shot well saved.

As Bartos said in another post JJ saved us by getting back quickly and cutting off a clear 2-3 opportunity.

With the Irvine-assembled four wooden top defence on show we should be thankful that we had somone quick enough to get back and avert the threat.

Pace accounts for so much these days.

Attacking, JJ is most valuable when there is space behind their defence. How great it is to see him run through - from the half way line.

But pace is not as valuable when teams are sitting on a result with 8 men in their box who never have to turn round.

Similarly, when defenders have pace they can push up as a team and defend the half way line on occasions. We all like to see opponents closed down from the front. It excites the crowd and keeps play up the field.

But when defenders have little pace, they defend deeper to prevent sprints into the space behind.

Sadly JJ is the only one in the team with pace on tap.

He should be offered another contract IMO, and i'm sure Meggo can kick arses when necessary.