Jermaine Johnson

Would JJ have a stinker and got a lot of stick if that shot at the lane end had gone in and we had won 3-2? I remember when Hirsty had a stinker at Blackburn years ago and he must've missed 5 clear cut chances, but people weren't quick to jump on his back. Even John Sheridan had bad matches where he wouldn't tackle of pressure the opposition but many regard him as one of the greatest players of the last generation.

Guest Saturday Owl

I like JJ but he is the most frustrating player I've witnessed play for us in some time, has the potential but if he was the all round player he would be in the Premiership now. Sadly he has no time to develop now he's over 30.

Guest totemowl

Who are you trying to kid by sliding an insult in there Mrs Johnson? Your son cannot cross. It's not even a close call. He just can't do it. Sorry love.

Among the other things he can't do are - pass, tackle, defend, read the game, shoot, give a she-ite, keep his temper, keep his hamstrings in tact for more than a couple of weeks at a time and play football full stop!

He is fast though.

You need to know - sometimes it's better to keep quiet that to talk garbage.

Apart from his recent goals, his defending and shots on target yesterday, he also made a couple of chances out of nothing by getting round defenders and putting great balls in. The one into the near post near the end of the first half should have been converted.

A lot of people love Jermaine Johnson. Others find him at times inspirational, a match winner but often frustrating.

He can be a great player at times and we have had constant debates regarding his overall play and his often terrible end product.

Now before the fan boys start screaming at their computers and bashing the keyboard this isn't an overall dig at JJ. I was watching him for quite a while yesterday and I'm going to come from a complete different angle with regards his abysmal performance yesterday.

This season JJ has been played out wide, he has been played up front (as a lone striker too IIRC) and recently Alan Irvine has seemingly moved him into what looks like a free role just behind the strikers in central midfield.

At the end of the day, Johnson has played most of his career as a winger. That his is trade and that is where he should be played. Now this is a complete guess, but it looked to me yesterday that he didnt know where to play or even what to do. At times he was out wide and at other times he was wandering round the middle of the park. When MK broke yesterday he didnt look like he knew whether to hold his position or whether to track back and defend. When we had the ball in defence the players where shouting at him to move and make space. Again, he didnt look like he knew whether to make space out wide or through the middle. When we were attacking the Kop end (I think it was Jones who had the ball) gestured for JJ to make space. JJ moved to a position where Jones could have walked with the ball himself.

Second half and they had a corner. JJ was wandering round the edge of the box. gary megson had to shout at him to get him to move into a more sensible position.

IMHO JJ has had his head filled with that much crap that he doesnt know if he is coming or going. I really hope that he isn't broken for good, because with a bit or work on his delivery he would be lethal.

Please Mr Megson, fix him, we have the technology.

IMHO Irvine has got alot to answer for, regarding the mind boggling coaching he has put decent players through,(its almost abuse),and personally i think irvine and his crew have burnt quite few of the players out,he has just over trained and coached them.

Thats what coaching badges do for ya.

Now just glad to see the back of him,and it will not be long before his other sh*te staff have gone

Edited by w.owl

Guest totemowl

JJ's stats tell a different story to many of the comments in this thread:

8 starts, 6 from the bench

4 goals, 20 shots on target and 15 shots of target.

His goals per game ratio is only bettered by Morrison, Madine and Mellor.

His on/off ratio is only bettered by Morrison who is usually closer to goal when he shoots.

I agree jj should be a winger and needs a quiet word from someone to keep his head up.I dot think our team

Talk at all.the one thing I would do is research the oppositions back four an if they hav a 33 year old who's not fast at all get jj to stay with him at all times that way the advantage we would hav to start with would be a great bonus

JJ's stats tell a different story to many of the comments in this thread:

8 starts, 6 from the bench

4 goals, 20 shots on target and 15 shots of target.

His goals per game ratio is only bettered by Morrison, Madine and Mellor.

His on/off ratio is only bettered by Morrison who is usually closer to goal when he shoots.

Of course you could take the other interesting stat from that and notice that he's only made 8 starts this season.

Speedster winger + over 30 years of age + continual hamstring problems = real danger.

I'd be really tempted to keep him, but we've learnt our lessons the hard way about signing crocks so we have to be really careful.

Edited by TheBoyBeevers

Guest andyofsheffield

JJ has qualities that make him a decent winger, but he lacks the ability to read the game and that final touch that would make him a good footballer. But saying the negatives, we don't have anyone else who looks as exciting as him when he has his game face on.

JJ needs to play up against their last man IMO and scare the poo out of them .... you can guarantee by doing this they will double mark him thus making space somewhere else .

Whether GM will play him that way or at all we will have to wait and see ,

i've said all along that he is our best front player by far

against brizzle he tore them apart, barnsley away last season, awesome, his pace just terrifies oppositon defence

some strikers do nothing other than put the ball away, a contribution of a few minutes in a game is acceptable, they got a goal, jj has more than that

he could, with the right support and coaching be our passport this season, given a chance

Guest bigblue

I appreciate that some of you get all jizzy in the pants area when he picks the ball up and starts to run reyt fast. He has a talent for keeping the ball while running that quick - seriously, a very skilful dribbler at pace.

But, come on, let's stop pretending that our hopes and dreams (of having a player with those skills and pace, at the same time as being a proper footballer) are somehow embodied in our very own secret world beater.

There's a reason he plays at this level and a reason that he'll be at a lower level if not retired come the end of the season. Jermaine Johnson is a one-trick race horse.

His passing is worse than JOC's. His positional sense and reading of the game makes Tommy Spurr look like a proper professional footballer. He's mardier than Blackwell. His hamstrings are as reliable as French cars. He has the first touch of a rapist....etc

Guest frannys ears

It's no good tearing past fullbacks when the final ball ends halfway up Penistone Road. Someone needs t teach jj to cross a ball.

Too right, it's all thats missing from his game, but it's a big all.

Guest dunellaowl

would rather have jj with us than against us!! keep him as a squad player, imagine what he would do if he came up against us in future!!

I thought he didnt have too bad a game. First half he wasnt great, but who was? Second half he was in a funny position, but won a LOT of headers and had a couple of good chances.

I think considering were in League 1, hes a pretty good player. Hes all about confidence, and if we start winning, I think JJ will be pretty key to that. Him and Teale on the wings i think are the 2 best wide players in this league.

I would be happy if we extended his contract by a year. I think hes won us a fair few points this season. Oposing teams are really scared of him, and often double up on him - we should use that to our advantage, and hopefully GM (Megson, not Madine!) will use this well.

He saved us yesterday tracking back, without his pace we'd have lost 3-2

YES TOTALLY TRUE, but in the first half he stood around with his hands in his pockets whilst jones got ripped a new 'un...i may be willing to put this down to not knowing what his job/task included...as anyone showing the effort he put on for the late interception cannot question his commitment...megson needs time to get to know the players, and find them something they can do well, and play to their strengths...