Who would you replace Irvine with?

Guest Superblades

Guest The_S8_Owl

i would like to see curbishley, hughton, waddle or sheridan. :happy: i definatly reckon these would boost morale and have a big impact on the squad and how they play.

Guest OwlertonG

Andy Gray !!

With the plan of;

Year 1 get out of League One

Year 2 avoid relagtion Champtionship

Year 3 Stable Championship Team in modernised Hillsborough

Year 4 Push for Play Offs

Year 5

to - Add a wealth of young talent to the ranks, building a fist team squad that can carry either top level champtionship football, or Premiership mid table, as well as building bridges for the future of the club, in english youth and training techniques

Year 10

Edited by OwlertonG

I would like Dan Petrescu. Done the job with two different small European clubs, getting one quite far in the champions league with one and then moving to the Russian second division and getting his club promoted as champions. Knows the English game playing for four different clubs including us. He is young and has proven a success abroad, give him a go.

I voted for curbishly in the next manager thread, dunno how realistic that would be

im not generally a negative person but we should forget all about MON,Warnock,Allardyce etc absolutely no chance they would come to a mid-table club in the third tier given where they are/could be next

there are plenty of names out there that would come and would do a better job - zola / hoddle / megson / houghton

Lads lads lads...Milan ain't going to waste anytime with Sheridan - no disrespect to him but it's just too early.

Milan he knows the power of a good frontman - he will go for someone with a real hunger for the challenge.

Pick one of the following; Coppell (because now we can provide a decent budget, whilst before we couldn't give him that - and god, he can get teams playing great footie)

Pearson (f*ck Hull, Milan could persuade him to drop a league)

Hughton (really ready to get stuck in, probably perfect club for him)

possibly Allardyce (bitter, vengeful, ready to bounce back so long as he can juggle TV commitments...will make is hard as sh*t, painful to watch - but winners)

We're in a better position than many clubs; no debt, decent squad if managed properly...just can't see Keegan or Hoddle going for one last hurrah, and not sure it would work out so great with them now.

Martin O'Neill on a 6 month contract, to get us up there amongst the promotion contenders and get himself in the shop window. Leaving MM to get the right man in his own time!

And if O'Neill gets us up and fancies the challenge, then who knows!

A pipe dream maybe, but I'm an eternal optimist (that doesn't take mind altering substances, in case you were wondering!)

Seriously, for me Sheridan with Waddle as his number 2, bring some of the magic back. I know Sheridan is relatively inexperienced, but look at what he has done with Chesterfield. Also I think he would pretty soon have us playing the football we want to see and with the backing of MM and his football nouse I reckon we would take off like a rocket sled on rails.

As for the inexperience thing, I think it's the same argument as a promising young player being denied games not because of lack of talent but because he doesn't have experience and it's a pressure situation.

Forget that, Shezza knows all about Wednesday and pressure, he is good enough, get him in!

Seriously, for me Sheridan with Waddle as his number 2, bring some of the magic back. I know Sheridan is relatively inexperienced, but look at what he has done with Chesterfield. Also I think he would pretty soon have us playing the football we want to see and with the backing of MM and his football nouse I reckon we would take off like a rocket sled on rails.

As for the inexperience thing, I think it's the same argument as a promising young player being denied games not because of lack of talent but because he doesn't have experience and it's a pressure situation.

Forget that, Shezza knows all about Wednesday and pressure, he is good enough, get him in!

MM's made it quite clear he wants promotion this season - I don't think Shezza will motivate the players sufficiently in the next half season to get them motoring up the league. Bit of a risk tbh.

Guest Superblades

Martin O'Neill on a 6 month contract, to get us up there amongst the promotion contenders and get himself in the shop window. Leaving MM to get the right man in his own time!

And if O'Neill gets us up and fancies the challenge, then who knows!

A pipe dream maybe, but I'm an eternal optimist (that doesn't take mind altering substances, in case you were wondering!)

Yeah I have to agree I think that is a pipe dream mate! I think MON is waiting/hoping that now is the time he can finally get in at a big big club. He's probably a bit annoyed that he didn't get a look in at Liverpool after Hodgson although that was always going to be King Kenny's I guess.

Seen all of you pretty unanimously vote for Irvine to be given the boot. From the outside looking in, it doesn't look as though he's really managed to achieve anything...so I was wondering where you were when he took over? Has he made any great changes to the style of football or anything? Are there any redeeming factors?

Obviously he has had to work during a time of upheaval but from current position it doesn't surprise me you all want a change. The only thing is - who would you want put in his place considering who's available??

I tell you where I was when Irvine was appointed. On my way home on the bus (because my car was in for service) coming from work. I can remember vividly, opening the BBC Sport's website on my phone and it been there in the headlines "Owls Appoint Irvine." I was fookin' livid, at such a uninspiring and dull appointment. I can remember just as vividly, that I spent the rest of the afternoon ranting and raving on here about the appointment. Even went as far as writing a letter to the Chairman at the current time (that never got sent!), I was so utterly baffled by the appointment.

And from there, I can remember Irvine getting off to a flying start. I was sat in the home end at Barnsley when we beat them 2-1 in his first game in charge, and then for his next four games, where we won another three games, I was in Mexico. So for his most promising spell as manager, I was halfway across the friggin' world. Soon after that, we were up to 18th and five points clear of the relegation zone.

And then we saw the start of one of the most spineless, cowardice, uninspiring, and frankly disgusting relegation battles you will ever see. Openly playing for draws when only wins would do, getting torn part time and time again on our home ground and totally bottling a relegation D-Day decider in front of a packed, raucous Hillsborough on national TV.

I, and a few others highlighted it then. Irvine should have been sacked then. He was brought to the club to save us from relegation. He failed miserbably. He took over a team situated three from bottom, and at the end of the season, we finished third from bottom. Reading, who were only one place above Wednesday when Irvine took over, appointed a complete rookie...and they launched a playoff push.

In pre-season he was given a budget...he then complained in the media about it, and was subsequently given a more extensive one. This meant our wage budget had become unsustainable and we would be able to complete the season, even if we didn't pay the HMRC, creditors and such like. With that budget, he brought in a completely new squad and stated himself, he would be happy with the players in the Championship. Since then, we've heard him talk up every single opposition making the likes of Exeter, Leyton Orient, Swindon, Dagenham etc. etc. sound like Barcelona or Real Madrid. Despite signing an abundance of new players in the summer, he persisted with the same players who under performed throughout the whole of last season. The football has been dire. The players are over coached, over drilled and over worked. He has his favourites and refuses to give certain players a fair crack of the whip. He's an arrogant egoist who has no interest in the club whatsoever, and is only interested in protecting his "well thought of" reputation.

In summary, he has become one of the most dislike, unsuccessful and worst managers in our history. And believe me, that's a tough list to top.

To replace him..well, with one of the best and most ambitious Chairman in the land leading us, and backing us with serious investment...the world is our oyster. For me, it would be Gianfranco Zola. We need fresh ideas. We need a character. And we need some excitement. Zola ticks all those boxes, and most importantly, I'm certain he would jump at the chance to manage us.

If it's not Zola, someone similar. A big name in football with something to prove. McMigo on here goes on about Dennis Bergkamp. Why not? Paulo Sousa came to Swansea. Di Matteo - MK Dons. Martinez - Swansea. Poyet - Brighton.

Keegan would be worth asking...he would add 5k on the gates to start with.

What we don't need is another "FA" manager, or a manager with an unproven record and no name to boot. Forget Megson, Sheridan, Pearce, Dowie, Curbishley. We been there and tried that. We need a fresh approach. I'm truely hoping Zola's the man.

Edited by frastheowl