Who would you replace Irvine with?

Guest Superblades

Any managerial appointment is a risk (unless you can afford to appoint and support Mourinho), in many cases what works for one club doesn't work for the next. However I have a gut feeling about Sheridan. He was the man who made Wednesday tick back in the 90's and he is certainly doing that at Chesterfield now. I believe he has the necessary leadership qualities and the footballing brain. He also knows and loves the club and would jump at the chance to come.

There is no more guarantee of success with any of the people you have suggested than with Sheridan, it is all about being able to work with what he has got and what he is allowed to bring in. Certainly would be a major improvement on what we currently have.

As far as ambition is concerned, we were ambitious in the 90's, but that ambition was wasted with bad managerial appointments and poor transfer dealings. This decision is not about ambition, it is about getting the right man for the job. For you Zola ticks all the boxes which is fair comment, for me it is Sheridan.

But, if Sheridan hadn't played for Wednesday would he even be mentioned?

We are in the third tier of English football and people believe that bringing in the likes of Keegan, O'neill, Allaydice, etc would be a smart move. Most of these have only managed at top level (premiership level) .

Mate, you might wanna do a little bit of research

IWe are in the third tier of English football and people believe that bringing in the likes of Keegan, O'neill, Allaydice, etc would be a smart move. Most of these have only managed at top level (premiership level) .

Hahahahahahaa!

What Scram said - those guys have a wealth of lower division experience and success between them.

Thought i'd save you the bother Oliver

Those 3 guys have at least 15 years of management outside the premier and in the football leagues between them - all of them have achieved success at those various levels - and that's not including non-league, Irish or Scottish league management which would add another 10 or so years at least to those figures

WHOEVER WE GET (IF ),Wants to get em laughing and joking in the dressing room for start, going on the (interview with waddle and irvine)cause i don't think Irvine has a smile in him, perhaps the players have had enough of the dour tvat who knows ,

But, if Sheridan hadn't played for Wednesday would he even be mentioned?

Who knows, but the fact is he did play for us, he is managing a local rival (and doing a good job of it too). Similar question with O'Driscoll, if he weren't on the doorstep would he be considered (bearing in mind he inherited a decent footballing squad from Dave Penney)?

Either you go for an upcoming managers in which case you consider them all, or alternatively you go down the tried and tested route, you don't rule anyone in or out.

Hughton for me. No miracle worker, but got a good squad playing to their potential at Newcastle, and that's exactly what we need right now.

He's far more likely to actually want the job than 95% of the names being bandied about, and I'm sure already a big enough name to turn a few players' heads when it comes to strengthening over the summer.

Who knows, but the fact is he did play for us, he is managing a local rival (and doing a good job of it too). Similar question with O'Driscoll, if he weren't on the doorstep would he be considered (bearing in mind he inherited a decent footballing squad from Dave Penney)?

Either you go for an upcoming managers in which case you consider them all, or alternatively you go down the tried and tested route, you don't rule anyone in or out.

That'll be a no then! biggrin.gif

Re: O'Driscoll. I think the fact that there have been several teams up and down the country linked with him, perhaps says otherwise. O'Driscoll is possibly the most thought of manager outside the Premiership currently.

Seen all of you pretty unanimously vote for Irvine to be given the boot. From the outside looking in, it doesn't look as though he's really managed to achieve anything...so I was wondering where you were when he took over? Has he made any great changes to the style of football or anything? Are there any redeeming factors?

Obviously he has had to work during a time of upheaval but from current position it doesn't surprise me you all want a change. The only thing is - who would you want put in his place considering who's available??

Mickey mouse,gengis khan,himler.

The list is endless

Guest sheffielder68

Mickey mouse,gengis khan,himler.

The list is endless

We need someone who will go in at half time and not be scared of breaking some plates.

Brain Laws has a good record of that from when he was at Grimbsy!

Seriously, it's a difficult choice. Coppel for me would be ideal. Experienced, no-nonsense, successful. But lets see what happens with Irvine, whether he stays or not. Be an interesting press call today, but can't see Radio Sheffield United putting the pressure on that much.

Someone said Shearer. Grow up. He has no experience, and when the Newcast job comes up, whatever position Wednesday are in, he will be off quicker than Speedy Gonzalez.