Who would you replace Irvine with?

Guest Superblades

Guest Superblades

Seen all of you pretty unanimously vote for Irvine to be given the boot. From the outside looking in, it doesn't look as though he's really managed to achieve anything...so I was wondering where you were when he took over? Has he made any great changes to the style of football or anything? Are there any redeeming factors?

Obviously he has had to work during a time of upheaval but from current position it doesn't surprise me you all want a change. The only thing is - who would you want put in his place considering who's available??

We look worse now than we did when he first took over. The man is toally clueless and inept as a manager, and his decisions/team selections /tactics are baffling at times (read the original post on the 'anti managment' thread just below to see what hes like, game in, game out). He has zero personality, no passion, no enthusiasm, no rapport with the fans at all, I dont think he could motivate anyone he's so dull and uninspiring.

For me he's the worst manager we've had in the last 15 years, and theres been some real awful ones aswell. He's the first Wednesday manager I strongly dislike in everyway, and will actually be flipping ecstatic when he's sacked. Even last season when we didnt win in about 12 games till Laws was sacked I had no hatred towards Laws, but he did have to go and his time had come. Now its the complete opposite, I hate Alan Irvine, hes ruining our club and all the excitement and positivity with Mandaric's rescue of us I cannot be positive about our future till he's gone. I've got a ticket for our home game againts Yeovil on tuesday, not going if hes still in charge.

Who do we bring in? Well thats the million dollar question and I have no idea whether we could tempt a big name to come, or whether we'll get another small time manager.

The same Warnock who looks like getting QPR into the Premier League?

Yeah he's a realistic target

There is talk/rumour though that the money people at QPR won't back him in the Prem. They just want him to get them promoted and then they will let him go.

Is he going to be trusted with a 'big' budget regardless of him getting them promoted?

Guest Superblades

Hoddle with Waddle as assistant.

Wow some pretty ambitious targets I would say - but now you guys do have some financial stability it's certainly not out of the question.

Hoddle has been out of the game A LONG TIME though although whoever mentioned Wilkins - I think it's only a matter of time before he gets back into the game. The complete capitulation of Chelsea since he left is hilarious.

Is Blackwell seriously a candidate (I think someone mentioned it)...he'd get you out of that league with your squad I think but the football will in no way shape or form be pretty in the slightest.

I think Zola is realistic (given Aldridge is mates with him from West Ham) and could be convinced to take the job now we've got some cash and a decent squad already in position. He's a big name and would be very popular here IMO. He's my number 1 choice.

I don't think Shezza is ready for the job, or the pressure it would bring...and i don't want him to come back until he is absolutely ready.

Keegan would be great but wouldn't be interested now we're probably going to be spending another season in this league.

O'Neil would be great but would be unrealistic- he's just waiting for a top 8 job in the Premiership to come avaliable.

Didn't want him to start with - he had no track record of note as a manager - and I firmly believed we were in desperate need of an injection of passion and inspiration to keep us up.

He failed in his first task of keeping us up (a task which other managers at the club did achieve in similar dire circumstances). Pre-season, was given the luxury of one of the biggest wage bills in the league and as a result, made experienced signings from players who have consistently played at a higher level - so that even he said he would be happy with that squad in the Championship.

This season, most teams have been allowed to dominate us, players are not picked on form, played out of position and we appear to be over coached, predictable, one dimensional and easily out thought and out fought. With the resources at his disposal compared to almost every other team in this league, we are massively underachieving - it seems that the team are capable of so much more if they weren't overtired from watching DVD upon DVD of our opponents and having it drilled into them that we are facing world beating team after world beating team.

We appear for the most part dull, passionless and predictable, working to uninspiring tactics.

But that is what a number of us feared when he was appointed and sadly, it has taken a pretty predictable path.

It's hard to give a name for a replacement as we are not party to how MM might sell the club to a manager - beyond mere salary. I just think the club is crying out for a passionate, inspirational and charismatic leader who will command respect from the professionals he will have at his disposal. The fans will react to that sort of appointment and it will be like a breath of fresh air all around the club - we are desperate for some belief. We've been given that off the field.....now we need it on it. With the squad we have, I still think the first hurdle (promotion) is pretty easily achievable if MM acts quickly enough.

Guest Superblades

Where I was when he took over?

You mean like everyone remembers where they were, when John Lennon was shot? :st2:

From the sound of it - the appointment of Irvine seems like a horror of similar proportion.