Who would you replace Irvine with?

Guest Superblades

Guest Superblades

A lot of you have called for Zola which surprises me? What have we seen in his short career as a manager that you guys really seem to be interested in apart from the fact that he is an exciting name and was a terrific terrific footballer? I think he was quite naive at West Ham and they really had to fight to stay up. Ok the board at West Ham are a joke and their treatment of both Zola and Grant leaves a lot to be desired but I'm just not sure what attributes he's shown that make you think he'd be a good choice to push your team on to get promotion from league 1?

Soon after that, we were up to 18th and five points clear of the relegation zone.

And then we saw the start of one of the most spineless, cowardice, uninspiring, and frankly disgusting relegation battles you will ever see. Openly playing for draws when only wins would do, getting torn part time and time again on our home ground and totally bottling a relegation D-Day decider in front of a packed, raucous Hillsborough on national TV.

I, and a few others highlighted it then. Irvine should have been sacked then. He was brought to the club to save us from relegation. He failed miserbably. He took over a team situated three from bottom, and at the end of the season, we finished third from bottom. Reading, who were only one place above Wednesday when Irvine took over, appointed a complete rookie...and they launched a playoff push.

Absolutely fantastic post.

Got me mad.angry again about last year.

All happy clappers should have to memorise this.

I'm sticking with Sheridan, Waddle as his number 2 and Big Ron as DOF.

I know Sheridan is relatively inexperienced, but in response (and especially to those who say that ex-players don't work) I plead the following in my defence:

Keegan at Newcastle?

Dalglish at Liverpool?

Kendall at Everton?

Graham at Arsenal?

All unproven at the time.

Why not Sheridan at Wednesday?

A lot of you have called for Zola which surprises me? What have we seen in his short career as a manager that you guys really seem to be interested in apart from the fact that he is an exciting name and was a terrific terrific footballer? I think he was quite naive at West Ham and they really had to fight to stay up. Ok the board at West Ham are a joke and their treatment of both Zola and Grant leaves a lot to be desired but I'm just not sure what attributes he's shown that make you think he'd be a good choice to push your team on to get promotion from league 1?

West Ham currently struggling BIG TIME in the Premiership.

The job Zola did at West Ham, under a time when they had no money whatsoever (they have now), now appears to be a pretty steady one.

Fans can get too bogged down about managers records, attributes and techniques. What Wednesday need now is inspiration. A leader. Someone the whole club can get behind. If that happens, results will follow.

I said in my last post, that managerial experience isn't particularly necessary if the next manager is a big name who will inspire. But with Zola, there's a manager out of work, experience in the Premiership where he did a pretty decent job (certainly wasn't a failure), is a MASSIVE name in the world of football, is a likeable character and is someone the club could get behind.

You don't need a "World Class" manager to get promoted from this league, nor the league above. You need a manager who will inspire, who will use his resources well and Wednesday need fresh ideas.

Zola ticks every single one of those boxes. And we are one of few clubs, he would jump at the chance of joining. If he succeeds at Wednesday, he's solidified his reputation for years to come. And currently, there's very few "easier" jobs than the one on offer at Wednesday.

Guest oliver666

Only one contender for this job. He has experience of being in the same situation as we are now in, got promotion, natural leader, MM knows him well, he knows Wednesday well and shouldn't cost fortune to prise him away from his current club. NIGEL PEARSON end of. The man is a legend and could be a bigger one if he comes to Wednesday. MM, you know it makes sense.

Zola ticks every single one of those boxes. And we are one of few clubs, he would jump at the chance of joining. If he succeeds at Wednesday, he's solidified his reputation for years to come. And currently, there's very few "easier" jobs than the one on offer at Wednesday.

^^^^^^^^^^^^

This x 1000% for me

Only one contender for this job. He has experience of being in the same situation as we are now in, got promotion, natural leader, MM knows him well, he knows Wednesday well and shouldn't cost fortune to prise him away from his current club. NIGEL PEARSON end of. The man is a legend and could be a bigger one if he comes to Wednesday. MM, you know it makes sense.

Hull have just been taken over, and have money to spend.

I'd be very surprised if he'd leave Hull to come to Wednesday.

I wouldn't necessarily be against Pearson coming here, but I don't think it's the sort of appointment we need. It wouldn't excite people. It wouldn't add thousands to the gate.

We need someone who will instantly add a feel good factor.

O'Driscoll.

Lets do what the Blunts did not have the bottle to do, lets offer him what he, and what Donny want money wise.

Give him the keys to Hillsborough to run the club (playing/squad) how he wants. Give him time - no pressure on promotion this season, give him the required time to change our style of play and be ready for next season.

Long term plan.

Utah, it's Milan, not Doris Stokes.

Nice one Reading!

Just making the point that when each of these managers took over the clubs they made their name at (all of which were enduring hard times when the relevant man was appointed), they were all relatively inexperienced. I really would like to see Sheridan given the chance to manage Wednesday and think that the ex-players, inexperienced arguments are just asinine.

Sheridan has a great football brain and has worked wonders (so far) at Chesterfield, so why can't he do the same at Wednesday? Also if you could get Waddle and Big Ron involved it really would capture the fans imagination.

Incidentally I would have no objection to Keegan being manager either, it's just that:

a) I doubt he would take it (but agree it's worth asking him), and

b) he is getting on a bit and do not see him as a long term appointment, whereas Sheridan has 15-20 years of management in him

What do you think?

Guest oliver666

Hull have just been taken over, and have money to spend.

I'd be very surprised if he'd leave Hull to come to Wednesday.

I wouldn't necessarily be against Pearson coming here, but I don't think it's the sort of appointment we need. It wouldn't excite people. It wouldn't add thousands to the gate.

We need someone who will instantly add a feel good factor.

We don't necessarily need a show stopper, we need a manager to get us promotion this season in my opinion. Gates will increase if we get success which we are not getting at present. I personally think that Pearson would come here whether he has money to spend at Hull. So have we :happy:

Nice one Reading!

Just making the point that when each of these managers took over the clubs they made their name at (all of which were enduring hard times when the relevant man was appointed), they were all relatively inexperienced. I really would like to see Sheridan given the chance to manage Wednesday and think that the ex-players, inexperienced arguments are just asinine.

Sheridan has a great football brain and has worked wonders (so far) at Chesterfield, so why can't he do the same at Wednesday? Also if you could get Waddle and Big Ron involved it really would capture the fans imagination.

Incidentally I would have no objection to Keegan being manager either, it's just that:

a) I doubt he would take it (but agree it's worth asking him), and

b) he is getting on a bit and do not see him as a long term appointment, whereas Sheridan has 15-20 years of management in him

What do you think?

Just think of it this way.

If Sheridan hadn't played for us, would he even be considered as a potential managerial candidate?

If Sheridan does qualify as a genuine candidate, then why aren't Gary Waddock, Ronnie Moore, Alan Knill, Dario Gradi, Graham Turner etc etc. all mentioned as well?

The simple fact is, Sheridan has achieved the square root of nothing in football as a manager. Chris Turner's record was arguably better than his, when he was appointed manager here. We know what a disaster that was.

If Sheridan continues to do a good job at Chesterfield, gets them promoted, and then either maintains their climb up the league ladder or leaves them for a bigger club and proves himself again...then I would consider him to be a worthy candidate.

Currently, there's nothing, to suggest he should be given the job.

Oh, and here are a few other inexperienced managers to consider:

Matt Busby

Bill Shankly

Don Revie

Brian Clough

Bobby Robson

Is this a joke? Every single manager that goes on to become good was at some point inexperienced. There's plenty more failures than successors that come from 'gambles'. We need to stop gambling and get someone exciting but proven in. Coppell.

Nice one Reading!

What do you think?

1. I was walking the dogs today and coincidentally was thinking we could do with a 'new' young Cloughie.

But, do they exist anymore? Football has changed that much.

Would Cloughie have the same success in the modern era; player power, grotesque wages etc.

2. Sheridan, in principle it would be a great idea.

Just worried it would end in tears.

Never go back - that is my gut instinct.

We don't necessarily need a show stopper, we need a manager to get us promotion this season in my opinion. Gates will increase if we get success which we are not getting at present. I personally think that Pearson would come here whether he has money to spend at Hull. So have we :happy:

Our next manager NEEDS to get the feel good factor back at Hillsborough, immediately.

For that to happen, it needs to be a big name, in my opinion.

Pearson isn't as daft a suggestion as Sheridan...and he's done what Sheridan hasn't. Which is build himself a reputation by achieving success in management. And if he was appointed, I wouldn't be disappointed as such, but I think it would be a missed opportunity.

We literally have a blank canvas, the chance to start again. We have the pick of so many young, ambitious managers, or experienced ones as well. Would you really favour Pearson over all of them? We need to be ambitious ourselves.

Just think of it this way.

If Sheridan hadn't played for us, would he even be considered as a potential managerial candidate?

If Sheridan does qualify as a genuine candidate, then why aren't Gary Waddock, Ronnie Moore, Alan Knill, Dario Gradi, Graham Turner etc etc. all mentioned as well?

The simple fact is, Sheridan has achieved the square root of nothing in football as a manager. Chris Turner's record was arguably better than his, when he was appointed manager here. We know what a disaster that was.

If Sheridan continues to do a good job at Chesterfield, gets them promoted, and then either maintains their climb up the league ladder or leaves them for a bigger club and proves himself again...then I would consider him to be a worthy candidate.

Currently, there's nothing, to suggest he should be given the job.

I agree that it's too early for Sheridan, too risky for us and not fair on him.

Zola is a good shout and you have made a very good case for appointing him (and sacking AI earlier).

Guest oliver666

Our next manager NEEDS to get the feel good factor back at Hillsborough, immediately.

Pearson isn't as daft a suggestion as Sheridan...and he's done what Sheridan hasn't. Which is build himself a reputation by achieving success in management. And if he was appointed, I wouldn't be disappointed as such, but I think it would be a missed opportunity.

We literally have a blank canvas, the chance to start again. We have the pick of so many young, ambitious managers, or experienced ones as well. Would you really favour Pearson over all of them? We need to be ambitious ourselves.

I understand what you saying but to answer your final point, yes I would have him here. He isn't a big time Charlie, he speaks sense and he has proven himself at this level. Some of the names mentioned on here beggars belief. We are in the third tier of English football and people believe that bringing in the likes of Keegan, O'neill, Allaydice, etc would be a smart move. Most of these have only managed at top level (premiership level) . They would have to have an endless amount of motivation to get us moving without experiencing this utter poo of a league and teams within it.

I understand what you saying but to answer your final point, yes I would have him here. He isn't a big time Charlie, he speaks sense and he has proven himself at this level. Some of the names mentioned on here beggars belief. We are in the third tier of English football and people believe that bringing in the likes of Keegan, O'neill, Allaydice, etc would be a smart move. Most of these have only managed at top level (premiership level) . They would have to have an endless amount of motivation to get us moving without experiencing this utter poo of a league and teams within it.

Allardyce, Keegan and O'Neill have all managed at this level, and achieved promotion at this level.

Any managerial appointment is a risk (unless you can afford to appoint and support Mourinho), in many cases what works for one club doesn't work for the next. However I have a gut feeling about Sheridan. He was the man who made Wednesday tick back in the 90's and he is certainly doing that at Chesterfield now. I believe he has the necessary leadership qualities and the footballing brain. He also knows and loves the club and would jump at the chance to come.

There is no more guarantee of success with any of the people you have suggested than with Sheridan, it is all about being able to work with what he has got and what he is allowed to bring in. Certainly would be a major improvement on what we currently have.

As far as ambition is concerned, we were ambitious in the 90's, but that ambition was wasted with bad managerial appointments and poor transfer dealings. This decision is not about ambition, it is about getting the right man for the job. For you Zola ticks all the boxes which is fair comment, for me it is Sheridan.