Jones/Heffernan

Guest oliver666

assuming there are no more signings this week, I think the best starting 11 would be:

4-1-3-2.

Weaver

Buxton

Morrison

Reynolds

Jones

R. Johnson

J. Johnson

Miller

Teale

Mellor

Morrison.

Long term may be not a solution, but it elimiates the week link (JoC) and uses more of what is now the strongest part of the team (defence).

Shocked at the stick Mellor is getting here. He looks a class act, works hard and is the top scorer including two hat tricks.. maybe he should throw his arms round more and have a go at officals to get the fans on his side though.

Thought Joc had an excellent game on Saturday, won most of his 50/50 balls and got stuck in.

Guest Mexico Baby

I'd play heff over both Morrison and mellor on Saturday.

Doesn't seem to be working up top the moment.

We need the best partnership up top which isn't always the best two players. Heff seems to link play up well and has a knack of being in the right place at the right time.

I think it's more about earning a place than pure ability. Heff has earned a start on Saturday IMO.

So has Jones.

Competition for places is about waiting patiently for a chnace then if you take your chance you earn a start, and it's up to you to keep your place. If Heff doesn't start Saturday he will think what's the point? Same goes for Jones, he is playing well, being dropped for no reason is no the right message to give your players.

On Saturday I'd go with...

............................Weaver

M Morrison.....Reynolds.....Réda.....Jones

Sedgwick.......Miller..............JOC............JJ

......................Heff..........C Morrison

Agreed on the points and the team selection.

I think Morrison and Mellor have looked good as a front pairing but Heffernan's performance on Saturday when he came on for Mellor, I believe is deserving of a chance from the start in our next game.

I don't think Jones will improve defensively or in general if he isn't given a sustained run in the side but I think Irvine will be tempted to start Reynolds at Left Back on Saturday.

I see a lot on here are expecting or more probably hoping Purse will be dropped at Leyton Orient but it's one thing dropping a player and totally another thing dropping your Captain. Has Irvine got the balls to drop Purse, me thinks not? That said, Purse showed tremendous character to get through the 90 minutes against Charlton after his nightmare start. No one can IMHO can accuse Purse of ever lacking character.

Seen bucket loads of posts over the last few days (months in Heff's case) calling for these two to be given regular starting spots.

Now I know Heffernan played well on Saturday, and he should have been given more of a chance earlier in the season, but would people really pick him over Morrison, Mellor and Madine?

Morrison is getting just about a goal every 3 games now, and brings a lot more to the team apart from just finding the net.

Mellor frightens the living hell out of defenders and is our top scorer capable of knockng in 2 or 3 per game when on fire.

Madine is a new signing who is one of the division's leading scorers.

So do people really think the Heff should be given the nod ahead of two of the above?

Onto Jones.

Yes he has played very well over the last couple of matches (worked his socks off on Saturday), but I'm still not sure on his best position.

I've seen people calling for him to be played on the left wing - with Johnson on the bench, surely people don't think he's more of an attacking threat than Johnson?

FWIW, my team for Saturday would be

Weaver

Buxton/Otsemobor---Morrison---Johnson---Reynolds

Johnson---Miller---O'Connor---Teale

Morrison---Mellor

Not got Nothing against Morrison or Mellor but Heffernan gives us something these two dont and with a midfield like ours we need him starting.

Unlike the rest of our forwards Heffernan is more than happy to drop short and pick the ball up far deeper than any of the others his link up play is excellent and he nearly allways finds a blue and white shirt.

With such a poor central midfield pairing that offers very little going forward we are crying out for someone like Heffernan to have the balls to drop deeper and want the ball.

Untill we get a creative midfielder Heffernan should start.

Edited by curren

Seen bucket loads of posts over the last few days (months in Heff's case) calling for these two to be given regular starting spots.

Now I know Heffernan played well on Saturday, and he should have been given more of a chance earlier in the season, but would people really pick him over Morrison, Mellor and Madine?

Morrison is getting just about a goal every 3 games now, and brings a lot more to the team apart from just finding the net.

Mellor frightens the living hell out of defenders and is our top scorer capable of knockng in 2 or 3 per game when on fire.

Madine is a new signing who is one of the division's leading scorers.

So do people really think the Heff should be given the nod ahead of two of the above?

Onto Jones.

Yes he has played very well over the last couple of matches (worked his socks off on Saturday), but I'm still not sure on his best position.

I've seen people calling for him to be played on the left wing - with Johnson on the bench, surely people don't think he's more of an attacking threat than Johnson?

I honestly do think he could be, mainly because he can cross, he has some end product.

Johnson from the start doesnt work for me, he's better off coming on in 2nd half.

Yes, he is a threat, but its a pretty empty threat.

Would like to see Jones start there, with Teale on other side, and with Johnson coming on for one of them later in the game.

Then, if im wishing for things, we sign a real quality winger and let Johnson go.

Edited by leea8331

Weaver

Buxton Beevers Johnson Jones

Johnson Miller Morrison Teale

Mellor Morrison

Anyone for trying M Morrison as a defensive midfielder? No? Right stick in Potter :ph34r:

For the first time in years we have money to spend.

We needed defenders so we got some.

We need midfielders so lets get some.

We do not need to put square pegs in round holes.

Edited by curren

Mellor only missed 2 full games, JJ started them and scored 1, Heff came on as sub in both and also scored 1.

Yeah, an ok outcome but my point was that with Mellor injured a striker for striker replacement would have been natural and given a chance to see what Heff had to offer given a start. We know JJ after all.

Edited by OxonOwl

I agree with you about Jones though.

He was better than Spurr recently, but now Reynolds is here there's no place at left-back for Jones.

Good to have for cover though, as he likes to play LM too.

Take Teale / Reynolds off at about 75 mins and give Jones a run out.

Have you seen Reynolds perform recently? (Genuine question)

Because if not, how can you justify dropping (or playing out of position) an in form Daniel Jones to accomodate a new signing? Jones has only just started to have a decent run at Left-back and he hasn't put a foot wrong :blink:

Regarding the striker situation, it's refreshing to have options (you could make a case for any 2 from 5 if you include JJ). Personally I'd go for Clinton and the Heff to start, JJ in midfield and Mellor & Madine starting from the bench.

Have you seen Reynolds perform recently? (Genuine question)

Because if not, how can you justify dropping (or playing out of position) an in form Daniel Jones to accomodate a new signing? Jones has only just started to have a decent run at Left-back and he hasn't put a foot wrong :blink:

Regarding the striker situation, it's refreshing to have options (you could make a case for any 2 from 5 if you include JJ). Personally I'd go for Clinton and the Heff to start, JJ in midfield and Mellor & Madine starting from the bench.

Because we've signed these players for a reason.

Do you think MM has brought in 3 defenders to let AI sit them on the bench?

R. Johnson and M. Morrison are both in the starting 11 now, aren't they? Why not Reynolds?

R. Johnson and M. Morrison are keeping Otsemobor / Spurr / Beevers out of the side, and they're both new signings.

And, for what it's worth, (and take it with a pinch of salt, because I haven't seen him play) the general feeling is that Reynolds is probably the best defender we have now.

Nothing against Jones, i'd like to add. He's looked pretty good so far, barring a couple of blips.

I just can't see us having gone to all the trouble of signing Reynolds to warm the bench.

I fully expect to see him in the first 11 on Saturday.

So the player with nearly twice as many goals as the others DOESNT do it for you - but Hefferna ALWAYS looks god? He was poo poo at Carlisle the other week

I know Mellor has scored goals , albeit in bursts, (can't be bothered to look how many actual games he has scored in) but don't you come away from more than a few games disappointed in him. Because we know he has everything to be a good striker it is very disappointing when for some games he just does not turn up.

He is either brilliant or crap , there is no in between with him.

The AI interview after the game on Saturday summed it up for me. He says he has too many players who are inconsistent and on whom he cannot rely. Mellor is the definition of this.

I for one am glad that we only have him on loan and would keep it that way until the summer when we can reassess what we want and how he has done over the season.

I know Mellor has scored goals , albeit in bursts, (can't be bothered to look how many actual games he has scored in) but don't you come away from more than a few games disappointed in him. Because we know he has everything to be a good striker it is very disappointing when for some games he just does not turn up.

He is either brilliant or crap , there is no in between with him.

The AI interview after the game on Saturday summed it up for me. He says he has too many players who are inconsistent and on whom he cannot rely. Mellor is the definition of this.

I for one am glad that we only have him on loan and would keep it that way until the summer when we can reassess what we want and how he has done over the season.

My thoughts exactly.

What would you rather have?

A player that's great 50% of the time, and poo poo 50% of the time?

Or

A player that's good 90% of the time?

Fair enough, if Heff starts the next 3 and does sod all then drop him. But give him a chance!