Bristol City v Darren Purse

No, it seems like I'm one of a few on here who actually rates Purse correctly. In the sense that he's an absolute beast who lets nothing through some games, then a complete liability in others.

It's a witch hunt because you're making out like he's a liability every game and you're doing it after he's just had a couple of good games.

I rate him. The Bristol Rovers game, from what i can remember he won every tackle and every header. Maybe with an inconsistent back 4 it has knocked him off line but with new signing's sure we will be better defending.

Guest owl for life

No, it seems like I'm one of a few on here who actually rates Purse correctly. In the sense that he's an absolute beast who lets nothing through some games, then a complete liability in others.

It's a witch hunt because you're making out like he's a liability every game and you're doing it after he's just had a couple of good games.

First time on here ,i went to bristol and i thought first half our midfield allowed them too much time on the ball 2nd half we closed them down really well and forced the mistakes that gave us the goals,as for purse sound captain but does make elementary errors at times and i don,t think he will be getting a shirt for much longer,he and beevers have struggled this season and i expect a back four of buxton johnson morrison(looked class) dj,,when all are fit , all the team were good 2nd half , also think midfield needs strengthening get coke(when fit) back and sign an experienced centre mid who can tackle!!! all in all this is a good side showed how they could play when they had some confidence 2nd half, is it tactics to be neg. first half happens in most games home or away,been watching the owls from 1959 and will always back them U.T.O

Guest East_Dene_Owl

I was at Bristol and Darren Purse was our standout performer in first half.

Purse and Weaver kept us in game when were getting over run in midfield.

Edited by East_Dene_Owl

Watch it again...........

You bloody watch it again, and try to be less biased. :rolleyes:

2nd half we improved defensively because we closed the gap between defence and midfield. This gave City less space to play in and we won the ball back easier. We played with composure and kept possession, meaning we weren't under constant pressure.

Don't know why we haven't played this way all season, maybe it's just that the 2 new players are more confident, don't panic, drop deep and just hoof it. Maybe Jones & THE RADIATOR's pace allowed us to push up more, whatever the reason long may it continue.

Edited by Just_Donny

2nd half we improved defensively because we closed the gap between defence and midfield. This gave City less space to play in and we won the ball back easier. We played with composure and kept possession, meaning we weren't under constant pressure.

Don't know why we haven't played this way all season, maybe it's just that the 2 new players are more confident, don't panic, drop deep and just hoof it. Maybe Jones & THE RADIATOR's pace allowed us to push up more, whatever the reason long may it continue.

Don't want to............. you watch it

Guest WaddleIsALegend

I thought he was good for this game against a higher standard of oppo. I wonder if more comeption for places now might kick him into gear?

you starting a new thread everyday to slate a player madowl?

who tomorrow? potter? semi? spurr?

Oh come on .......... please

This site is constantly on the backs of under achievers.

Because I have a go at Clintons performance ........ which once again wasn't good, many come on here all guns blazing defending every player.

One or two who are not just seeing the result but the performance ........ which wasn't very good, second half included realise we will not get away with it most weeks.

I have seen what I have seen and my mind is made up ......... Clinton was poor (first half) a little better (2nd half)......... Purse was abysmal (first half) poor (second half) ......... Mellor wasn't too great either ran around alot without causing enough problems............ Miller (who I not so long ago was raving about) looked lost with O'Connor ......... Sedgewick and Teale were quiet............. and as for Bristol City ... Championship you're havin a laugh.

Thought the two new guys looked fresh and played well ..... especially The Radiator. Weaver thank god we've got him. Jones excellent .... should be a regular.

If you would like to lend me your rose coloured spectacles I'm sure I could embelish the poor performances a little.

Despite winning 3-0 of which you will be amazed to hear I was ecstatic about, I remain realistic. Mr Irvine still has much to do to convince many he is right for the job.

Guest owl for life

Purse is a model professional always gives 100% commitment and a good captain. Unfortunately he lacks pace and is prone to making mistakes. In this league a lot of the time you can get away with the mistakes in the leagues above us they will undoubtedly be punished.

spot on

There is the problem...with no pace at the back all they could do is drop deep...once we have pace we can squeeze the midfield ,pressure other teams high up , make them make mistakes and play in their half

Our problems don't lie with our defence they lie with our central midfield. I have confidence in every defender we have at the club (albeit Purse and Beevers are prone to the odd lapse) but if the mdfield is being bypassed constantly as is oftten the case with us when we have Darren the crab or James O'Can'tfaultmeforefforbutIgettovirtuallyeverychallengeasplittsecondtoolatebecauseI'mtoooldandslowandtheballisalreadygone, or Tommy Miller who to be fair is an attacking midfielder by trade.

:ph34r:

There is the problem...with no pace at the back all they could do is drop deep...once we have pace we can squeeze the midfield ,pressure other teams high up , make them make mistakes and play in their half

Excellent post. Exactly right. Trouble is you make mistakes deep and your half and your in big trouble.

Ok I've had my say about Purse and Clinton based on my own opinion hope it comes back to haunt me on Saturday.

Probably see Clinton dancing round the corner flag after a superb goal. He'd be a legend if he did that.

You seem happy that Purse had a bad game?

I think you're missing the point anyway. People were disagreeing with your analysis of Purse's performance against Bristol, not with your suggestion that Purse can be a liability.