FAO Darren Purse

What I don't understand is why is there a thread like this about Purse..... yet Beevers.... again.... seems to escape all the criticism ?

Mark Beevers has totally stagnated as a footballer. This once promising youngster now looks very fallible indeed.

Two of the goals he had a massive hand in. It was his clearance which led to their first, not Purses and it was him who jumped across and into Purse for their 3rd....

Purse seems to be the defensive scapegoat.... whilst our little £5m man / exciting prospect seems immune.

abso-fookin-lutely

What I don't understand is why is there a thread like this about Purse..... yet Beevers.... again.... seems to escape all the criticism ?

How can you describe Beevers getting critisism in a Purse thread as Beevers 'escaping all the critisism' ?

I think this post is below the belt.

Purse had a stinker (as did pretty much everyone else) but I'm sure he has the right attitude if not the ability to perform consistently.

How come he's not had the ability to be able to perform consistently up to now then? He's had long enough.

I worked closely with Darren over a year and, off the pitch, he was a superb captain. He did all the admin he was required to do, organised everything correctly...

He supported everything I did for the community and I'm sure that the current SWFC press team will agree that he is a real gent.

Get him a job in the office then.

How come he's not had the ability to be able to perform consistently up to now then? He's had long enough.

If you read my post I said that he has the right attitude if not the ability to perform consistently.

Having said that he was pretty consistent at the back end of last season.

I'm not disputing that he often causes us problems and central defence is an area where new blood is needed. But there's no need to go on the attack as if you're speaking on behalf of all Wednesdayites. I think he has the clubs best intentions at heart and I just dont think he warrants some of the abuse he gets.

Only got part way through the thread before feeling the need to reply.

Blaming one player for our plight over the last 18 months is a bit harsh. Purse hasn't performed but relegation was not solely down to him; there were at least another dozen players we can point the finger to for that.

Also, as for being at blame for certain goals... where does the blame stop? There are way too many times when opposition wingers get crosses in unopposed. There are way too many times the opposition wide players can double up on our full backs. There are way too many times our midfield is just carved open.

The whole team doesn't defend well enough. The whole team wastes possession way too much.

Beevers is better than Purse. He just looks poo because he's having to play with that clown. Branston was no worse, Dean Smith made up for his lack ability with 100 percent commitment to the cause, rather than Darren 'I'm here to just pick up my wages then roger off home back down south as soon as I can' Purse. Maddox was a good defender, just too rumbleing slow because his knees had gone, but if you remember he started to win the crowd over with some solid and clever defensive performances before he got injured for the last time. Can't believe you even put atherton, he was getting found out in the top flight, not league one. I'd have him in the team over purse any day. And finally, Westwood. I admit you got me there - forgot about that donkey! flipping he'll he was awful!

So let me get this right. Some of you on here are defending a guy who is marginally better than Ashley Westwood and (for argument sake) Guy Branston and Dean Smith?

Jesus rumbleing wept. Think about what you are saying. Is this acceptable???? Especially as he's the club captain as well. We Deseve Better. We will not progress until that muppet is shown the door.

Beavers and Spurr were both being scouted by big name teams, they only started to go down hill at the start of last season when guess who arrived. Do the math!!

if you bothered to read the entire thread you would see his reply was aimed at the person who said purse was the worst he could remember at SWFC.

He was simply pointing out that he isn't.

I'm 47, but I could see from that first challenge in the first game of last season against Barnsley, where he was knocked off the ball and we conceded a goal, that he wasn't up to the hype...!

Spends too much time ball watching, has fooked Beevers up along with that tosspot Irvine.

Get Spurr and Beevers playing together or Buxton if fit...!

i've seen spurr and beevers lookin in the job centre window for when the new transfers come in...let's be fair purse hasn't been great, but neither of those two are good enough for third division football, and show it regularly...

Guest JonTheOwl66

From my personal experience, playing with someone doesn't affect your ability, it is purely all confidence. Beevers isn't a poor defender, he's just pretty much scared shitless, Everytime you see him make a mistake he's immediately hounded by the 'alpha-males' such as Potter and Purse.

I don't understand all the critiscism Purse gets, were not Barcelona, were playing in League1; defenders aren't expected to be like Messi on the ball. At the moment he's not on form, ALA Beevers, I'd personally play Spurr and Beevers together, Jones left back and Buxton/Semi at right back.

From my personal experience, playing with someone doesn't affect your ability, it is purely all confidence. Beevers isn't a poor defender, he's just pretty much scared shitless, Everytime you see him make a mistake he's immediately hounded by the 'alpha-males' such as Potter and Purse.

I don't understand all the critiscism Purse gets, were not Barcelona, were playing in League1; defenders aren't expected to be like Messi on the ball. At the moment he's not on form, ALA Beevers, I'd personally play Spurr and Beevers together, Jones left back and Buxton/Semi at right back.

Id go with the beevers confidence bit.

As for Purse, hes just too inconsistent - one minute hes bullying the forwards, the next hes made two costly errors and we've been punished.

I like Purse, iv got a lot of time for him because he tries hard. but the facts are hes too slow, and his turning circle is getting us into trouble. it was obvious early on and if hes been playing with injured ribs, fair play but Irvine now needs to make the change and get him replaced. January or summer, its going to happen.

Personally, id stick buxton and beevers together - buxtons a far more solid centre back than the rest.

Bit of an unfortunate run though, purse playing injured, buxton and semi out injured, and the replacement centre half seemingly only going to get a game if everyone down to the under-12s gets swine flu..

Very true my friend.

He did bring in a left back in Daniel Jones.

So why throughout the whole season as Daniel Jones not been given a run of games at Left Back?

Spurr still plays regularly. Does that mean he's made a mistake in the transfer market and Jones is not the required standard?

As for the centre back running out of money thing. Maybe if he didn't waste his money on Heffernan, (who he obviously doesn't rate due to his lack of game time) then he could have bought another centre back.

He has, but Spurr came back in for the Southport game and kept his place in our good run of form. Then the right backs got injured and Jones came back in.

Look, the fact is we have 2 able players competing for LB role and neither has won the battle yet - but once the RBs are fit again they should be competing and pushing themselves harder and hopefully performing better. I think Jones may get there eventually but maybe not this season as Spurr is good going forward.

Id go with the beevers confidence bit.

As for Purse, hes just too inconsistent - one minute hes bullying the forwards, the next hes made two costly errors and we've been punished.

I like Purse, iv got a lot of time for him because he tries hard. but the facts are hes too slow, and his turning circle is getting us into trouble. it was obvious early on and if hes been playing with injured ribs, fair play but Irvine now needs to make the change and get him replaced. January or summer, its going to happen.

Personally, id stick buxton and beevers together - buxtons a far more solid centre back than the rest.

Bit of an unfortunate run though, purse playing injured, buxton and semi out injured, and the replacement centre half seemingly only going to get a game if everyone down to the under-12s gets swine flu..

taking this thread one step further, opinions about DP vary but one thing cannot be denied, next season he will not be good enough for the championship. We need an on the field leader who can inspire for the rest of this season and then kick on next year as we hopefully push on again. We need an experienced premiership pro, prefferably British who is up for the challenge......any ideas ?

taking this thread one step further, opinions about DP vary but one thing cannot be denied, next season he will not be good enough for the championship. We need an on the field leader who can inspire for the rest of this season and then kick on next year as we hopefully push on again. We need an experienced premiership pro, prefferably British who is up for the challenge......any ideas ?

Crystal ball time, MM might know what to do hopefully.

if you bothered to read the entire thread you would see his reply was aimed at the person who said purse was the worst he could remember at SWFC.

He was simply pointing out that he isn't.

Errrr... Yes I know, he was replying to me. I made that comment. Then I replied back giving my reasons why those players were no worse (bar Westwood)

Is that ok?

agreed - either in january or summer he is going to have to be replaced. personally, unless we can get an experienced centre half, i would wait til summer and stick buxton and beevers at the back - they are good enough for this division.

There is the chance we are being overly critical of purse if he is playing with damaged ribs - in which case irvine needs a kicking for continually playing him..