A Fans eye view of the trouble on sat

I would just like to say how ashamed most poolie fans are after what has happened to this poor man it is discusting to think you go to a football match to have a good time and this happens , please do not tar us all with the same brush as the mindless morons who did this all our thoughts and prayers are going out to him and his family we are so sorry this happened and hope he makes a full recovery we also hope they get locked up for a very long time which is what they deserve .

I seem to remember reading somewhere that with this kind of thing, as crap as it might be, often what we consider to be lesser charges are brought forward just to ensure a conviction of somekind, rather than the CPS trying to make something more serious stick which may be affected by lack of evidence etc etc and not lead to any conviction at all. Don't know enough about it, but does make you question our legal system if this understanding is correct!

Like you i'm no legal eagle - but i understood the main difference between ABH and GBH was the severity of the injuries - and this is not in doubt - the guy is in a very bad way

But as already mentioned i expect the charges will be ratified when all the investigations are done - no way will it be an ABH charge unless it is for somebody who was deemed to have played a minor part - still can't see it

But as you say our legal system seems to be very confused at times

I don't condone football violence but

No mate, there are no 'but's. If Wednesday fans respond to this with violence it isn't revenge at all, it's just more moronic twattish thuggery. We can't act outraged against other fans being violent then say 'well ours do it too but....'. I personally feel I have more in common with a Leeds or United fan who goes to watch football than an Owls fan who wants to beat people up. st2.gif

Decent? why would lying make him decent.

'Lawyer'* ph34r.gif

* I don't mean it lawyers, sorry,please don't sue me.

No mate, there are no 'but's. If Wednesday fans respond to this with violence it isn't revenge at all, it's just more moronic twattish thuggery. We can't act outraged against other fans being violent then say 'well ours do it too but....'. I personally feel I have more in common with a Leeds or United fan who goes to watch football than an Owls fan who wants to beat people up. st2.gif

'Lawyer'* ph34r.gif

* I don't mean it lawyers, sorry,please don't sue me.

You have to say this is true.

You read about an innocent person like Sid and your natural reaction is to clench fists and grit teeth. However, acting on those impulses only serves to associate yourself with those who tarnish the whole concept of being a football supporter.

Without going off on a tangent too much - if the police had an adequate system of law in place to enforce then there would be very little trouble for the offenders would fear the legal system and punishments too much. As it stands, they have nothing but contempt for a system that does nothing to protect the innocent - but that's another argument.

I wish everyone associated with Sid, his family and friends all the best and hope you make a speedy recovery fella. I don't know you from Adam but you are part of the Sheffield Wednesday family and deserve to watch your team without fear for your life.

All the best and I will also add my own name to those calling for the club to make a gesture.

Guest i8blades

Sid is a proper Wednesdaytite,never misses a match home or away.I used to go to school with him,we have been all over the shop watchin Wednesday.From the old 3rd div to wembley,Sid is a ledge.He is my sons god father.Dont see him so much nowadays on account of him livin in Swinton,but u can gaurentee whenever i can get an away match these days i will inevitably bump into Sid at some stage.......Get well soon mate UTFO

First off, best wishes for a quick recovery to Sid and hope all goes well.

The charge of ABH will have been brought on the advice of the Crown prosecution servce, because of the two possible charges of abh & gbh, it is the easier to prove, but this does not mean they have gone for an easy option, as the court will now decide the severity of the punishment dependant on evidence, how the scumbag pleaded in the interview, past criminal history and how Sid recovers from his injuries.

I believe the scum is in court today and maybe going on remand, so a result for justice straight away, but I would imagine while Sid is in hospital he will stay in prison awaiting the outcome of Sid's recovery.

Guest Briscoe Inferno

Wishing Sid a speedy recovery.

I hope those cowards responsible are punished.

Why there was no BTP presence at the station beggars belief.

i was hoping to make the return fixture with the wife and spend the night at a sheff wed fans house on the night in frecheville but after reading some of the posts about revenge do you lot think i might be wise not to?

I think it would be much safer to sit in the home end with your friends.

Anyone heard how Sid is?

Guest i8blades

spoke to sid's brother this mornin.....he's still in a coma but in a stable condition,i think from what i can make out the hospital are keeping him in the coma..he does have a fractured skull

UTFO

From what I understand about these things, there will only be a lesser charge brought against the person who did it.

Basically, even if the worst happens only a lesser charge would be brought as it was a single punch to the head. It wasn't a sustained attack (such as kicking and punching when the victim is on the ground). Bizarrely, if you punch someone and they fall on a kerb and die, you'll only be charged with manslaughter. If you punch someone, then stamp on their head once they are down you're more likely to go down for murder.

So, like someone mentioned earlier any "decent" lawyer will make the case that the assault (hopefully it stays as assault) was a "irrational mistake brought on by alcohol" rather than something more menacing. With our ridiculously lenient justice system he'll probably get no more than a couple of years, serving maybe 6 months. In the meantime, the victim will have been scarred for life. Possibly physically, certainly mentally. Stinks of poo , but I bet that is what will happen.

From what I understand about these things, there will only be a lesser charge brought against the person who did it.

Basically, even if the worst happens only a lesser charge would be brought as it was a single punch to the head. It wasn't a sustained attack (such as kicking and punching when the victim is on the ground). Bizarrely, if you punch someone and they fall on a kerb and die, you'll only be charged with manslaughter. If you punch someone, then stamp on their head once they are down you're more likely to go down for murder.

So, like someone mentioned earlier any "decent" lawyer will make the case that the assault (hopefully it stays as assault) was a "irrational mistake brought on by alcohol" rather than something more menacing. With our ridiculously lenient justice system he'll probably get no more than a couple of years, serving maybe 6 months. In the meantime, the victim will have been scarred for life. Possibly physically, certainly mentally. Stinks of poo , but I bet that is what will happen.

How do you know it was a single punch ?

Reports are that his mate took a leathering as well ......?

spoke to sid's brother this mornin.....he's still in a coma but in a stable condition,i think from what i can make out the hospital are keeping him in the coma..he does have a fractured skull

UTFO

Thanks for the update.

i was hoping to make the return fixture with the wife and spend the night at a sheff wed fans house on the night in frecheville but after reading some of the posts about revenge do you lot think i might be wise not to?

First of all i would like to wish Sid and his friend a speedy recovery,,and hope to F**k the morons resposible get a hefty sentence.

Secondly,,,,i agree with Barmyowl1212,,you would be as well sitting with your Wednesday friends in the home stand,,,the vast majority of 0wls fans are decent football fans,you would be welcome to drink and have banter with proper Wednesdayites at the New Bridge Inn on Halifax Road b4 and after the game,

I hope all you proper decent Pool fans are not put off supporting your lads because of this incident,,as Sids friend said in an earlier post,,,Sid wouldn't want any revenge,,,

Guest AwayOwl1991

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-11135267

31 August 2010 Last updated at 07:14