Four points

If we were to get four points from our remaining matches, in which order would you rather have them?

Win v Cardiff

Draw v Palace

This scenario means we go out of the relegation zone by 2 points but if Palace then win against WBA a draw wouldn't be good enough for us come next Sunday.

Draw v Cardiff

Win v Palace

This scenario would see us get three points back on Palace - but it would be pretty academic if Palace have beaten WBA five days earlier as we wouldn't be able to overturn the goal difference (unless we win about 7-0)

So which would you rather happen?

Risk the draw v Cardiff and hope WBA can do us a favour?

I don't know why people have been expecting a last day win against Palace to keep us up ever since they got docked 10 points (which is a joke btw, admin should be automatic relegation). Only WBA and Newcastle have lost less away games this season than Palace, they're a playoff team minus Victor Moses.

I think our fate depends on whether WBA beat Palace next week. I have a horrible feeling Palace may actually get a result.

At this moment in time Id love to be in with a chance on the last day.

Entirely agree.

I really can't see us winning on Saturday, and Palace playing two days later will be a huge advantage for them.

They know a draw against WBA is as useless as a defeat so they'll go all out for the win at all costs.

The scheduling is awful for us.

I don't know why people have been expecting a last day win against Palace to keep us up ever since they got docked 10 points (which is a joke btw, admin should be automatic relegation). Only WBA and Newcastle have lost less away games this season than Palace, they're a playoff team minus Victor Moses.

Minus a massive hit on morale, minus a superb manager who had them punching way above their weight.

Entirely agree.

I really can't see us winning on Saturday, and Palace playing two days later will be a huge advantage for them.

They know a draw against WBA is as useless as a defeat so they'll go all out for the win at all costs.

It's no advantage if we beat Cardiff - because the pressure on them becomes huge

WBA may have nothing to play for after tonight - and we don't know how that will affect them

Same for us having to play a team who will be saving themselves for important games ahead - they may even put out a really weak side to rest their players

I think playing Cardiff is a brilliant game for us

All the different scenarios mean that a draw at Cardiff is almost no better than a loss.

In fact, there will be some scenarios that mean a draw is exactly the same. If Watford win at QPR tomorrow and Sflaphorpe get at least a point, it means only us or Palace can go down, and then draw at Cardiff is EXACTLY the same as a loss. Both mean exactly the same- that we are down if Palace beat West Brom, and that if Palace don't beat West Brom, we survive if and only if we beat Palace.

I just really hope that we can trust the club to work this out. It would mean that we should be playing completely for the win next week- not as an opinion, but as a mathematical FACT.

What do you think? Can we trust someone at the club to have the intelligence to work this out, and realise that we should be doing absolutely everything to win next week, as sacrificing a point just doesn't matter? I'm not sure that we can.

Assuming that we go into the last game with something at stake, I would honestly prefer us to need a win to stay up rather than just a draw.

Just been talking about this and I agree.

Since Irvine has come in, he has sorted many problems out but we are one negative, boring team. If we only need a draw, I have a feeling we'll set up to play for a draw and we'll inevitably come unstuck!

Entirely agree.

Completely agree re the scheduling, and think it's massively unfair.

But funnily enough, we could find ourselves in exactly the same situation on Saturday, knowing that one point is as useless as 0 points, if Watford and Scunny save themselves tomorrow.

In fact, if Watford and Sflaphorpe don't save themselves tomorrow, it should be the job of somebody at the club to follow their results during the match on Saturday. Because if we become sure that they are going to save themselves, we hit the scenario where draw=loss, and we should do everything to win. Sadly, I really doubt that the club will realise this.

Really?

Cardiff will want to finish 3rd or 4th so they are at home in the second leg.

Firstly - and most pertinently - Cardiff will wanna ensure they have a fit bunch of players to play in the play-offs

They won't be running through brick walls for this game believe me

Guest ReginaldBlinker

Cardiff home defeats this season:

v Newcastle

v QPR

v Ipswich

v Plymouth

v Barnsley

...so why not us when the pressure is undoubtedly off them and we should be fighting like crazy?

Are Watford safe yet too? They are on a poor run.

It's no advantage if we beat Cardiff - because the pressure on them becomes huge

WBA may have nothing to play for after tonight - and we don't know how that will affect them

Same for us having to play a team who will be saving themselves for important games ahead - they may even put out a really weak side to rest their players

I think playing Cardiff is a brilliant game for us

Unless of course their manager reminds them of which team cost them getting in the play offs last season despite having nothing to play for.

Unless of course their manager reminds them of which team cost them getting in the play offs last season despite having nothing to play for.

Won't make a shred of difference - their team is standing on the threshold of the premier and all it's riches - they are almost at the biggest domestic league game in the world (financially)

They will be far more aware of that then some disappointment a year ago

And anyway it was their abject showing against Preston that did for them - if they'd lost against them 6-1 or 5-0 they'd still have got in the play-offs

Won't make a shred of difference - their team is standing on the threshold of the premier and all it's riches - they are almost at the biggest domestic league game in the world (financially)

They will be far more aware of that then some disappointment a year ago

And anyway it was their abject showing against Preston that did for them - if they'd lost against them 6-1 or 5-0 they'd still have got in the play-offs

So what you are really saying is that we should win that game :biggrin:

So what you are really saying is that we should win that game :biggrin:

Well i think playing a team who will probably field a much weakened side, who aren't bothered about the game and would prefer not to play it - who all have their minds on much bigger upcoming games and consequently will be about as bothered about putting a shift in as a doley on crack - is about the best game we could have

Well i think playing a team who will probably field a much weakened side, who aren't bothered about the game and would prefer not to play it - who all have their minds on much bigger upcoming games and consequently will be about as bothered about putting a shift in as a doley on crack - is about the best game we could have

True, but this is Wednesday we are talking about. My biggest worry & has been for months now, is our lack of fighting spirit & the negative tactics of accepting draws in this "hard to beat quest" Not to mention our complete lack of ability to score goals generally.