Least we will now know for definite ....

Maybe he rates him, and I'd suggest he knows more than you.

I'd also agree with you that he knows more than me

But that is my main worry...... how the hell can he still rate him after his last 4 or 5 matches ? Anyone in that ground could see he is just not good enough.

If this is Alan's 'eye' for a player, then what he is going to do with our budget at the end of the season ?

I'd also agree with you that he knows more than me

But that is my main worry...... how the hell can he still rate him after his last 4 or 5 matches ? Anyone in that ground could see he is just not good enough.

If this is Alan's 'eye' for a player, then what he is going to do with our budget at the end of the season ?

He clearly is good enough. We all saw that when he played for Palace (and most on here said it was a great signing), and the fact that a Premiership team forked out £2m for him suggests he's more than good enough for us.

He's just not doing it yet - possibly still trying to find full fitness. That's different to him not being good enough, and I'm sure AI knows this and is possibly trying to get him upto the level that we know he can perform at.

Fitness is still an issue with Soares i reckon. But i think the major things withhim is that he's not a right winger, he's a good central midfielder at this level as proved at Palace and he had a good season in CM when Palace were in the Prem.

If i was in charge i'd either drop Potter and move Soares inside to partner O'Connor as a two or i'd slightly change the system a bit and play McAllistar, O'Connor & Soares in together. Get a right and left winger from Tudgay/Gray Esajas/Varney (eventually JJ)and play Clarke/Tudgay/Varney up top.

Unfortunately, AI has inherited a pretty poor selection of players, he's going to have get the best out of them which ever way possible.

He clearly is good enough. We all saw that when he played for Palace (and most on here said it was a great signing), and the fact that a Premiership team forked out £2m for him suggests he's more than good enough for us.

He's just not doing it yet - possibly still trying to find full fitness. That's different to him not being good enough, and I'm sure AI knows this and is possibly trying to get him upto the level that we know he can perform at.

a Premiership team forked out £2m for him Sorry, how much did Jeffers sign for Arsenal for ? means nothing.

possibly still trying to find full fitness After the run in the side he has had and no injuries since he has been here. YOu really are clutching at straws now. If he is not fit after all this time then we need to get rid now as his conditioning is like that of a pub team player

....on Saturday, whether Irvine is being told he has to play Soares (due to the high loan costs involved etc) or, if there is a clause in the loan agreement, saying he has to start every match.

Because, if he starts Saturday, after that performance, then it is clear that there is something going on above Alan, that we don't know about i.e. loan clause

What a load of w@nk.

We know Soares can be good at this level. If AI gives him another chance then it will be because he thinks it's best.

Why do you always look for stuff under the surface?

Tbh we'd see a much better Soares if he got played in the middle of midfield, because that's his position.

What we're seeing is Soares playing wide right to help the balance and structure of the team, which largely negates his attacking qualities but makes the team much harder to beat which wouldn't happen if we had an out and out winger on one side like JJ.

I'd like, when he's fit in a week or two, to see Miller play the role Soares is playing, and then move Soares inside at the expense of Potter.

Don't underestimate the importance of what Soares is doing for the team in the mean time though- he's one of the most important players in achieving Irvine's vision of two rigid and structured banks of 4.

what we needed to do against Donny was take a risk

plonk 5 in the middle to combat Donny and stop them from playing football.

they had 1 striker up front yet still managed to cause us problems .. the fullbacks were bombing on, Chambers and O'Connor literally in wide attacking formations with the 3 in the middle taking the wee wee out of JOC and Potter. Because our wide players, Soares and Gray either drifted in field or dropped 2 deep it allowed there full backs to plough on and doubled up the attack on the flanks

what we needed was JOC in front of the back 4, disciplined and told to operated in and around the centre circle, just in front of our penalty area and just outside there box. We then needed Potter and Soares in the middle pulling the strings. we needed Easjas on the left at least providing us with some creativity on the wings cos last night we had nothing out wide .. nothing .. absolutely NOTHING

for all Buxtons errors and people getting on his back. Simek is way off the pace and at the moment, is no better then Buxton in that position. At least Buxton is good going forward

a Premiership team forked out £2m for him Sorry, how much did Jeffers sign for Arsenal for ? means nothing.

possibly still trying to find full fitness After the run in the side he has had and no injuries since he has been here. YOu really are clutching at straws now. If he is not fit after all this time then we need to get rid now as his conditioning is like that of a pub team player

You're kind of backing up my point there. Jeffers, as a footballer, is more than good enough for us but he's not done it either, for one reason or another.

Tbh we'd see a much better Soares if he got played in the middle of midfield, because that's his position.

What we're seeing is Soares playing wide right to help the balance and structure of the team, which largely negates his attacking qualities but makes the team much harder to beat which wouldn't happen if we had an out and out winger on one side like JJ.

I'd like, when he's fit in a week or two, to see Miller play the role Soares is playing, and then move Soares inside at the expense of Potter.

Don't underestimate the importance of what Soares is doing for the team in the mean time though- he's one of the most important players in achieving Irvine's vision of two rigid and structured banks of 4.

Good post. Edited by Chris E

....on Saturday, whether Irvine is being told he has to play Soares (due to the high loan costs involved etc) or, if there is a clause in the loan agreement, saying he has to start every match.

Because, if he starts Saturday, after that performance, then it is clear that there is something going on above Alan, that we don't know about i.e. loan clause

Im not going to read the rest of the thread but there is no chance on earth we would sign a player with such restrictions. Do you live on another planet?

Yes Soares had a stinker but we don't have anybody else who can play right side of midfield and be defensively decent and decent going forward. We could play Tudgay there but then that leaves us without a CF who is good in the air. He might be dropped but I wouldn't be that surprised if he started!

Guest WaddleIsALegend

We haven't got any at the moment. We're missing JJ, I know he's not to everyone's taste, but he would have been effective tonight. We were crying out for someone who could get on the ball and carry it deep into the opponents half.

If we are lucky enough to stay up, with 10 players coming out of contract in the summer, at least Al will be able to have a good clear out. Getting the "Fox in the box" off the payroll should free up a sizable amount of wages.

Im not sure quite how as he hasn't played but I am pretty sure this whole situation is Jeffers's fault. :ohmy:

Potter was the worst he's played this season (and that's saying something).

Soares always tries to get forward which is what we have been craving from the centre of midfield all season. O'Connor has been filling in this role, which lets face it, is like getting an elephant to fly.

I'd prefer JOC to be dropped but if Potter was dropped then I would definitely not complain.

Was also disappointed to here some cheers for Soares coming off. He was not the worst player on the pitch IMO. He's only played for us for 2 months and has not been anyway near the worst player in this period. Not going to be good for his confidence either.

Posted Image

:blink:

Edited by SiJ

Im not sure quite how as he hasn't played but I am pretty sure this whole situation is Jeffers's fault. :ohmy:

I never once said it was Jeffers fault. I implied that once we get him off the books, it will free up wages to bring a couple of players in who actually take part in games. But hey, keep on spinning.

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

5 wins out of 8 and we need to drop half the side !!!!!!!!!

Typical Wednesdayites on here http://www.owlstalk.co.uk/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif

like it....if we had anyone who was that much better than the others and not getting in the side...don't we think irvine or the coaches might have seen it...fantasy football manager games in the national press make everyone think THEY are a great manager...pick your team...pick your formation...and imagine how many it would have won by...no need for a plan B...nothing ever go's wrong...'cos it never takes to the field in real life...let irvine do the job...he's done fantastic so far...under the previous regime we'd have been down by now...lets see if we can survive...we might have a good start next year...we might get burnley first up...

Guest gringo69

Our very poor midfield played against a very good midfield last night.

We were all under par and Donny always seemed to have a spare man free with space and also time.

We were 4-4-2 versus their 4-5-1 which was also the problem, missed completely by our coaching staff.

Even so, 2 posts, 1 missed sitter versus a fluke overhead kick with a handball in the build up and a deflection.

You can point the finger all night at any individual but its the overall picture that makes the difference.

You can't sit watching their midfield running us ragged all night and do nowt until its too late.

Our very poor midfield played against a very good midfield last night.

We were all under par and Donny always seemed to have a spare man free with space and also time.

We were 4-4-2 versus their 4-5-1 which was also the problem, missed completely by our coaching staff.

Even so, 2 posts, 1 missed sitter versus a fluke overhead kick with a handball in the build up and a deflection.

You can point the finger all night at any individual but its the overall picture that makes the difference.

You can't sit watching their midfield running us ragged all night and do nowt until its too late.

When we were getting run ragged and the boos had started being fired from the kop, why did we not change the system to match them ?

Irvine stood and watched them take the lead.

We could have left Tudgay up top, pulled Gray or Soares on one wing, with Varney on the other, then had a middle 3 to match them.

Surely this should have been done to bring us in at half time still level, then re-think our plan from then on ?

Still, hindsight is a good thing, but aint that what managers are paid for ?

Much better performance with Soares not on the pitch.

Thank flip for this thread.

Cheers Glaser.