Jordan Rhodes and Sheffield Wednesday - Latest

Guest wilyfox
2 minutes ago, Wath-owl said:

If Villa were to sell McCormack now then it would have to be at a huge loss on what they paid in the summer. 

They may as well stick with him. 

So you'd think, but Rhodes price hasn't dropped...and he's done sod all this season. 

McCormack looks like one of them lads that puts weight on whilst eating dust. 

As as soon as he stops playing football he will be on a Channel 5 documentary about the emergency services, when he has to get whinched out of his bedroom by the local fire brigade, as he's got too fat to get down the stairs. 

Am sorry but 9 million on Rhodes at this time is wrong in my opinion. We have plenty up front now and how long would it take for him to get up to speed? Rhodes when he was at Huddersfield would have been worth it 

Edited by owls_wawaw

Guest wilyfox
1 minute ago, everydayiswednesday said:

Just depends how serious they are about Rhodes. Interesting couple of weeks coming up.

Probably sell Ayew instead. Villa would be foolish to strengthen Leeds' or our cause at this time. They're only outsiders for the playoffs as it is.. 

8 minutes ago, owls_wawaw said:

Am sorry but 9 million on Rhodes at this time is wrong in my opinion. We have plenty up front now and how long would it take for him to get up to speed? Rhodes when he was at Huddersfield would have been worth it 

88 goals in 177 games at a higher level since leaving Udders. What's changed?

Maybe Villa are sorting themselves out for next season.

Yes, they may have an outside chance this season but getting players like Rhodes in now, will let him bed in for the start of next season.

They have parachute payments, they need to shift on some of the Premier League flops, it will probably take all season to do that.

Regardless, they will be in a much better position than some come August.

1 hour ago, RUMBELOWS91 said:

He'd put the ball in the back of the net. 

Have a look at his goals. He gets across the front of defenders better than probably any other striker at this level.

He's an absolute pest, playing on the shoulder of centre halves.

He had a knack of anticipating where the ball is going to drop in the area, and he's extremely calm when he gets a chance.

unfortunately he probably can't ping a 50 yard pass, or leave 2 defenders for dead with a Cruyff turn though.

he's as good as we can hope for at what he does (imo Hooper's not far short either) - making the chances for him is down to the rest of the team. Whether the rest of the team is making the chances, and whether CC should be prioritising that area is another issue.

to suggest Jordan Rhodes isn't up to it at this level though is an interesting point of view though, I'll give you that!

By this level, I mean top six championship level. There were times in the past, when I'd loved us to have signed Jordan, but we're at a different level now in fact, we're in a tricky position, where someone like him is not a must anymore. Unfortunately, we aren't in the position where we can splash out £10m on a player, just to have him around.

If we were, or we could get him on loan, then yes, I'd take him. For sure, he is potentially one of the best goal getters in the league and that is always a useful asset to have around. I could envisage him playing the sort of role for us, as ALF played for Reading. 

Guest wilyfox
1 minute ago, Sgt Wednesday said:

Maybe Villa are sorting themselves out for next season.

Then I'd have thought it would be worth their while waiting 6 months and take Lansbury on a free. Save themselves £3m. 

1 minute ago, gurujuan said:

By this level, I mean top six championship level. There were times in the past, when I'd loved us to have signed Jordan, but we're at a different level now in fact, we're in a tricky position, where someone like him is not a must anymore. Unfortunately, we aren't in the position where we can splash out £10m on a player, just to have him around.

If we were, or we could get him on loan, then yes, I'd take him. For sure, he is potentially one of the best goal getters in the league and that is always a useful asset to have around. I could envisage him playing the sort of role for us, as ALF played for Reading. 

There's a hell of a lot of contradictions in that post! 

Does he improve us or not? If so, shouldn't we sign him? After all, we're approaching the end game now - with a £180m pot of gold on the horizon.

Rhodes was in a poor Blackburn side, he then became a squad player in a decent Boro side, mainly down to not being fancied in the lone striker role.

Any Championship side signing Jordan Rhodes this January will be signing the best striker outside the top flight.

Lets not let the lack of regular football cloud judgement.

5 minutes ago, wilyfox said:

Then I'd have thought it would be worth their while waiting 6 months and take Lansbury on a free. Save themselves £3m. 

3m is a small price tag.

In the summer there will be many more having a look at Lansbury.

Teams in a much better position than Villa.

Edited by Sgt Wednesday

37 minutes ago, RUMBELOWS91 said:

There's a hell of a lot of contradictions in that post! 

Does he improve us or not? If so, shouldn't we sign him? After all, we're approaching the end game now - with a £180m pot of gold on the horizon.

I'm not sure we're in the same position as Boro, when he joined them. For us, it's a huge risk, and perhaps the money would be better spent elsewhere