FREE SWFC Podcast feat. Tommy Craig! LISTEN NOW!

Thomas Craig will be familiar to most Wednesday fans.

Most will know him from playing Tommy Harris in Coronation Street. Or Simon Goddard in Where The Heart Is. But for the last nine years he has played the role of Inspector Thomas Brackenreid in Canada's number one drama Murdoch Mysteries.

One thing we all know about 'Tom' is that he ALWAYS manages to get a reference to Wednesday into his roles on TV. However, in the latest episode of Murdoch Mysteries he goes one step further....

Tom was kind enough to do a full interview with the Owlstalk Podcast this week, AVAILABLE NOW! (where Tom talks about sneaking Wednesday and Lloyd Owusu references into Corrie, having a Mark Pembridge photo on his locker in Soldier Soldier, how he thinks that Owlstalk users are 'Nerds' and his thoughts on Wednesday's chances in the league this season), but in advance of that he wanted to let everyone know about the next episode of Murdoch Mysteries, which is on the telly on the Alibi channel on Monday evening at 9pm.

post-1933-0-10265900-1458440647_thumb.jp

"When I was originally cast in Murdoch Mysteries the first season was set in 1895, each new season we would go up a year. Eventually last summer we came to film Season 9, hence 1903.

"Before Christmas of 2014 my Canadian producer was taking a holiday in London, so I took him to Craven Cottage to watch The Wednesday, unfortunately we were hammered 4-0 but as the 3rd goal went in the away end went nuts, it was possibly the best atmosphere for a long time.

"My producer being a Maple Leafs Hockey fan couldn't get over how many away fans were there and what a noise and racket was being made even though we were 3-0 down.

"In the pub after I mentioned to him that if the show was picked up that forthcoming summer the year would be 1903 and coincide with Wednesday's first title.

"Pete (the producer) said we would try and get a mention of it in the script at some point."

"My character's backstory originally had a mention of him coming from Doncaster and being a Rugby fan, no mention of football in the previous 8 seasons, in fact it wasn't until Season 3 when we were referencing 1897 that I realised we were going forward a year at a time!

"I always felt a missed opportunity to mention the cup win of 1896.

"So I arrived in Toronto in May and Pete immediately pulled me to one side my first day at work and said 'Tom, we're not only going to mention the title win, but we're going to create a subplot around it and we're going to get The Extras to Bounce......!' To which I replied 'but we didn't really bounce like that in 1903!'

"The writers took a bit of artistic license with the facts, in the show we're actually listening to us winning the league in the last match by telegraph, whereas in reality Wednesday had finished their fixtures and were relying on the outcome of Sunderland v Newcastle to become champions.

"There is also mention of Leeds and on the day I was about to say that I don't think Leeds existed at that point in time, but instead I kept schtum and the cast have a modern joke at Leeds expense..."

So, there you have it folks. Tommy Craig has pushed his Wednesday connections on to the people of Canada and around the world and so it would be great for you to support him in his show and watch the episode he was instrumental in making about SWFC on the Alibi channel this Monday at 9pm.

And, don't forget to hear more from Tom on the Owlstalk Podcast this week too, where we talk more in depth about how he keeps up with Wednesday affairs by reading Owlstalk when filming in Canada, exactly how he convinced the producers to make a sub-plot about SWFC in this episode of Murdoch Mysteries, how he got away with his Owls references on Corrie and much more...

LISTEN / SUBSCRIBE HERE: https://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/owlstalk-sheffield-wednesday/id1077388054?mt=2

Thanks to Thomas Craig for taking the time to write the above and speak to the Owlstalk podcast! The guy is a proper big Wednesday fan and a great advocate for the club in all the roles he does.

Edited by Deejayone

lol good old Tommy.

I saw him at Forest last week and i remember that 'One touch Owusu' t-shirt he wore in Corrie.

Btw, i've recently discovered i'm a nerd!

Edited by Pulsar

I know he's a good lad, was speaking to him at Portman road about ten years ago as he knows some of the 'characters' i used to drink with.

Anyway how come you're posting at this ridiculous hour!

You a fruitcake or what!?

As much as I hate the Maple Leafs( having lived in Vancouver for many years) you do have to take your hats off to their fans. The last time they won the Stanley Cup (the NHL's major trophy) in 1967 and have been abysmal ever since. Yet their fans stick by them, sure they berate them and give them poo poo for playing crap but they will defend them to a man/woman. I'm surprised that the producer would not understand the logic of Wednesday fans still getting behind the team even when losing. Still fair do's to the man for producing the episode.

As much as I hate the Maple Leafs( having lived in Vancouver for many years) you do have to take your hats off to their fans. The last time they won the Stanley Cup (the NHL's major trophy) in 1967 and have been abysmal ever since. Yet their fans stick by them, sure they berate them and give them poo poo for playing crap but they will defend them to a man/woman. I'm surprised that the producer would not understand the logic of Wednesday fans still getting behind the team even when losing. Still fair do's to the man for producing the episode.

I think it was about the atmosphere at an away game as much as anything. How many fans we took to London for a game we'd likely struggle to lose and how good the fans were despite that (I'm not so sure away followings in hockey are that big a thing over there are they?).

Tom explains a bit more in the podcast tomorrow! :)

I think it was about the atmosphere at an away game as much as anything. How many fans we took to London for a game we'd likely struggle to lose and how good the fans were despite that (I'm not so sure away followings in hockey are that big a thing over there are they?).

Tom explains a bit more in the podcast tomorrow! :)

I see your point, and you are right the away support is not like over here simply because of the distances involved. Though most cities have displaced fans from other teams and they go to the games but they just sit among the home supporters. They wear their teams jersey and while there is banter it is very rare there is any trouble.

Do you know the title of the episode? My Sons still live over in Toronto, I'll tell them to look out for it.

Edited by Mickjj

I see your point, and you are right the away support is not like over here simply because of the distances involved. Though most cities have displaced fans from other teams and they go to the games but they just sit among the home supporters. They wear their teams jersey and while there is banter it is very rare there is any trouble.

Do you know the title of the episode? My Sons still live over in Toronto, I'll tell them to look out for it.

It has already aired in Canada, but should be available on demand or something?

It is Season 9, Episode 9: 'Raised on robbery'.