Where will our budget rank next season?

Both in terms of wages and spending power I imagine we'll be top 6 again.

Due to Burnley and Hull going straight back up there are less teams on parachute payments than their could have been. 

Aston Villa, Newcastle and Norwich will all have more spending power than us in terms of wages. A disproportionately large amount when you compare them to the bottom 6 teams in this league, especially Burton Albion (the mismatch is quite astounding). 

Teams like Derby, ourselves and Brighton will all have the most spending power after the above teams I imagine. Possibly us and Derby will spend more on transfer fee's than other relegated teams who may choose to retain and release rather than spend. 

Plus there's always a team or two that ups their spending and goes for it, I can't really see who that'd be at this moment. Apart from these top 6 teams the rest of the division is full of teams that appear to have little money in comparison. Maybe Wolves, QPR (still on parachute payments) and Bristol City (who are alleged to have a fair bit of backing for the upcoming season) are the teams to watch out for. 

So, how much do you think we WILL spend? Considering DC stated that this next season was the one to aim for promotion it looks like we'll be spending more than the £10M or so in transfer fees and large increase of the wage bill that we did this season. Could you see us doing a Boro/Derby and splashing £25M+ this summer? 

ffs I've spelt the title incorrectly. 'our budget'. 

lol

Edited by TheEnchanter

I honestly have no idea. I don't think there will be a budget as such but if the right player becomes available, I'm sure Chansiri will try his upmost to bring him in.

I'm just interested to see whether we will complete some of the 'bigger' transfers that we were threatening to do last season. E.g McCormack and Judge. 

I'm not even suggesting that spending a fortune is the best thing to do, you only have to look at Derby for that. It'll definitely be exciting to see what we get up to this summer though. 

There's no way Chansiri will spend £25 million.

I agree with this. However, it's not as mad these days as it once was for Champ clubs to spend as much is it? Plus I can definitely see him spending more than the £10m+ we spent this season but on a lot less players. 

How much has DC spent so far on transfers?

TBH it is a good time to buy with the Euro's coming. Teams will be buying the new stars and then wanting to cut their current squads (for this reason).

Edited by iliveinthenow

Won't be top six but possibly top 10. We need to be astute again

What other teams would possibly spend more on wages and fees than the 3 relegated teams and Derby? I can't really think of any. Maybe Fulham but they're weirdly so bad considering their last 2 years spend. 

I agree with this. However, it's not as mad these days as it once was for Champ clubs to spend as much is it? Plus I can definitely see him spending more than the £10m+ we spent this season but on a lot less players. 

Well these "£10 million" figures qouted as being spent are guess work really aren't they,there were no official figures released for any transfers,it was just an assumption that forestieri and hooper cost what they did as being the " going rate" for them,not doubting swfc spent millions on players.

This season Derby must have spent 3 times what we did, and finished with 4 more points to show for it. Much more to it than money. I'm confident we'll get the players we need, even if we've never heard of half of them before.

There's bound to be investment in the training facilities, etc. too, which will help.

The key is going to be getting the squad settled over the summer though, not a quarter of the way through the season. We can't give the top teams a 9 game head start again.

Well these "£10 million" figures qouted as being spent are guess work really aren't they,there were no official figures released for any transfers,it was just an assumption that forestieri and hooper cost what they did as being the " going rate" for them,not doubting swfc spent millions on players.

It's true that no one knows how much we spent and quoting figures of '10million' this or that can appear to sound very 'football managery' however when you look at the players we've paid for this year, FF, Hooper, Joao, Matias, Hunt etc there's a pretty large chance that we did spend close to that amount. We did recoup £1-2M on a couple of player sales and imagine we might do that again this summer. 

What we will do is get a few additions in that don't come with hype e.g. think Tom Ince (as someone mentioned in an earlier post) - we won't be going for a transfer like that.

I believe (IMHO) that there are some firm targets identified already. I can't see us f.ucking about until last day of the transfer window either. Early bird transfer activity catches the worm.

Believe in CC tapping into his network and DC to back him.

Edit: it's not the amount spent it is the correct identification of the players we need, value is irrelevant. We did superb business last year. Same again....

Edited by F. Spiksley

Guest Merry dolphin

I would expect us to have the same kind of budget that Middlesboro and Derby have enjoyed this year. If DC is going to come good on his promise of promotion in 2017 then this is what is required. Surely he would have know this when he made his comments.

I should imagine that the play off run plus the additional revenue of a successful season would mean we have about 7 million, plus about another 8 million from DC (similar to this season)

My guess is about 15m invested in 3-4 players and a few freebies thrown in with out of contract players or loans. No need for wholesale changes like last year, but quality added in the areas where we need it.

I'm not sure who will call the shots now the committee has been dispanded? I love Carlos' coaching and man management but think he needs some support in recruitment. I think he needs a Harry Redknapp style director of football to support him and avoid spunking the budget on McGeady or Bennet types.