The best goals from the most skilful striker we've ever had

Sorry Neil, but Chris Waddle still holds this flame in my eyes

I politely disagree.

Waddle was brilliant but predictable, his footwork was just too quick for the time so that allowed him to beat the full backs.  He probably had a better footballing brain that Paolo.  (or a better brain altogether)

Paolo was an entirely different level tho.  Unpredictable, quick, powerful, incredibly skilful and with a fire that Waddle never had.  Where Waddle frustrated defenders, Paolo terrified them.  He was mis-managed by people who became intimidated by him and we didn't support him after the push.  We had a £10m/£15m player on our hands there at that time.  One of the best in the league, as he went on to prove.

That in no way takes anything away from Mr. Waddle by the way.  I was lucky (old) enough to worship him as well.

John Sheridan might have something to say about that, and Chris Waddle, and David Hirst, and Jon Bestwetherick! 

None of those could single handedly change the tempo and outcome of a game through sheer will alone like Paolo.

What waddle did vs West Ham, Paolo did regularly and every time he felt like it

Owlstalk Shop

I politely disagree.

Waddle was brilliant but predictable, his footwork was just too quick for the time so that allowed him to beat the full backs. He probably had a better footballing brain that Paolo. (or a better brain altogether)

Paolo was an entirely different level tho. Unpredictable, quick, powerful, incredibly skilful and with a fire that Waddle never had. Where Waddle frustrated defenders, Paolo terrified them. He was mis-managed by people who became intimidated by him and we didn't support him after the push. We had a £10m/£15m player on our hands there at that time. One of the best in the league, as he went on to prove.

That in no way takes anything away from Mr. Waddle by the way. I was lucky (old) enough to worship him as well.

di canio hardly played for Italy.

Career that two players had clearly shows that Waddle was able to make bigger impact, and on the bigger stage as well.

Last player that ever made Paolo Maldini look ridiculous as well. Di Canio, never managed. Not even close.

None of those could single handedly change the tempo and outcome of a game through sheer will alone like Paolo.

What waddle did vs West Ham, Paolo did regularly and every time he felt like it

Carbone and Di Canio could change the outcome of games with their skill but they didn't do it enough.

They didn't do it enough in their home country or enough to make their way into the Italian team.

I loved watching them but I also loved watching the likes of Sheridan; Hirst and Waddle in their pomp too, who were more consistent.

Arguably Carbone and Di Canio didn't hit the heights of Sheridan, Hirst or Waddle during their time in our colours.

They did go on to play outstandingly well after they left us and we will never know if we could've been successful

with them in our side because of the way they were mismanaged and driven out of the club by our owner and manager at the time.

They weren't on the same level as Zola; Bergkamp or Cantona who for me are the best ever Premier League players.

Di Canio and Carbone although they were great entertainers to watch in our colours and I loved watching them and still love them as players

but for me they weren't on the same level as the likes of Sheridan; Hirst, Waddle, Harkes and Nilsson, true greats who wore our shirt and achieved success.

And in terms of honours in modern times Roland Nilsson and John Harkes were by far our most successful players during their careers in the modern era. 

Edited by MilansMissingMarbles

Comparing the goals Hirst and Di Canio scored in our colours, Hirst's goals were more varied and arguably more skillful.

Because Hirst scored all kinds of goals. Individual goals like Di Canio, but also headers, long range efforts, virtually every kind of goal.

So for me Hirst was our most skillful and complete striker we've ever had, in the modern era.

I vote for Waddle as most skilful player.

Waddle did it for us in the big games as well.

Strange how Di Canio never played international football.

Italy had the likes of Zola the Premier League's best ever player in my opinion, Roberto Baggio and Alessandro Del Pierro, etc

Benito Carbone and Paolo Di Canio, although great in our colours and in the Premier League weren't on the same level as those players.

In terms of skillful English players Chris Waddle was on the same par with some of the best English players of his time during his peak

but just like Matt Le Tissier and David Hirst, they were overlooked or not picked enough for the England team whilst at their peak.

I politely disagree.

Waddle was brilliant but predictable, his footwork was just too quick for the time so that allowed him to beat the full backs.  He probably had a better footballing brain that Paolo.  (or a better brain altogether)

Paolo was an entirely different level tho.  Unpredictable, quick, powerful, incredibly skilful and with a fire that Waddle never had.  Where Waddle frustrated defenders, Paolo terrified them.  He was mis-managed by people who became intimidated by him and we didn't support him after the push.  We had a £10m/£15m player on our hands there at that time.  One of the best in the league, as he went on to prove.

That in no way takes anything away from Mr. Waddle by the way.  I was lucky (old) enough to worship him as well.

No problem Mr Wizard - its the beauty of football, it splits opinions for different reasons.

I do agree with every word you say. I just have 'Waddle tinted glasses'

Edited by ramone

he didnt play any for the full italian team which is amazing .dont know who kept him out but he must have been some player

Italy had Zola, Baggio, Totti and Del Pierro at their pomp, Carbone and Di Canio weren't even close to making the Italian squad at the time.

But to be fair to them it was held against them that they were journeymen and never really did it for any of the big Italian teams in their home country.