What did you really expect?

I'm amazed by the extent of some of the negativity on here at the moment. We've hit a sticky patch where wins (and goals) are hard to come by, but we're hardly being turned over week in week out and the points tally is still steadily ticking over. After the dire straits of recent seasons, this is a fairly tame 'bad' patch.

Maybe we've lost a bit of perspective? At the start of the season...

Q1) ...which of the teams who are above us in the league would you have expected us to finish above?

Q2) ...which of the teams who are below us in the league would you have expected to finish above us?

If the answer to question 2 is longer than the answer to question 1, then we're doing OK, aren't we?

By my reckoning, I thought we'd finish above Charlton and Wolves but would finish below Reading, Leeds, Wigan, Fulham and Brighton, so we're up on my pre-season expectations.

post-37726-0-41290900-1414266278_thumb.p

A couple of back to back wins, would put us back into the playoffs where we belong. 

One thing I didn't expect this season, is that we have the best defensive record in the league. 

We really need to start picking up some wins though. 

as has been said many times over the years - it's the hope that kills

the far far better results at the beginning than I /we expected  gave us futile hope that investment / ambition would tip us into a potential playoff team 

It just hasn't happened and the much celebrated tie against city has destroyed the confidence and belief.  I firmly believe that if we'd had a more winnable draw we'd done much better in the subsequent league matches because our opening results were down to brilliant team spirit not quality football  - this league looks weak to me it's such a shame we are going to miss a chance like this 

without additions we are slowly going one way and I'm afraid everyone knows it 

A couple of back to back wins, would put us back into the playoffs where we belong

One thing I didn't expect this season, is that we have the best defensive record in the league. 

We really need to start picking up some wins though. 

Did you think we'd belong in the playoffs before the season kicked off, though? I can't imagine many did, yet there's so much doom and gloom on here because we're only drawing games at the moment.

Did you think we'd belong in the playoffs before the season kicked off, though? I can't imagine many did, yet there's so much doom and gloom on here because we're only drawing games at the moment.

In answer to your question, probably not.  But I can't help but hope that we will be going for the playoffs this time around.  If we just aimed for mid table, it would be a pretty boring season. 

As far as I'm concerned, even though we haven't won in a while, I still think the playoffs are still on.  All we need is a couple of back to back wins and be a bit more prolific up front and we will be more than oreyt. 

The concern is more about our current form comtinuing for the rest of the season. We'll not sustain a midtable position at that rate!

A relegation battle is looking odds on unless something changes. So the negativity is completely understandable.

When you watch the way we're playing right now, it's difficult to see where the next goal is coming from, let alone the next score draw or (pie in the sky) next win!

The concern is more about our current form comtinuing for the rest of the season. We'll not sustain a midtable position at that rate!

A relegation battle is looking odds on unless something changes. So the negativity is completely understandable.

When you watch the way we're playing right now, it's difficult to see where the next goal is coming from, let alone the next score draw or (pie in the sky) next win!

This, you'll get a lot of critisism for this post Fatima, but you're right.

Edited by zzmdu

I'm amazed by the extent of some of the negativity on here at the moment. We've hit a sticky patch where wins (and goals) are hard to come by, but we're hardly being turned over week in week out and the points tally is still steadily ticking over. After the dire straits of recent seasons, this is a fairly tame 'bad' patch.

Maybe we've lost a bit of perspective? At the start of the season...

Q1) ...which of the teams who are above us in the league would you have expected us to finish above?

Q2) ...which of the teams who are below us in the league would you have expected to finish above us?

If the answer to question 2 is longer than the answer to question 1, then we're doing OK, aren't we?

By my reckoning, I thought we'd finish above Charlton and Wolves but would finish below Reading, Leeds, Wigan, Fulham and Brighton, so we're up on my pre-season expectations.

Screen Shot 2014-10-25 at 20.44.17.png

Could not agree more. Now if everyone could stop their bleating of promotion and other golden eggs and take solace in drawing with recently relegated clubs we can all get on with our lives. This is our level and I tell you what it might be a bit stale but it's better then going to Peterborough in a relegation battle...

On we go

In answer to your question, probably not.  But I can't help but hope that we will be going for the playoffs this time around.  If we just aimed for mid table, it would be a pretty boring season. 

As far as I'm concerned, even though we haven't won in a while, I still think the playoffs are still on.  All we need is a couple of back to back wins and be a bit more prolific up front and we will be more than oreyt. 

I think playoffs are a possibility, but an unlikely one unless we pull off another loan of Wickham-esque proportions. It's frustrating because we're so close yet so far away from where we want to be, but I'd be far more annoyed if I were a Forest fan tonight: after all the millions they've spent potentially incurring a transfer embargo, they're only 3 points ahead of us!

Its not doom and gloom by any stretch of the imagination.

We have lost one game a month.

Its the frustration that we cannot turn draws into wins [or should I say be allowed to]- as Ronio said winning two games on the spin can make a huge difference in terms of being better that a ridiculously compact division where everyone is beating each other.

We are one creative midfielder away from turning a memorable season into a remarkable one for many reasons including financial gain. I cannot understand MM's logic in at least attempting to find a player who can make that difference in favour of sitting on his hands.

If it means one in one or two out then loan out Madine, send Hope back if we can.

I am beginning to think MM put nothing in the budget for win bonuses...

Need to score goals to win games. We are not and more worryingly dont even look close to doing at the moment.

Its not where we are in the league; thats better than where i thought we'd be a thirdof the way through.

Its the lack of general creativity in our forward play and our seeming inability to control possession. You can live with not controlling possession if you are quick and effective on the counter attack. We have not been either for a number of weeks.

I am hoping its a twmporary blip but SG's justified focus on defensive solidity will mean nothingif its not acconpanied by some element of goal threat. The best defense in the league could shut everyone out for 46 games and their team who cant score will still be relegated.

Need more and quick imho. I fully believe SG is the right man and can find what we are missing id he can seek to address our midfield woes.

This is a bad patch of form and were still getting points in tough games.

Granted we relied on our keeper and were not creating anywhere near enough but some perspective is needed

This is they key phrase. To put things in perspective:

• we didn't win a game until our 13th match last season - our 13th game this season was Tuesday's match against Brentford
  • at this stage last season, Derby had exactly the same points total as we currently have

think we are having very bad luck in front of goal in some games the width of a post or crossbar , had either gone the other side or gone under in the past few games it may have been a different story ,nuhius air shot in the other match with a bit of lady luck it could have been so different ,sooner or later something will go right for us mebe in off the arse or an own goal who knows we just have to fight our way through it ,

No totally disagree.

I hate these look at the table, every team is better than us, what did you expect posts.

I expected more

That's not what I said at all. As I said, there are some teams above us who I would have expected us to finish higher than at the start of the season. On the other hand, there are several teams below us who I'd have thought would finish above us.

Since you clearly expected us to finish above mid table before the Brighton game kicked off, what happened over the summer that caused you to have such an outlook?

think we are having very bad luck in front of goal in some games the width of a post or crossbar , had either gone the other side or gone under in the past few games it may have been a different story ,nuhius air shot in the other match with a bit of lady luck it could have been so different ,sooner or later something will go right for us mebe in off the arse or an own goal who knows we just have to fight our way through it ,

Very true. We've also been on the receiving end of some very shoddy refereeing decisions: the Antonio foul against Forest; the Ipswich handball; Watford's offside opening goal - if just one of these had gone our way, we'd probably have more points than we currently do.