A Reading View.........WTF

esterday was a game which was ultimately decided by Glenn Murray's crucial penalty miss midway through the first half.

I have no doubt that if he would have scored Reading would have gone on to win this match.

After four wins on the bounce I felt confident we could get a positive result against Sheffield Wednesday, a team who no longer had Michail Antonio and Connor Wickham in which both ran riot in our 5-2 loss last season.

We started today with three changes from our win against Millwall, losing Adam Federici and Michael Hector through injury while Jamie Mackie was on the bench.

So this meant a first start for Mikkel Andersen who in the end did not have a save to make so it would be difficult to make a proper judgement of him.

Jake Cooper came in at the back and had a decent game with some no nonsense defending but unfortunately gave away the free kick which led to their goal.

We started off this game well with some good pressing and good possession against a very physical Wednesday team who where lucky to finish with 11 men after some heavy challenges.

I do feel though we just couldn't get enough support at times from our midfield to our front two and were not able to penetrate from our wide players of Nick Blackman and Jake Taylor who couldn't get the better of their men when one on one.

We still managed to create plenty of chances which we had mainly from set plays but we paid the price in the end for not taking them against a Sheffield Wednesday team that were there for taking.

Value for money rating : 5/10

Star man : Jordan Obita - becoming Mr Dependable at the back and one our of main threats going forward.

Mike Sohachevsky, Basingstoke

http://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/sheffield-wednesday-1-reading-fc-7805947?

WE WERE PHYSICAL ??????

Guest tha_knows

esterday was a game which was ultimately decided by Glenn Murray's crucial penalty miss midway through the first half.

I have no doubt that if he would have scored Reading would have gone on to win this match.

After four wins on the bounce I felt confident we could get a positive result against Sheffield Wednesday, a team who no longer had Michail Antonio and Connor Wickham in which both ran riot in our 5-2 loss last season.

We started today with three changes from our win against Millwall, losing Adam Federici and Michael Hector through injury while Jamie Mackie was on the bench.

So this meant a first start for Mikkel Andersen who in the end did not have a save to make so it would be difficult to make a proper judgement of him.

Jake Cooper came in at the back and had a decent game with some no nonsense defending but unfortunately gave away the free kick which led to their goal.

We started off this game well with some good pressing and good possession against a very physical Wednesday team who where lucky to finish with 11 men after some heavy challenges.

I do feel though we just couldn't get enough support at times from our midfield to our front two and were not able to penetrate from our wide players of Nick Blackman and Jake Taylor who couldn't get the better of their men when one on one.

We still managed to create plenty of chances which we had mainly from set plays but we paid the price in the end for not taking them against a Sheffield Wednesday team that were there for taking.

Value for money rating : 5/10

Star man : Jordan Obita - becoming Mr Dependable at the back and one our of main threats going forward.

Mike Sohachevsky, Basingstoke

http://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/sheffield-wednesday-1-reading-fc-7805947?

WE WERE PHYSICAL ??????

Hahahaha has that bloke been smoking the sweet Mary Jane this morning? They are one of the most dirtiest sides iv seen since Billy Davies Forest side. That Cooper at back for them should have been sent off first half for the most deliberate elbow to Mays face. Anyway f**k his opinion, we won. The End. Edited by tha_knows

Strange how the views of fans from opposite clubs differ. Some of what he says is true apart from the key points. I don't think it was an overly physical game at all. They had one trick at set pieces which was to put either Cooper or Pearce deep at the far post and we didn't deal with it very well 3 or 4 times. Apart from that they didn't create anything much in open play. I can't believe he thinks we were there for the taking!?!

As for Jordan Obita being one of their main threats going forward. He hardly got over the halfway line!!

Edited by Babushka1867

You're always there for the taking when it stays 0-0 for most of the game to be fair, we were there for the taking but so were they

We took it, they didn't

That's fair enough but I don't think that's the context he was aiming at. I think it's because he thought that Reading were on top.

Some other thoughts from http://hobnob.royals.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=123643

We didn't play well but 1-0 Reading would have been a fair reflection, so harsh. Some good Football in the first half but then we started going long on goal kicks for some reason ?? Glenn Murray has had two poor games now since his debut & not really sure why we signed Mackie.

Anderson - 7

Gunter -7

Pearce - 7

Cooper-7

Obita - 7

Akpan -5

Norwood-6

Blackman-6

Taylor-5

Cox-6

Murray-4

We miss McCleary.

And

Just back.

If I'm honest it was a game devoid of any real quality from both teams. Unlucky to lose but on the flip side, we definitely didn't deserve to win. Thought our midfield was overrun the entire game & both our full backs were poor.

A draw was fair & their goal was a harsh deflection.

Cooper stood out for me - other than that I really can't say an awful lot.

Meh

Oh - their number 19 made us look like a bunch of mugs & completely bossed it. Not sure what his name is.

I was surprised they left Guthrie on the bench. He's a good player. No Hal Robson-Kanu yday either; dunno whether he's injured or what. I actually thought Reading played better football in the first half of the 5-2 defeat last year than they did yday. Mistakes from Coke and Loovens presented them with their best chances, and they were a threat from corners. Apart from that I thought they were ordinary. Murray was wasteful.