Jamie Paterson

Guest UpTheOwlsss

Some of the recruitment was good but I think the (non) takeover had a negative impact, missing out on potential targets etc.  In some areas the squad has improved with signings like Westwood, Lees, Loovens and Hutchinson.  

Loovens was here already though and Hutchinson is actually a very poor signing

Recruitment hasn't been good at all unfortunately 

Maybe I am, but it's how I feel. I've become totally disillusioned with our recruitment policy recently. Westwood and Lees were good quality frees, as is Hutchinson if we can get him fit. May, yeah I reckon he was worth the gamble as well. Kelhar, Dielna, Hope, Drenthe, GTF, Paterson, no thanks. Again, quality over quantity in my opinion

So you're happy with us wasting a wage on someone who never plays and has a long history of bad injuries (Hutchinson), but you wouldn't be happy with us getting a player on loan from Forest who is highly regarded by a lot of people (the only reason he can't get in Forest's team is the strength of their squad) and plays in a position we need quality in?

I'm disillusioned with our recruitment policy as well, but you talk absolute balls sometimes.

Loovens was here already though and Hutchinson is actually a very poor signing

Recruitment hasn't been good at all unfortunately 

True but we still had to sign him (Loovens). With Hutchinson the lad's quality the only gamble was with his fitness (ironically he got injured in a midweek game whereas last season he only played Saturday to Saturday).  We can probably only really judge at the end of his contract but I agree it's not looking promising so far.  

So you're happy with us wasting a wage on someone who never plays and has a long history of bad injuries (Hutchinson), but you wouldn't be happy with us getting a player on loan from Forest who is highly regarded by a lot of people (the only reason he can't get in Forest's team is the strength of their squad) and plays in a position we need quality in?

I'm disillusioned with our recruitment policy as well, but you talk absolute balls sometimes.

Yeah I was happy we took the gamble with Hutch, I'm sure we've built in safeguards in case it goes boobies up. Having said that, no I wouldn't be happy if all our signings carried the same risk.

There are a few things to consider tho.

Everybody moans about being dependant on short term loans and short term contracts as we were under Jones. Under Gray we have managed to be in the top half of the table without using any of these, basically using players contracted to the club. This must mean the squad is improving.

Yes we need a couple of loans now but I don't expect a Wickham. It was a nonsense that he was not getting a better chance at Sunderland and I don't see anybody of a similar ilk available. However don't forget he went to Leeds and was rubbish, really rubbish.

The only thing Jones was good at was talking clubs/players into loan signings. He did nowt else anyway and he could do this on the phone from Cardiff, golf course or anywhere but the training ground as he was never on there. Are we weaker at this kind of recruitment because Jones is not here. The answer is probably yes.

I think GTF is better than what we have and I expect a couple of more loans soon but I can see they will be of Championship standard not Premiership

There are a few things to consider tho.

Everybody moans about being dependant on short term loans and short term contracts as we were under Jones. Under Gray we have managed to be in the top half of the table without using any of these, basically using players contracted to the club. This must mean the squad is improving.

Yes we need a couple of loans now but I don't expect a Wickham. It was a nonsense that he was not getting a better chance at Sunderland and I don't see anybody of a similar ilk available. However don't forget he went to Leeds and was rubbish, really rubbish.

The only thing Jones was good at was talking clubs/players into loan signings. He did nowt else anyway and he could do this on the phone from Cardiff, golf course or anywhere but the training ground as he was never on there. Are we weaker at this kind of recruitment because Jones is not here. The answer is probably yes.

I think GTF is better than what we have and I expect a couple of more loans soon but I can see they will be of Championship standard not Premiership

A major plus point was having a championship quality back five that we could call our own. Reasonable cover as well. Also the sitting midfielders were again players who were contracted to Sheffield Wednesday. Where we needed to improve the side/squad, were in the creative/attacking third. Here, recruitment has been totally inadequate. May is a decent prospect, one for the future, not necessarily a starter week in, week out. This is where we've fudged it, we didn't manage to bring in the type striker of striker we all said we needed, neither did we adequately replace Antonio. Where also were the couple of season long loans we were said to be looking at? Two quality signings, they could even have been loans, and things would have looked a lot more positive. You could make a case for bringing in all the short term loans, even though we were told that is a route we wouldn't go down, but have they given us what we needed?

It is pretty straightforward why things happened.

The club expected a takeover to happen and signings were probably made on that basis. People like Loovens Kirkland Westwood Lees arrived.

Then it all went pearshaped, we got May only because of the Antonio money and we are back on the same routine under Milan. Don't have a problem with it as i understand why it is. Milan is not going to chuck money at it. End of story

I think Fryatt would have made a massive difference to our team and it is shame he was probably never anywhere near our wage structure

It is pretty straightforward why things happened.

The club expected a takeover to happen and signings were probably made on that basis. People like Loovens Kirkland Westwood Lees arrived.

Then it all went pearshaped, we got May only because of the Antonio money and we are back on the same routine under Milan. Don't have a problem with it as i understand why it is. Milan is not going to chuck money at it. End of story

I think Fryatt would have made a MASSIVE difference to our team and it is shame he was probably never anywhere near our wage structure

On the face of it, that's probably what happened. A few things that niggle though. There was no takeover on the horizon when Milan announced that we would have a substantially increased budget for the coming season. This was the time he talked about bringing in a 20 goal striker and informed us that, other than maybe a couple of season long loans, we wouldn't be relying on the loan market.

Then came the takeover fiasco. I think we all understood that, with the takeover looming, Milan was not going to invest any more into a club he might not own come the start of the season. He seemed happy to sanction the free transfer capture of Westwood, Lees and Hutchinson, after all, although those deals were not without cost, they were the type of deals we'd need to make anyway, even if the takeover were to fall through. Well, fall through it did, and poor old Milan was the last person to see it coming by all accounts. At least without the distraction of the takeover, we could now get on with our recruitment, or so we thought. No, in our desperate attempts to bring in a goalscorer, we had to sacrifice our biggest attacking asset. It appears we've then gambled whatever we got from the Antonio deal on a striker who's never done it at this level. No matter, I think May will eventually prove to be a decent investment. I never expected Milan to throw money at it, and would have been happy with say, Keith Andrews, whom we'd agreed a deal with, on a free, and a couple of decent season long loans as promised. Instead, we've had the usual mixed bag of short term loans, that so far have been unable to make any meaningful contribution to our season.

The recruitment has not been up to scratch nobody can argue with that

It's been within budget, and reflects said budget.

Wickham had done bugger all in ages before he came here. Fryatt was languishing in the reserves. Kenwyne Jones was relatively unknown. All gambles that paid off, which we took and could have passed by on.

Grays recruitment this summer of players he actually wanted to build a squad round has been decent. Hutch, Lees, may, loovens, westwood. The questionable ones have all clearly been the squad fillers, hope, deilna, drenthe etc.

Got to temper wanting good signings with accepting we can't afford to only sign proven quality.

It's been within budget, and reflects said budget.

Wickham had done bugger all in ages before he came here. Fryatt was languishing in the reserves. Kenwyne Jones was relatively unknown. All gambles that paid off, which we took and could have passed by on.

Grays recruitment this summer of players he actually wanted to build a squad round has been decent. Hutch, Lees, may, loovens, westwood. The questionable ones have all clearly been the squad fillers, hope, deilna, drenthe etc.

Got to temper wanting good signings with accepting we can't afford to only sign proven quality.

Yeah to be fair that's a pretty decent summary , i suppose the frustration is coming from having such a decent start and fans realising we haven't got the means to push on and be competitive in the top 6 , to do that requires finances we just haven't got

Guest Sheff Owl

So Forest fans want Paterson in the team ahead of some of their talent yet apparently he isn't very good - bloody hell.

Also to add apparently Ince was at fault for most of their goals conceded yesterday according to some Forest fans, Ince seemed to want to be the star man, they even dropped Burke (who has been good and added with assists) and Fryatt couldn't even get on the bench because they put Ince in the squad.