Jamie Paterson

Guest UpTheOwlsss

Positive signing if true.  I've been impressed with his energy and ability before.  He offers something different to all of the wide players we have at the minute and he'd be the most likely to the opposition defence under pressure with decent balls into the box.

Forest fans love Paterson.

Think you're being very unrealistic in what you expect Guru.

Maybe I am, but it's how I feel. I've become totally disillusioned with our recruitment policy recently. Westwood and Lees were good quality frees, as is Hutchinson if we can get him fit. May, yeah I reckon he was worth the gamble as well. Kelhar, Dielna, Hope, Drenthe, GTF, Paterson, no thanks. Again, quality over quantity in my opinion Edited by gurujuan

Maybe I am, but it's how I feel. I've become totally disillusioned with our recruitment policy recently. Westwood and Lees were good quality frees, as is Hutchinson if we can get him fit. May, yeah I reckon he was worth the gamble as well. Kelhar, Dielna, Hope, Drenthe, GTF, Paterson, no thanks. Again, quality over quantity in my opinion

But we have a small squad. We badly needed numbers. I even remember you saying as such.

It's frustrating but it's what we can afford at the moment.

So which of those points do you not agree with then?

I've come to the conclusion that you will never be happy with anything the club does in the transfer market.

A clever footballer, someone who can run with the ball, offer something totally different to our other strikers, quite pacey, can make runs in behind, can drop deep and receive the ball - link up play, and you're wanting to sign better?

Guest wilyfox

So which of those points do you not agree with then?

I've come to the conclusion that you will never be happy with anything the club does in the transfer market.

A clever footballer, someone who can run with the ball, offer something totally different to our other strikers, quite pacey, can make runs in behind, can drop deep and receive the ball - link up play, and you're wanting to sign better?

Even the converted can drown in guru's pessimism. lol

Maybe I am, but it's how I feel. I've become totally disillusioned with our recruitment policy recently. Westwood and Lees were good quality frees, as is Hutchinson if we can get him fit. May, yeah I reckon he was worth the gamble as well. Kelhar, Dielna, Hope, Drenthe, GTF, Paterson, no thanks. Again, quality over quantity in my opinion

Kelhar - 2nd maybe even 3rd choice centre back. Hardly a position needing a MASSIVE amount of quality and wages is it?

Dielna - 2nd choice centre back - capable of slotting in at midfield and left back.

Hope - a young lad with potential - I remember a clamour on here last season about you guys wanting Berahino - a player of similar ages. I guess this one didn't work out.

Drenthe - if he can reach his form then he would be a good signing. Direct, pacy, clever footballer unlike others.

GTF - Offers something different to everybody else. Wiley old fox, experienced, plenty of craft, May and Nuhiu will learn a great deal from him.

In there are some good squad additions. They're not household names but they are players who can come in and do a job.

Edited by Liam_Baggies

Well you might need to peer a bit closer at the posts then. Clearly I was happy with the business the club did, when signing Westwood, Lees and Hutchinson. As an investment, I could see the merits in signing Stevie May. In fact plenty of things I've been totally supportive of the club about, including championing the present manager when probably not many others were. Let's keep it in perspective shall we, it's only our recent recruitment policy that's naffed me off. It seemed we were getting it right, but I really do think we've lost our way of late. Results would seem to back that up as well.

It seemed we were getting it right, but I really do think we've lost our way of late. Results would seem to back that up as well.

Results?

The 9 clean sheets?

Being four points behind the play-offs after last seasons fiasco which saw us more or less bottom without a win?

If that's losing our way then I can't wait to see the table when we start winning again.

The recruitment in the summer was good - the squad has improved - the squad might be a bit short in depth but as we're seeing the club are looking to make additions to address that. Some people on this forum (and not aimed at yourself, I quite like you as a poster) just want to create negativity and pessimism out of absolutely anything and everything when in actual fact it probably isn't called for.

Edited by Liam_Baggies

Results?

The 9 clean sheets?

Being four points behind the play-offs after last seasons fiasco which saw us more or less bottom without a win?

If that's losing our way then I can't wait to see the table when we start winning again.

The recruitment in the summer was good - the squad has improved - the squad might be a bit short in depth but as we're seeing the club are looking to make additions to address that. Some people on this forum (and not aimed at yourself, I quite like you as a poster) just want to create negativity and pessimism out of absolutely anything and everything when in actual fact it probably isn't called for.

Some of the recruitment was good but I think the (non) takeover had a negative impact, missing out on potential targets etc.  In some areas the squad has improved with signings like Westwood, Lees, Loovens and Hutchinson.  In other areas we have not really improved e.g. out wide with the sale of Antonio and up front we are still crying out for that natural goal scorer. 

Paterson was doing really well for Forest last year. Almost got into double figures. For a player of his age in first season at this level, that's brilliant. 

Hasn't been able to push on under Pearce, but finding yourself behind Burke and Antonio (particularly in current form) is nothing to be ashamed of. 

I, too, get a bit frustrated by pessimism on here about any potential signings. Unrealistic to think you're going to get a player playing at peak of performance on loan. Teams are never going to let such players go. Best you can hope for is a player with talent, who's suffering a dip or not playing, and hope that games and change of scenery cause him to pick up.

Considering this, Paterson-type is best we can hope for, seems to be, and even with him, be surprised if they let him go.

Criticism of him reminds me that of Marshall when we were linked to him. Players go through peaks and troughs. Team in our position have to pick players up from the trough and build them up again. Look at Lees. 

Edited by Juror8

Well it may well turn out to be a red herring but I still stand by my point, recruitment has not been what we were led to believe it would be. Looking at the league table, yes we seem to be doing better than at this stage last season, that much is true. How long can we maintain this improved position? Current form suggests, not much longer. At the start of the season we looked solid, had a good shape, and with addition of a couple more quality signings, I really fancied us for a decent season. If we sign Paterson, he will be our 10th signing of the season, that's too many in my opinion, especially as there's only three of them holding down a regular place in the side.