SWFC and the Music scene

Commercial timing is not one of the current board's strong points. One thing that struck me on Friday's FM was Denis Hobson's comments about that SWFC had never asked Clinton Woods to appear at Hillsborough in any capacity, other than one heavily prompted appearance. He even seemed embarrassed about the fact that United had presented Clinton with an award on the pitch at BL. When Mickey Walker then stated that Hillsborough is a "cold place" it pretty well summed up my thoughts of the place for the last few years. One thing I don't understand is the current boards lack of commercial savvy in the face of their own admission of trying to cut costs and raise revenue.

Now when Sheffield has the most flourishing music scene it has ever had, and the vast majority of these bands are ardent OWLS, could the board not have tapped into this and arranged a concert to either raise funds for the club (transfer ring-fenced!) or ground improvements etc. A summer concert at Hillsborough with a line up of true OWLS - Arctic Monkeys, Milburn, Harrisons and Reverend and the Makers would bring thousands of well needed cash at very little expense particular if the bands agreed to waive any fee at it went back to the club. Instead the club arranges some poxy X-Factor poo which 12-year girls find hard work. Put a stage on the centre circle facing the Kop and you could sell tickets for the kop and wings of the North and South and have standing on half the pitch - must be the potential for 20,000 there at say £25 a ticket = half a million including catering, less security/wages. Decent midfielder in my eyes!

Hope the new owners think outside the (match) box that this shambles have been confined too over the last few years.

Just a thought. UTO

Guest Commander Vimes

In the 80's there was ABC, The Human League and a whole host of other electric bands.

In the 90's there was pulp, who were much bigger than the arctic monkeys, no doubt there were other second rate acts around like the ones you mentioned as well.

Look mate, I was a big fan of Pulp. But they were a distant third in the Britpop race between Blur and Oasis. The Arctic Monkeys have had two number one albums and have headlined Glastonbury. There really is no comparison.

Look mate, I was a big fan of Pulp. But they were a distant third in the Britpop race between Blur and Oasis. The Arctic Monkeys have had two number one albums and have headlined Glastonbury. There really is no comparison.

And in terms of popularity, are currently one of the biggest bands in the world.

In the 80's there was ABC, The Human League and a whole host of other electric bands.

In the 90's there was pulp, who were much bigger than the arctic monkeys, no doubt there were other second rate acts around like the ones you mentioned as well.

its nice to see that your lack of knowledge doesn't just extend to football :laugh:

I'm old enough to seen and danced to them all. My point is none of those bands had any affection or affiliation to the football scene - other than Thompson Twins half-baked attempt at "you take me up"! All the bands I mentioned have some kind of passion and, I’m sure, if asked would jump at the chance at playing in front of the kop, which would a) get money into the club and b) galvanise a big percentage of younger (and older!) fans for one day/night at least - imagine it - big flip off Wednesday banner behind the stage - all bands on at the end giving one last rendition of "singin the blues" - priceless.

Ah flip it – can always watch the cricket.

I'm old enough to seen and danced to them all. My point is none of those bands had any affection or affiliation to the football scene - other than Thompson Twins half-baked attempt at "you take me up"! All the bands I mentioned have some kind of passion and, I’m sure, if asked would jump at the chance at playing in front of the kop, which would a) get money into the club and b) galvanise a big percentage of younger (and older!) fans for one day/night at least - imagine it - big flip off Wednesday banner behind the stage - all bands on at the end giving one last rendition of "singin the blues" - priceless.

Ah flip it – can always watch the cricket.

That would be good, if it's possible, i've though this myself in the past but no other clubs seems to have done it maybe there is a reason to that.

Typical cynical music fan gauging popularity by sales and exposure. Oasis were a good band that sold out to the London scene and Blur were the kings of PR.

Headlining Glastonbury means nothing to nobody except the middle class simpletons who actually go. I like the Arctic Monkeys but they are of such limited talent and appeal they are destined to simply fall off the musical scale.

Guest tomarkley

Typical cynical music fan gauging popularity by sales and exposure. Oasis were a good band that sold out to the London scene and Blur were the kings of PR.

Headlining Glastonbury means nothing to nobody except the middle class simpletons who actually go. I like the Arctic Monkeys but they are of such limited talent and appeal they are destined to simply fall off the musical scale.

Rubbish. They are the no.1 band in the UK at the moment and anyone who has been to the US will tell you they are MASSIVE over there.

Just because they have not been touring/in the charts the past few months, doesn't mean they won't take over again in the summer.

The Arctic Monkeys are the ones everyone wants to see. There is simply nobody with the same power to sell tickets at the moment. They could play Glastonbury on their own and I would wager with anyone they would get c.60,000 there on their own.

I bet other bands around at the moment with they had as much "limited appeal" as the Monkeys do..

I've been wondering why this idea hasn't been done for ages. It seems so obvious. I would actually do it in front of the South Stand for a number of reasons - no posts, exec boxes for the posh gits who are scared of getting dirty at gigs, larger capacity and better facilities to maximise catering revenue. Why they haven't done it or at least looked into it I have no idea!

For all those arguing about which Sheffield music scene was the biggest, you are missing the point entirely. Pulp were massive but they aren't around anymore. The Arctic Monleys are and whether you like them or not (I personally think they are distinctly average) they would sell the place out because they are very popular at the moment, especially with a lot of the young-adult football fans. Supported by the likes of Rev and the Makers and various other smaller Sheffield acts (I'd love to see Richard Hawley on the bill personally!) it would bea real party, make a lot of money for the club, spread the Wednesday word and enhance the bands images. The Kaiser Chiefs are (or did??) going to play at Elland Road aren't they? They're a terrible band imo but will sell out.

Obviously I doubt it will happen, our board are too busy with dragging our club through the dirt rather than actually doing something good! (my opinion, please report if you have a problem with it!)

*edit* and thanks for calling me a 'middle class simpleton' WiseOwl 1979. I love sweeping generalisations like that, they show how ignorant people really are!

Edited by BlueandWhiteOwl

Rubbish. They are the no.1 band in the UK at the moment and anyone who has been to the US will tell you they are MASSIVE over there.

Just because they have not been touring/in the charts the past few months, doesn't mean they won't take over again in the summer.

The Arctic Monkeys are the ones everyone wants to see. There is simply nobody with the same power to sell tickets at the moment. They could play Glastonbury on their own and I would wager with anyone they would get c.60,000 there on their own.

I bet other bands around at the moment with they had as much "limited appeal" as the Monkeys do..

Yeah, but does it actually make them good?

Its just four lads with instruments...the way the music press goes on about them they make out they re-invented the wheel.

As for limited appeal the Stone Roses manage to still sound fresh after 20 years. Music should always sound like it was made for next year.

Yeah, but does it actually make them good?

Its just four lads with instruments...the way the music press goes on about them they make out they re-invented the wheel.

As for limited appeal the Stone Roses manage to still sound fresh after 20 years. Music should always sound like it was made for next year.

ffs, that's not the point is it?!?!?!? They would sell out Hillsborough and make the club money. Having the number 1 band in the world at the moment playing in our stadium would raise our profile massively. Who cares if they're not very good? Enough people think they are and that's what counts!