Fire extinguisher incident

5 hours ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Has alcohol ever been allowed in the stands? I can’t recall people drinking during the game? 

My dad and hundreds of other fans used to have a pint while watching the match, yes it was in the 60s/70s but it didn't turn him into a raging hooligan. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Lack of appreciation for consequence to their actions? 

Could be. My personal theory is that because we made these kids world so much smaller by seeing less people, that we made them more selfish and unaware of their actions on others. 

6 hours ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Has alcohol ever been allowed in the stands? I can’t recall people drinking during the game? 

Yes, i used to work in the bar within the south stand at Hillsbrough. Had to pour all bottled drinks into plastic glasses before giving to customer, what a pain in the neck. Worked at many semi finals and even a final of the then league cup, think it was Wolves and Everton ?? not sure.

• Like 1

I’m entirely convinced we’re a much less civil society in 2024 than we were even 20 years ago.

IMO the main aggravating factors are a really toxic mix of the social media era’s ’look at me’ culture with its implied pressure to be your own ‘brand’, where it’s much easier to get people to look by acting a total w⚓ than by actually doing something good, combined with 14 years of a government being actively hostile to 80% of its own citizens through a properly heartless regime of austerity, disenfranchisement, deranged ideas of British exceptionalism, and continuous punching down.

Vast swathes of society are clearly feeling way more anxious, angry and/or invisible than they have done for generations. We’re in a right mess.

Still, why bother pushing for real change when you can get hammered, let off a fire extinguisher and have a go at people striking for fair working conditions…

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

4 hours ago, Billque said:

Yes, i used to work in the bar within the south stand at Hillsbrough. Had to pour all bottled drinks into plastic glasses before giving to customer, what a pain in the neck. Worked at many semi finals and even a final of the then league cup, think it was Wolves and Everton ?? not sure.

Thanks for that, could you drink whilst watching the game?

54 minutes ago, OneEightSixSeven said:

Yes you could drink during the game but in plastic glasses.. the disaster changed everything.

I remember the beer being served in paper cups similar to one's you get at McDonald's but with mansfield brewery on them .

10 hours ago, Sir Says said:

The impact of lockdown will be felt for over a generation. 

Those kids on the train who set off the fire extinguisher will have missed 2 years of school. That's 2 years without discipline and social interaction with peers, that's going to have a massive impact on behavior. 

I am a regular train traveler (not just football) and the number of people drinking in the morning on Saturdays is incredible now compared to pre covid.

Just wait to see what the NHS is like in a few years time when all the doctors got into medical school on teacher estimated grades!

The first port of call for discipline should be the parents not teachers. Idle parenting. My kids know the difference between right and wrong because it was drilled into them from a young age.

• Like 3

On 24/04/2024 at 22:19, @owlstalk said:

That's exactly what it is

100%. Do what you want and blame the Government or Covid (if you are in Government) or whatever excuse one can find for not acting civilly. But never ever take the responsibility for your actions. Just the politics of the present day! 

On 24/04/2024 at 22:37, Furious George said:

Kids being kids.

When you get older you frown and whatnot. Thing is it's just because you're old. 

Mods and Rockers smashing towns up in the 60s was all good fun back in the day. That was good old honest rioting. 

Some kids setting an extinguisher off on a train 60 years later and the world's gone to pot. 

It’s not just kids though is it. Some of these idiots are grown men.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mr. Tom said:

I’m entirely convinced we’re a much less civil society in 2024 than we were even 20 years ago.

IMO the main aggravating factors are a really toxic mix of the social media era’s ’look at me’ culture with its implied pressure to be your own ‘brand’, where it’s much easier to get people to look by acting a total w⚓ than by actually doing something good, combined with 14 years of a government being actively hostile to 80% of its own citizens through a properly heartless regime of austerity, disenfranchisement, deranged ideas of British exceptionalism, and continuous punching down.

Vast swathes of society are clearly feeling way more anxious, angry and/or invisible than they have done for generations. We’re in a right mess.

Still, why bother pushing for real change when you can get hammered, let off a fire extinguisher and have a go at people striking for fair working conditions…

I do think expect far to much of the state when it comes to handouts, houses etc etc...some have got used to having benefits and subsidies, possibly generational and maybe dont  know any better.

This impacts states ability to help those who need it the most.

Too many people feel entitled to everything when they have not put anything in the pot, this has a trickle down effect where they believe they are entitled to do what they like without consequences leading to selfish and anti social activities.

Entitlement should be earnt or provided to those most in need.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Jaytee said:

The first port of call for discipline should be the parents not teachers. Idle parenting. My kids know the difference between right and wrong because it was drilled into them from a young age.

Quite agree but unfortunately not every child has had the benefit of decent parenting. 

On 24/04/2024 at 22:37, Furious George said:

Kids being kids.

When you get older you frown and whatnot. Thing is it's just because you're old. 

Mods and Rockers smashing towns up in the 60s was all good fun back in the day. That was good old honest rioting. 

Some kids setting an extinguisher off on a train 60 years later and the world's gone to pot. 

this.

we did a lot worse back in the day 

doesn’t make it right because obviously it’s bang out of order but young kids do daft stuff, doesn’t mean they’re bad people. 

• Like 1