Euro 2028

2 hours ago, Django said:

Hillsborough used to be in the top 4 stadiums in the country and now it’s probably not even in the top 20. Just shows how the football world has moved on and left us a million miles behind 

Isn’t hillsborough the last ‘league’ ground to hold a cup final - about 25 years ago. Amazing to think that’s all changed now

2 hours ago, Essix Blue said:

Isn’t hillsborough the last ‘league’ ground to hold a cup final - about 25 years ago. Amazing to think that’s all changed now

Yeah Leicester v Middlesbrough. We had the FA cup semi final the same year 

14 hours ago, Django said:

Hillsborough used to be in the top 4 stadiums in the country and now it’s probably not even in the top 20. Just shows how the football world has moved on and left us a million miles behind 

Not even in top 50 at the moment. Quite A few league 1 stadiums better 

On 06/10/2023 at 04:47, jamsandwich said:

Been rebuilt over the last few years. Massive new stand and extensions / corner fills to the others. Holt end is huge 

It’s not had any work on it in over a decade. Its current capacity is 42K, so indeed only slightly bigger than Hillsborough. There are plans to extend though, but whether that’s done in time for the Euros remains to be seen. I guess they had to have one ground from the midlands and VP is the biggest and most historic. 

It mentioned on a Podcast I listen too that the pitch is too small at Anfield (I presume it means the run off areas etc) which is why it isn't chosen for marquee UEFA events. Obviously it was part of Euro 96 but a lot has changed in the last 27 years.

Old Trafford needs a lot doing to it, the Glazers have let it go to the dogs.