George Best - Why did he leave Man Utd?

Skyline

Best was before my time but we all know the name.

I have never really looked into his history, so I was surprised to see he left Man Utd when he was about 27/28 and went on to play for quite a few obscure teams. Not the kind of clubs you'd expect one of the best footballers of his generation to be playing at. 

So, why did he leave Man Utd so young....

Did he have a bad injury? Maybe fitness problems due to his problems?

A quiet lad from Belfast who went to ManU but then went home and Busby had to convince him to come back. The great Eric McMordie was his biggest pal, as I recall.

Anyway, he basically got caught up in the swinging 60s which was a time when everything was changing for "the young generation" and with a lack of support he was, like others, easy to take advantage of by agents and advisors of the time. And he never got unlatched from that.

7 hours ago, Skyline said:

Best was before my time but we all know the name.

I have never really looked into his history, so I was surprised to see he left Man Utd when he was about 27/28 and went on to play for quite a few obscure teams. Not the kind of clubs you'd expect one of the best footballers of his generation to be playing at. 

So, why did he leave Man Utd so young....

Did he have a bad injury? Maybe fitness problems due to his problems?

He retired I think, then came back but was mostly drunk or up to no good. 

3 hours ago, edmontonowl said:

He was

And on all those crappy pitches of the 60s and 70s

Indeed. Could fill stadiums throughout the land. 

I even went to watch him at the Lane when he, Marsh and Moore were playing for Fulham.

Edited by marconi

He was my first hero. He had everything 

An E type Jaguar 

Had lots of fabulous girls 

Pots of money

And of course he was a sensational with a football.

He was the first celebrity footballer , the previous generation footballers looked and acted like the great Stan Matthews.

George suffered because no-one knew how to handle the phenomenon he became. The big clubs now could help such a talent then they did not have a clue.  

He had a stand named after him at the San Jose Earthquakes... not sure if they named one after him in the new building...  I know his picture is up and around the ground though...

I always remember one game (not even sure who against) when he just couldn't stop scoring (was with Man Utd)...  Sad that he drank himself to needing a new liver and then drank that one into the ground as well.... That being said he ranks as one of my favourite players of all time.... 

1 minute ago, Whitecap Owl said:

He had a stand named after him at the San Jose Earthquakes... not sure if they named one after him in the new building...  I know his picture is up and around the ground though...

I always remember one game (not even sure who against) when he just couldn't stop scoring (was with Man Utd)...  Sad that he drank himself to needing a new liver and then drank that one into the ground as well.... That being said he ranks as one of my favourite players of all time.... 

image.png.f7640563b09b491b405078e052ba2511.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Whitecap Owl said:

8-2 win v. Northampton FA Cup? He got 6

Only saw him once and that here v. San Jose. He was fat, slow but still had it.

At one point he was on the touch-line with a defender right behind him, and in a flash he'd turned the defender and was gone. It was class.