Plastic Fans In 2022

17 hours ago, Maddogbob said:

Personally I do have an issue with it.

But it's more of a way the terms are used.

If you don't attend games, but watch on TV, you are a fan. IE you watch an epl team your are a fan of said epl team.

If you attend you are supporting the club, in a physical sense. So you are a supporter.

Now I know someone will come along and say, well I pay in via ifollow. You arnt physically there. So sorry on that basis you are a Fan. You enjoy the game, but you are in your own home and not physically supporting the team in person.

There is no issue with either.

When you start being a bellend and have 4 teams then you are plastic. That needs people being burned. For that shiz.

What if you support the club financially (buying merchandise, memberships, etc), but can't physically get to games? Surely then you are - by very definition - supporting the club, you just can't get to matches.

15 minutes ago, punkskaphil said:

What if you support the club financially (buying merchandise, memberships, etc), but can't physically get to games? Surely then you are - by very definition - supporting the club, you just can't get to matches.

Still a fan mate. Support ie physical support at games.

I'm trying to remove as much of the plastic element from the argument if that makes sense.

Everyone has a part to play. But if we change or definitions slightly. Less rubbish gets chucked about. Plus more feel included.

Edited by Maddogbob
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, R-Sole14 said:

Because of salary caps in our competitions teams struggle to sustain success over a long period, so it's not so much of an issue. Plus culturally here, fans of the other clubs would absolutely try and peg any plastic fans down.

If a news site here had their top 4 sports stories about a single club (Major scandal/achievement withstanding) they would be absolutely slated.

Like I say completely different culture and approach.

European football is very different.

27 minutes ago, Maddogbob said:

Respectfully, I think that's far too basic a way of defining a supporter from a fan.

Personally, I think that being physically there means absolutely nothing if you're not actually being supportive whilst you're there. You could turn up at every game and then only dish out abuse at the players/staff/club. Whereas someone who potentially their hard-earned money into the club as much as they can, put the club first over everything else in their lives, but happens to be unable to physically be there, is a far greater supporter, is far more beneficial to the club, and has a far greater positive effect.

I'm a plastic fan myself. I know this because someone on here told me that I was because I wasn't able to watch the Play-off semis against Huddersfield (I was in the middle of a forest in Poland at the time with no access to a TV).

38 minutes ago, punkskaphil said:

Respectfully, I think that's far too basic a way of defining a supporter from a fan.

Personally, I think that being physically there means absolutely nothing if you're not actually being supportive whilst you're there. You could turn up at every game and then only dish out abuse at the players/staff/club. Whereas someone who potentially their hard-earned money into the club as much as they can, put the club first over everything else in their lives, but happens to be unable to physically be there, is a far greater supporter, is far more beneficial to the club, and has a far greater positive effect.

I'm a plastic fan myself. I know this because someone on here told me that I was because I wasn't able to watch the Play-off semis against Huddersfield (I was in the middle of a forest in Poland at the time with no access to a TV).

I don't think you are getting it mate, so I'll leave it with you.

Other than to say if you remove certain elements and flip your thinking on it, fan/supporter there is really no difference. Both have a part to play.

Neither are a bad thing.

The really problem and those that can be labelled are those that flip flop between teams, when one does well.

Now that's an issue, yes I agree. Do I have an issue with that. Yes. 

But fans/supporters, one and the same it's just some are physically in the ground. Supporting the team, when playing.

It's the plastic fans that swear they are hard done by that annoys me.

Had a Liverpool fan tell me 'it's never easy with Liverpool' during the season when they were trying to defend their Champions League title.

Aye alright then

• Like 2

It will always P!$$ me off when I’m in a pub a footys on telly with Man City Liverpool etc playing and you get the usual groups of spotty chavs shouting off like their lives depend on it

You can tell straight away they’ve never been to a game in their lives but spout off like they’re life long fans

Cringy 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 19/08/2022 at 16:40, horny owl said:

It will always P!$$ me off when I’m in a pub a footys on telly with Man City Liverpool etc playing and you get the usual groups of spotty chavs shouting off like their lives depend on it

You can tell straight away they’ve never been to a game in their lives but spout off like they’re life long fans

Cringy 

They could just be supporting the players that have in their fantasy football teams. 

All the forest shirts have come out the loft for the furst time 25 years ffs 

The best one was the shirt I saw the other day, van hooijdonk on the back 

fecking eejit, I said how long since you wore that (knowing full well its been years since I saw him in a Forest shirt), “wore it and supported em all me life mate”... has he feck.

• Like 1

Guest oneAtkinson
On 19/08/2022 at 13:33, Maddogbob said:

I'm trying to remove as much of the plastic element from the argument if that makes sense.

Everyone has a part to play. But if we change or definitions slightly. Less rubbish gets chucked about. Plus more feel included.

Ok then.

My cousin married and emigrated @7/8 years ago. Logistically he can no longer walk down the road to the game, for a few years he lived in S6. He will randomly come over for visits and ensures it coincides with games so he gets to go again. He loves where he lives with the climate etc but hates that he can't get to Hillsborough so easily.

He has iFollow, gets up at daft times to watch, never misses a game. He even watches more than I do as iFollow is not available in the UK when circumstances dictate and i can't get to a game.

We both started going in the 70s with our Dads, hardly missed a game. Eventually it was just us travelling the length and breadth of the country to many desperate places and getting back home after miserable defeats and traffic delays.

The timing of his departure meant he's missed the "glory years" return for a bit. Still buys shirts, merchandise. Has got a few of his new mates involved in The Wednesday where he now lives.

Does your logic still say he's a fan?

6 hours ago, oneAtkinson said:

Ok then.

My cousin married and emigrated @7/8 years ago. Logistically he can no longer walk down the road to the game, for a few years he lived in S6. He will randomly come over for visits and ensures it coincides with games so he gets to go again. He loves where he lives with the climate etc but hates that he can't get to Hillsborough so easily.

He has iFollow, gets up at daft times to watch, never misses a game. He even watches more than I do as iFollow is not available in the UK when circumstances dictate and i can't get to a game.

We both started going in the 70s with our Dads, hardly missed a game. Eventually it was just us travelling the length and breadth of the country to many desperate places and getting back home after miserable defeats and traffic delays.

The timing of his departure meant he's missed the "glory years" return for a bit. Still buys shirts, merchandise. Has got a few of his new mates involved in The Wednesday where he now lives.

Does your logic still say he's a fan?

Yes. As explained still Pays into the club. Ergo fan.

I think I've explained my point quite well and debated with others. Who disagree.

Edited by Maddogbob

2 hours ago, daveyboy66 said:

Really?? Who are these then cos' I don't know anyone who does that? 

The epl ones mate, plenty of them. Remember we are a muggy 3rd division side that hasn't been in the big time for ages.

Our experience of them is limited.

On 19/08/2022 at 13:33, Maddogbob said:

How many games do you have to miss to be a fan or supporter.

for eg. If i go to 30% of games am i a supporter or fan. 

Guest oneAtkinson
3 hours ago, Maddogbob said:

Yes. As explained still Pays into the club. Ergo fan.

I think I've explained my point quite well and debated with others. Who disagree.

Probably attended far more games than you.

Your location states Ilkeston, not in spitting distance to Hillsborough so could easily say you're a glory supporter as you aren't following your local team. That  is nearer a plastic than any