Plastic Fans In 2022

5 minutes ago, oneAtkinson said:

Probably attended far more games than you.

Your location states Ilkeston, not in spitting distance to Hillsborough so could easily say you're a glory supporter as you aren't following your local team. That  is nearer a plastic than any

Used to live in Sheffield mate and Chesterfield and Ilkeston and on the gold coast and hull and Norwich.

Not that it's any of your business mate 👍.

Go where the work is pal 😜

You remind me of another poster.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, flo said:

How many games do you have to miss to be a fan or supporter.

for eg. If i go to 30% of games am i a supporter or fan. 

If you are at the game your a supporter.

I don't get why you are all obessed with labelling yourself and others. Might just be a symptom of the UK that.

Edited by Maddogbob

8 hours ago, daveyboy66 said:

Really?? Who are these then cos' I don't know anyone who does that? 

Trust me they exist 

Noticed a fair few Leicester “all me life” supporters have slowly dissapeared over the past year or so, esp now theyre in financial trouble. Leicester suddenly had massive support during and just after that season as well.

Forest fans have come out the woodwork now after years of not being noticed. Plastic does also mean fans who just stop going and giving you grief (Sheff United probably went quiet during league 1 ?) then suddenly pipe up when they start doing well aka Forest.

Dont get me wrong we had them as well in the 2013/14 season when they all thought we were going up, we started off the season with about 19k gates ended it with everyone and his dog wanting a ticket. 

My cousin and my mates brither (both suddenly Forest fans again after years of saying sod all) are all over our facebook page giving it the biggun. 

plastics 

• Like 1

Guest oneAtkinson
11 hours ago, DCFCOwls said:

Trust me they exist 

Noticed a fair few Leicester “all me life” supporters have slowly dissapeared over the past year or so, esp now theyre in financial trouble. Leicester suddenly had massive support during and just after that season as well.

Forest fans have come out the woodwork now after years of not being noticed. Plastic does also mean fans who just stop going and giving you grief (Sheff United probably went quiet during league 1 ?) then suddenly pipe up when they start doing well aka Forest.

Dont get me wrong we had them as well in the 2013/14 season when they all thought we were going up, we started off the season with about 19k gates ended it with everyone and his dog wanting a ticket. 

My cousin and my mates brither (both suddenly Forest fans again after years of saying sod all) are all over our facebook page giving it the biggun. 

plastics 

Harsh to call em plastics. Watching dirge week in week out for many a year can wear after a while.

Plastics to me is Cockneys supporting Liverpool  or Man Utd. Use to work with a lad that was solid Man Utd fan that lived nr Reading. Never went to game, had the Sharp shirt with laces, and he hated Northerners. (apart from me of course 🙂 )

Beleaguered Forest Fans coming back I have no problem with, I actually like Forest being in the Prem. If I was to pick a Premier league they'd be in it.

My sisters friends husband is a Man U  fan, got a Man U picture on the wall, watches all the games on TV, he's lived in Sheffield all his life, but he's never been to old Trafford.

Whereas I work with a lad who lives in Darlington who also supports them, he's got a season ticket and goes to all the home games.

Neither have of them have any affiliation with Utd, but support them anyway. 

The first one I would call a plastic. 

• Like 2

If you never really went to a match and then suddenly decided to rock up because your team is back in the PlL, then I'd probably say you are a fair weather fan rather than a plastic. 

Don't really have an issue with it. You always have different level of fans within a support base. 

The good thing is that clubs like Wednesday will usually avoid these absolute plastic Muppets that the top clubs attract. Lads of my generation support clubs like Man U, Liverpool etc., cause they are big clubs, won loads and it has been drilled into from a young age that their "club" is the most important and best in the world.

I honestly think some of these  younger generation of supporters follow these top clubs because it's more do with style and image. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Guest oneAtkinson said:

Harsh to call em plastics. Watching dirge week in week out for many a year can wear after a while.

Plastics to me is Cockneys supporting Liverpool  or Man Utd. Use to work with a lad that was solid Man Utd fan that lived nr Reading. Never went to game, had the Sharp shirt with laces, and he hated Northerners. (apart from me of course 🙂 )

Beleaguered Forest Fans coming back I have no problem with, I actually like Forest being in the Prem. If I was to pick a Premier league they'd be in it.

If I was to put Forest anywhere it would be the conference 

The bast@rds 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, SiJ said:

If you never really went to a match and then suddenly decided to rock up because your team is back in the PlL, then I'd probably say you are a fair weather fan rather than a plastic. 

Don't really have an issue with it. You always have different level of fans within a support base. 

The good thing is that clubs like Wednesday will usually avoid these absolute plastic Muppets that the top clubs attract. Lads of my generation support clubs like Man U, Liverpool etc., cause they are big clubs, won loads and it has been drilled into from a young age that their "club" is the most important and best in the world.

I honestly think some of these  younger generation of supporters follow these top clubs because it's more do with style and image. 

The funny thing Ive found myself going to support the club more now than I did during our promotion chasing under Mel Mad Morris. I fell out of love with the club diring his time with us, the promotion pushes felt shallow necause of him, his standing on the elland road pitch in 2019 and doing the bounce with the fans just felt artificial, awkward. I feel more of a connection with the club now than I did under that weasel. 

A part of me is glad we didnt achieve promotion under him, I always felt his running of the club and his personality was just looking for the celebrity factor.

Forest now have what we would have done under Morris in my opinion, its all about a mans ego not the love of the club and trying to achieve success.

6 hours ago, DCFCOwls said:

The funny thing Ive found myself going to support the club more now than I did during our promotion chasing under Mel Mad Morris. I fell out of love with the club diring his time with us, the promotion pushes felt shallow necause of him, his standing on the elland road pitch in 2019 and doing the bounce with the fans just felt artificial, awkward. I feel more of a connection with the club now than I did under that weasel. 

A part of me is glad we didnt achieve promotion under him, I always felt his running of the club and his personality was just looking for the celebrity factor.

Forest now have what we would have done under Morris in my opinion, its all about a mans ego not the love of the club and trying to achieve success.

Time will tell. 

I know Forest needed to recruit quite heavily in the summer because so much of their promotion team was on loan/out of contract. 

Still - I'm quite shocked at just how much they've invested this summer. It's a huge gamble, but I suppose if they stay up by the skin of their teeth then it's a worthwhile one. 

A bit like you, we had our shot a few years back and I do wonder what would have happened had we gone up in 2016 or 2017. Chansiri was spending money at that point like a drunken sailor. No doubt he would have continued in a similar vein had we gone up, and we could have ended up being saddled with even more overpaid dross/crocks than what we did end up with in the Championship (there were some very good signings too). It's taken a relegation to League One for the club to take stock and it feels like we are actually trying to go about things in a more measured and proper way. Very unlikely to happen/all hypothetical, but I'd feel a bit more assured of going into the PL with this version of Chansiri in charge than the absolute maniac we had for his first five or so years. 

On 17/08/2022 at 10:16, PeteG_1984 said:

It still bothers me. Football is about representing your city, region, country. I can’t understand how a Londoner can buy into a Manchester or Liverpool club.

However, I find that much more acceptable than people supporting clubs in other countries. Fair enough, follow a foreign club, but IMO it’s a bit childish to full on support them (if you have no connections with them)

How is it childish to support a club from another country? No connection blah blah blah. It is possible to fall in love with a foreign club without question…especially in this day and age where you can watch any game from your own home. If you visit a city enough you can easily fall for it. 

I’ve supported Roma for 25 years. Been to Rome countless times, CL games, Serie A games, Coppa Italia and even a few away games. I’d be there every week if I could. I have no personal connection to the city whatsoever but I know the history, the culture, and the meaning of being a Romanista. I understand the importance of Calcio in Rome and the rivalry that comes with it. 

If anyone is childish here it’s you, for having such an old school mindset. It’s such a generic comment from someone who really doesn’t have a clue.