Modern Football is poo

Neal M

7 hours ago, Drewswfc said:

USMNT? WTF Why not just USA Its like saying ENGLANDSMNT. Yanks get on my threpenny bits

To be fair, “MNT” was first used pre-MLS. When the women’s game was the bigger of the two in the U.S.

Helped people understand what score they were reading.

I move a lot of concrete on the QVC.

9 hours ago, Neal M said:

To be fair, “MNT” was first used pre-MLS. When the women’s game was the bigger of the two in the U.S.

Helped people understand what score they were reading.

Not bothered. They're just běłłends full stop

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

20 hours ago, Neal M said:

Vent here.

I’ll start off.  The CONCACAF OCTAGONAL.

AA27A230-4734-4F2C-A022-F86BA909272C.png.5edebe1d4f15b0a60166e94358277435.png

I despair. It’s like Alan’s World Cup guide has come to life.

0CC6F80D-EE6A-4829-9076-B6965EDBE94F.jpeg.f0e138c2039863373b26d0c62f4d5129.jpeg

CONCACAF, 3 rounds in qualification with some (5) having a bye, the 5 highest ranking in the FIFA standings. So the 1st 2 rounds are to separate the minnows and find out which 3 might swim (see what I did there 😂 ) with the big fish. But it's a long old road

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022_FIFA_World_Cup_qualification_(CONCACAF)

This 3rd round of the last 8 means 14 games for each team and we're at the half-way stage. Canada and Panama seem to have turned the tables on Honduras who are bottom of the "octagon" and Costa Rica who didn't look much last night losing 0-1 to Canada.

While the US and Mexico always seem to be favourites I'm not sure about using the bye-to-the-3rd round option is appropriate

It doesn't finish until March next year

2 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

I don't see why 3 out of that lot are allowed to qualify, whereas you have some good European sides potentially missing out. 

Because its the World Cup, not an extension of the Euros?

And England may have battered Panama in 2018 but dont forget Costa Rica  knocked out us and Italy in 2014

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, RockieOwl said:

Because its the World Cup, not an extension of the Euros?

And England may have battered Panama in 2018 but dont forget Costa Rica  knocked out us and Italy in 2014

World Cup should mean best international sides in the world for me, not a mixture of different sides across the world based on geography.

Fully agree the best central/North American sides can be good sides but think there should be another step for at least the 3rd placed team

4 hours ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

World Cup should mean best international sides in the world for me, not a mixture of different sides across the world based on geography.

Fully agree the best central/North American sides can be good sides but think there should be another step for at least the 3rd placed team

It should

But that doesn't grow the game elsewhere or expand the revenue tentacles for FIFA.

Ever since the 1984 Olympics when Peter Ueberoth made the greatest profit ever, his business model of squeezing every last penny out of every possible source, however ridiculous, has been the gold standard for event organizers in all sports.

Please note, this post is the Official Post of the 2021 "Modern Football is Poo" thread

• Like 2

1 minute ago, edmontonowl said:

It should

But that doesn't grow the game elsewhere or expand the revenue tentacles for FIFA.

Ever since the 1984 Olympics when Peter Ueberoth made the greatest profit ever, his business model of squeezing every last penny out of every possible source, however ridiculous, has been the gold standard for event organizers in all sports.

Please note, this post is the Official Post of the 2021 "Modern Football is Poo" thread

I hate when people try to 'grow the sport' regardless of sport, look at Toronto Wolfpack

2 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

I hate when people try to 'grow the sport' regardless of sport, look at Toronto Wolfpack

Seeing the Wolfpack appear on the RL scene was a bit surreal.

Over here, football has grown significantly in the last 20 years.

But it can only really grow at youth level. And now there are complaints that this is getting too expensive. In fact, there is no correlation between the success of the CDN national teams and increased participation despite all the calls that these teams are role models for kids.

We have a Pro league but that's not much better than a Sunday League effort and the geography of the country is a bit of a barrier

Any decent players go to MLS and use that as a step up to opportunities in Europe or Mexico

And incidentally, FIFA 2026 organizers did a site visit here this week as part of the venue evaluation process. Canada is offering Edmonton and Toronto. Edmonton has been great with past events but the stadium no longer has a natural grass surface which is FIFA's top priority and was something I stressed in my report to stadium management in 2007 as part of my engagement with them to evaluate stadium operations.

• Like 1

On 14/11/2021 at 01:24, edmontonowl said:

CONCACAF, 3 rounds in qualification with some (5) having a bye, the 5 highest ranking in the FIFA standings. So the 1st 2 rounds are to separate the minnows and find out which 3 might swim (see what I did there 😂 ) with the big fish. But it's a long old road

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022_FIFA_World_Cup_qualification_(CONCACAF)

This 3rd round of the last 8 means 14 games for each team and we're at the half-way stage. Canada and Panama seem to have turned the tables on Honduras who are bottom of the "octagon" and Costa Rica who didn't look much last night losing 0-1 to Canada.

While the US and Mexico always seem to be favourites I'm not sure about using the bye-to-the-3rd round option is appropriate

It doesn't finish until March next year

12B83A51-0A8D-43AC-9CD9-F1D6C99AD8B2.jpeg