2 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

It’s a weird one, he blatantly can’t be bothered and knows he’s off. It reminds me of a well paid job I once left where i knew months in advance I was going to hand the notice in. I’m sure many people would love to do a well paid job with prestige and everything that comes with it so from the outside it looks very disrespectful to play like you really don’t care. 

But when you’re in that situation and you’ve been in the job for years you become desensitised to the money and used to the perks of it and take it all for granted. Hard to switch on and try hard when you know there’s nothing really in it for you. If the fans were there it might give him a kick up the backside as he might want to save face, but given they aren’t he just strolls about not doing anything.

To be fair, even when we and he was playing well nobody would have him down as a player you'd want in a relegation scrap anyway.

Just now, Owls2k said:

Already have, you should think before you type.

welcome to the club where you're on your own. Reach's fan club.

Doubt you will find many who would want him there next season. Can really see some vital input from him mincing around on the left flank on a freezing cold night in Accrington in February. He has been a waste of space in the Championship for us and he'll be an even bigger waste of space in League 1

Just now, Glenn59 said:

welcome to the club where you're on your own. Reach's fan club.

Doubt you will find many who would want him there next season. Can really see some vital input from him mincing around on the left flank on a freezing cold night in Accrington in February. He has been a waste of space in the Championship for us and he'll be an even bigger waste of space in League 1

Posting facts mean I'm in the Adam Reach fan club, that's a bit of a warped take chief, feel free to argue against the facts I've posted. Rather than making wild (albeit slightly entertaining) assumptions, makes you look a bit silly.

You'll note I haven't mentioned his form (or lack thereof) this season.

6 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

It’s a weird one, he blatantly can’t be bothered and knows he’s off. It reminds me of a well paid job I once left where i knew months in advance I was going to hand the notice in. I’m sure many people would love to do a well paid job with prestige and everything that comes with it so from the outside it looks very disrespectful to play like you really don’t care. 

But when you’re in that situation and you’ve been in the job for years you become desensitised to the money and used to the perks of it and take it all for granted. Hard to switch on and try hard when you know there’s nothing really in it for you. If the fans were there it might give him a kick up the backside as he might want to save face, but given they aren’t he just strolls about not doing anything.

Yeah but he’s playing football, it’s not some 9-5 office job 

Guest LondonOwl313
4 minutes ago, Owls2k said:

To be fair, even when we and he was playing well nobody would have him down as a player you'd want in a relegation scrap anyway.

The lack of effort is very noticeable though and goes way beyond him just being a soft player generally. 

Just now, LondonOwl313 said:

The lack of effort is very noticeable though and goes way beyond him just being a soft player generally. 

Thank you. I’m not talking about him neshing challenges, he’s always done that, it’s a blatant lack of effort I can see with my own eyes. And it’s more blatant then his teammates 

Guest LondonOwl313
1 minute ago, FreshOwl said:

I wasn’t on about a 9-5 job though.. the job I was on about was investment banking. I’d been there a few years and just hated it for a variety of reasons but milked the money as long as I could before leaving. Many people would have killed to get in to the job and the perks that come with it but I just really wanted to leave. It’s basically the same situation  

Just now, Owls2k said:

Posting facts mean I'm in the Adam Reach fan club, that's a bit of a warped take chief, feel free to argue against the facts I've posted. Rather than making wild (albeit slightly entertaining) assumptions, makes you look a bit silly.

Well going on about his form in seasons past isn't much use. He has never been a player who could take a game by the scruff of the neck and change things, Someone like Waddle could, and he had his critics at times especially when at Newcastle. He got slated by Big Jack I think when he played at Hillsborough for them. So you're looking at players of a similar style. But Waddle could put the effort it. Sadly all Reach will be remembered for is a handful of goals. His lack of fight and desire to do what his role is is poor. Even when he has a free run, he stops and goes backwards. You get the odd decent cross, but he is totally ineffective as a winger,

Just now, LondonOwl313 said:

I wasn’t on about a 9-5 job though.. the job I was on about was investment banking. I’d been there a few years and just hated it for a variety of reasons but milked the money as long as I could before leaving. Many people would have killed to get in to the job and the perks that come with it but I just really wanted to leave. It’s basically the same situation  

Oh yeah I didn’t mean your job specifically, I was just comparing an office job, which lets be honest not many enjoy, and being a professional footballer, which millions of people would kill for. 

13 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

Agreed. He’s working up his notice effectively. As are a lot of them. It was clear today in Merson’s comments that a good bunch of them haven’t got that fire to fight tooth and nail for survival. 

7 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

The thing is that’s exactly what it is to footballers! It’s just a job. It’s all they’ve ever known and it’s not something special as we from the outside see it. 

Why do you think players move clubs? Often for more money and they’re not enjoying their job where they are. 

It’s literally no different. 

Not as good as many fans think he is. Never really rated him personally. Has his moments but like a lot of the big money signings of the DC Era, he’s another one that’s generally failed to deliver.

• Like 1

Just now, SallyCinnamon said:

The thing is that’s exactly what it is to footballers! It’s just a job. It’s all they’ve ever known and it’s not something special as we from the outside see it. 

Why do you think players move clubs? Often for more money and they’re not enjoying their job where they are. 

It’s literally no different. 

Crazy that you grow up loving the game and when you get that professional deal it’s no doubt the best moment in your life, and how it all changes 

Guest LondonOwl313
1 minute ago, FreshOwl said:

Oh yeah I didn’t mean your job specifically, I was just comparing an office job, which lets be honest not many enjoy, and being a professional footballer, which millions of people would kill for. 

Yeah I just think that he’s likely to be quite blinkered in his thinking and just wants the season to be done. He probably doesn’t appreciate what he has and how many people would love to be in his situation.

Would also say that he’s 28, 5 years ago he probably harboured ambitions to improve and push on to become a Premier League player which maybe gave him more drive. At his age now that’s probably gone and he’s already hit his ceiling as a decent championship winger on his day. So he’s probably dealing with a lack of motivation more generally, it’s quite a normal thing to experience around that age given where he is in his career. 

He might appreciate things a bit more in a few years in his thirties near the end of his career but at the moment he has personal motivation issues and the team is also rubbish so he’s not getting much of a kick from that either. That’s why he’s so lacklustre  

Just now, FreshOwl said:

Crazy that you grow up loving the game and when you get that professional deal it’s no doubt the best moment in your life, and how it all changes 

Not that it all changes. But if you train every day, play every weekend and rinse and repeat - you become desensitised to it. 

Espeically now that buzz from the crowd isn’t there. Completely unsurprising to me that players out of contract are just going through the motions. 

Just now, SallyCinnamon said:

Not that it all changes. But if you train every day, play every weekend and rinse and repeat - you become desensitised to it. 

Espeically now that buzz from the crowd isn’t there. Completely unsurprising to me that players out of contract are just going through the motions. 

Think the crowds are the biggest problem. He wouldn’t be pulling this sh*t with fans in the stadium 

14 minutes ago, Owls2k said:

entertaining assumptions? Well all a bit of harmless banter. 55 years of watching Wednesday you have to have a good sense of humour

Guest LondonOwl313
4 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

Think the crowds are the biggest problem. He wouldn’t be pulling this sh*t with fans in the stadium 

The only people that can hold him to account would be the crowd, because even if you’re a millionaire footballer it’s pretty embarrassing to be called out by 20,000 people and not many would want to put themselves through it. Or the other one would be the manager.. but all the manager can really do is not select him, and he’d probably be quite happy to sit on the bench for the last 8 games so that’s not really much of a threat