Reach has been poor all season and desperately needs to go elsewhere.

In his defence though, we've known for years that he's soft as owt, can't tackle and doesn't win headers but Monk decided to sign no left sided defenders this summer (despite our only player there leaving) so Reach has been shoehorned into playing LWB. We've known since 2017 when Carlos played him there that it just doesn't suit him at all. 

55 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Go and read the match day threads from the last dozen or so games.

It isn't scapegoating to say he is contributing less than everyone else in nearly every game when his ability suggests he could be doing so much more. 

He shouldn’t be singled out today. Did no more or no less than Rhodes, Paterson, Windass. 

1 minute ago, SallyCinnamon said:

He shouldn’t be singled out today. Did no more or no less than Rhodes, Paterson, Windass. 

He was playing on the left with defensive responsibility. We lost as a result of a goal which he got beat by a ball over his head then failed to stop the cross. This can happen to most players but the number of times Reach manages to defend well or stop a cross is minimal. 

As our best technical player Bannan demands the ball and tries to create things. It doesn't always come off for him and can be frustrating  but at least he tries. Reach by comparison is probably our next most naturally gifted player yet has been a passenger too many times lately.

5 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

By whoscored.com's algorithm, Reach was our 11th best player today.

By their reckoning, you're right that he did more than Rhodes and was on par with Paterson, but Windass was a fair bit more effective.

99487469_Screenshot2021-04-02at19_11_25.thumb.png.4350546a6a6776e84fc675b3f5584502.png

5 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

By whoscored.com's algorithm, Reach was our 11th best player today.

By their reckoning, you're right that he did more than Rhodes and was on par with Paterson, but Windass was a fair bit more effective.

99487469_Screenshot2021-04-02at19_11_25.thumb.png.4350546a6a6776e84fc675b3f5584502.png

Urgh I hate these type of stats. Windass played further forward so had more opportunity to make an impression in the final third. However on the one occasion he got in a good position he completely wasted the chance. 

11 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

He was playing on the left with defensive responsibility. We lost as a result of a goal which he got beat by a ball over his head then failed to stop the cross. This can happen to most players but the number of times Reach manages to defend well or stop a cross is minimal. 

As our best technical player Bannan demands the ball and tries to create things. It doesn't always come off for him and can be frustrating  but at least he tries. Reach by comparison is probably our next most naturally gifted player yet has been a passenger too many times lately.

Almost as if Adam Reach isn’t a defender. Who’d have thought it.

Did a decent job at left back for one season under Carlos (a handful of games) when he was surrounded by quality. But giving him defensive responsibility is pointless because he can’t defend.

Left winger or nothing. 

Edited by SallyCinnamon

18 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Almost as if Adam Reach isn’t a defender. Who’d have thought it.

Did a decent job at left back for one season under Carlos (a handful of games) when he was surrounded by quality. But giving him defensive responsibility is pointless because he can’t defend.

Left winger or nothing. 

And that goes back to my first post in this thread - in which I said I would blame Moore for continuing to pick him in a position which requires as much defensive ability as it does attacking. 

Guest LondonOwl313

It’s a weird one, he blatantly can’t be bothered and knows he’s off. It reminds me of a well paid job I once left where i knew months in advance I was going to hand the notice in. I’m sure many people would love to do a well paid job with prestige and everything that comes with it so from the outside it looks very disrespectful to play like you really don’t care. 

But when you’re in that situation and you’ve been in the job for years you become desensitised to the money and used to the perks of it and take it all for granted. Hard to switch on and try hard when you know there’s nothing really in it for you. If the fans were there it might give him a kick up the backside as he might want to save face, but given they aren’t he just strolls about not doing anything.

28 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Urgh I hate these type of stats. Windass played further forward so had more opportunity to make an impression in the final third. However on the one occasion he got in a good position he completely wasted the chance. 

Forwards generally struggle to get decent scores unless they notch a goal or an assist, especially in a game like today where our strikers were starved of decent service other than one or two moments.

Not being a forward didn't prevent Bannan, Lees, Pelupessy etc. from impacting the game more than Reach, either.

48 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

I don't think Palmer played at left-back against Norwich - we used wingbacks in that game.

I know you love a good stat, though...

In the past two seasons, when Palmer has played at left-back, we've averaged 1.62 points per game.

If we combine all of his appearances on the left in the last two seasons, either at left-back, wingback, or in midfield, we average 1.6 points per game.

I do.

But I would not take into account last season. We had Fletcher!