Blessing in disguise

On 04/03/2021 at 00:43, sheffield_dave said:

I first remember it from when we got relegated from the Prem.

13 seconds into our first Division 1 season and Pressman gets sent off. Talk about setting the tone for the next 20 years.

Is my shocking memory right for once when I say against wolves??? lol

1 hour ago, daveyboy66 said:

He didn't even get ONE match before the idiots we're out on force on here

It's utterly depressing the level of bellendery that gets shown by a few, I look at the remaining fixtures and I really don't see many if any points coming with the squad we have. But I don't think that's Moore's fault ffs.

6 hours ago, sheffield_dave said:

Is it weaker? There seem to be fewer and fewer cases of the “big” clubs going down there and coming back in reasonable time. This is Sunderlands 3rd season down there. Ipswich’s 2nd. Charlton are currently on the outside looking in at the top 6. Wigan are literally bottom of the league. Fair enough Hull are top 2 right now I guess..

United were down there for FIVE years. And I’m absolutely convinced that their success is near enough entirely down to Wilder. Attributing what they’ve done to a “rebuild” that anyone else at the club can take credit for is a reach! 

Regarding Wilder, well you're right of course.

He's the sort of manager - whether we like it or not - who comes around once in a blue moon.

The Blades might have gone up to the PL a season after getting promoted from the Third had Cootie not been butchered, and getting that lot to ninth in the PL was unbelievable.

If Moore can replicate that, then he's a good 'un.

But they were in a similar pickle to us when they went down to the Third - oldish players who'd come for a big pay-out, and it took time to get them out of their system.

Once gone, they could rebuild, and, as 2-1 Ken said the other night, "Bash" was signed by Clough.

Six years in that division for a club of United's size isn't the norm, and it usually takes up to three seasons to get out.

Moore knows that league, has done well in it, and has the ability to attract players (and hopefully some of Donny's too).

It won't be a cakewalk, you're right, but if nothing else it will teach Channers about development and the laying down of foundations.

Guest hirstysfags
On 04/03/2021 at 00:26, @owlstalk said:

I was on Twitter earlier tonight

Let's just say it's a good job that Darren Moore isn't on Twitter, or if he IS then it'\s a good job our fans haven't found him on there yet

Exactly. He's had 90 minutes, not 90 games.

There'll come a time when we'll be talking about Dazzer as the Blunts have about Wilder. Know plenty of them who were totally underwhelmed by his appointment, and took him a while to get them onside. Let's give the guy a chance.

I can see the idea of creating a clean slate.... but all you'll do is cause us to get relegated this year have no players a be not able to get anyone in and have a points deduction....... I know you mean well but no. Mr C going is the thing we need to start getting things right. New owner who knows how to run a club correctly....... only then will things start to change.  DM I hope does really well but we will just have to see what support he gets and if he is ready to kick on in his career.... hopefully he is. I only mean as in delivering success.  He's shown great work so far at other clubs but now needs to step up the next level. That would be the same where ever he was but with us he's got a lot of work to do..... he seems up for it which is great so let's hope he does and gets the chance. As long as we can see direction and improvement the signs he knows what he's doing he will get time.... he also I hope with him talking of us and not them like Monk is going to be a good man manager which is absolutely the main thing we need right now.

14 hours ago, sheffield_dave said:

Is it weaker? There seem to be fewer and fewer cases of the “big” clubs going down there and coming back in reasonable time. This is Sunderlands 3rd season down there. Ipswich’s 2nd. Charlton are currently on the outside looking in at the top 6. Wigan are literally bottom of the league. Fair enough Hull are top 2 right now I guess..

United were down there for FIVE years. And I’m absolutely convinced that their success is near enough entirely down to Wilder. Attributing what they’ve done to a “rebuild” that anyone else at the club can take credit for is a reach! 

But that kind of goes with my original point of Sunderland,ipswich and Charlton being an absolute car crash with poor leadership at the top.  They have all finished top half league 1 haven't they? Most of the time in the top 6-8.  Getting back out of the league requires a functional team with a decent manager but top half team can still easily be achieved even with this clueless chairman and chopping & changing

managers/players/philosophies 

On 04/03/2021 at 08:44, sheffield_dave said:

You are significantly more positive about our chances of adequately preparing for, adjusting and settling into life as a League One team, than I am. 

A -12 point deduction would have seen us relegated out of League One in both of our previous first seasons down there - seasons that we finished 16th and 15th in respectively. We’ve been stung by the difficulty of the division before and absolutely nothing about the club right now shows me it’s better equipped to handle it this time either. Slap a big points deduction on and we’re in real trouble, I think. 

People need to start opening themselves up to the possibility that this clubs “bottoming out” might be way, way deeper than we’ve seen before. 

I agree with you emphatically. For me, I think we are witnessing the most serious decline in the history of our club. And as many have already mentioned, our only hope to avoid the abyss is to force Chansiri out, and very very quickly.