Blessing in disguise

11 minutes ago, Orlando_Trustful said:

Fully agree. DM gets at least a year as a free hit until we can begin to start again. I wouldn't judge him until the 22/23 season. 

Turning this around could take years. 

Darren Moore won't be here by then.

You've more chance of stability inside Chernobyl.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Tommy Crawshaw said:

I remember people on here saying it was a 'blessing in disguise' when we lost in the play off final to Hull.

I've hated that phrase ever since :duntmatter:

I first remember it from when we got relegated from the Prem.

13 seconds into our first Division 1 season and Pressman gets sent off. Talk about setting the tone for the next 20 years.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Taken slightly out of context, however agree with the above sentiments.

What i’m trying to say is in our specific case in the here and now if there was any thought to try and hope we would stay up and delay the inevitable then it’s pretty much a waste of time.

No point trying to get Adam Reach to take £10k per week instead of £18k. Bin him off now...the feeling in both camps is mutual I expect, (as an example tbh I’m surprised he doesn’t already have a pre contract in place like Shaw) let’s plan and try and find a left winger who will play for £3k per week who has aspirations to earn £5k etc etc in league 1.

Blessing in disguise was probably the wrong thread title given the latest result but if there is any opportunity for DC to take his medicine this season and put measures in place to give us half a chance next season to rebuild we should be doing everything to take it.

• Love 1

3 minutes ago, Box_Man said:

Taken slightly out of context, however agree with the above sentiments.

What i’m trying to say is in our specific case in the here and now if there was any thought to try and hope we would stay up and delay the inevitable then it’s pretty much a waste of time.

No point trying to get Adam Reach to take £10k per week instead of £18k. Bin him off now...the feeling in both camps is mutual I expect, (as an example tbh I’m surprised he doesn’t already have a pre contract in place like Shaw) let’s plan and try and find a left winger who will play for £3k per week who has aspirations to earn £5k etc etc in league 1.

Blessing in disguise was probably the wrong thread title given the latest result but if there is any opportunity for DC to take his medicine this season and put measures in place to give us half a chance next season to rebuild we should be doing everything to take it.

Yeah I know what you mean

Owlstalk Shop

55 minutes ago, sheffield_dave said:

Which is why there is no “blessing in disguise” here. 

There’s nothing clever or constructive going on here. Every time Wednesday hit adversity it snowballs and the entire club irreversibly regresses. 

The way out of this is Chansiri selling up. As in, immediately. A points deduction for the League One season will see us in League Two.

Im in no doubt that as soon as we release the accounts we are going to get whacked with a 12pt deduction for breaching FFP again. And thats the reason Chansiri is with holding them as long as he can. 

1 hour ago, sheffield_dave said:

Which is why there is no “blessing in disguise” here. 

There’s nothing clever or constructive going on here. Every time Wednesday hit adversity it snowballs and the entire club irreversibly regresses. 

The way out of this is Chansiri selling up. As in, immediately. A points deduction for the League One season will see us in League Two.

A points deduction won't see us in league 2. That's being very over dramatic. Even another -12 next season will just mean a mid table mediocre finish. Look at the shambles that is Sunderland and ipswich. They are only just getting their house in order and through all of this they have still finished top half in recent campaigns.

Massive club in league 1 being run really badly does not usually equal relegation. In this division it most certainly does.

Could be egg on my face but I would bet money that we wont be in league 2 anytime soon. However,  Its ridiculous that we are even talking about league 1 to be honest.

• Like 1

Typical Wednesday that when we finally get an owner who has money he turns out to be the most clueless inept owner in the history of the game!

How on Earth can you spend the kind of money he claims to have and not only take us backwards, but to the point where we might never get back?

Edited by Utah Owl
  • Thanks 1

I understand the sentiment but my understanding is you can’t be given points deductions from two different seasons on the same one? Also, as I’ve said before, going down for us will be an unmitigated disaster, we will be in free fall, the scalp every two but team wants to take. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Utah Owl said:

Typical Wednesday that when we finally get an owner who has money he turns out to be the most clueless inept owner in the history of the game!

How on Earth can you spend the kind of money he claims to have and not only take us backwards, but to the point where we might never get back?

Paxo.png

• Like 1

6 hours ago, new zealand owl said:

A points deduction won't see us in league 2. That's being very over dramatic. Even another -12 next season will just mean a mid table mediocre finish. Look at the shambles that is Sunderland and ipswich. They are only just getting their house in order and through all of this they have still finished top half in recent campaigns.

Massive club in league 1 being run really badly does not usually equal relegation. In this division it most certainly does.

Could be egg on my face but I would bet money that we wont be in league 2 anytime soon. However,  Its ridiculous that we are even talking about league 1 to be honest.

You are significantly more positive about our chances of adequately preparing for, adjusting and settling into life as a League One team, than I am. 

A -12 point deduction would have seen us relegated out of League One in both of our previous first seasons down there - seasons that we finished 16th and 15th in respectively. We’ve been stung by the difficulty of the division before and absolutely nothing about the club right now shows me it’s better equipped to handle it this time either. Slap a big points deduction on and we’re in real trouble, I think. 

People need to start opening themselves up to the possibility that this clubs “bottoming out” might be way, way deeper than we’ve seen before. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, sheffield_dave said:

You are significantly more positive about our chances of adequately preparing for, adjusting and settling into life as a League One team, than I am. 

A -12 point deduction would have seen us relegated out of League One in both of our previous first seasons down there - seasons that we finished 16th and 15th in respectively. We’ve been stung by the difficulty of the division before and absolutely nothing about the club right now shows me it’s better equipped to handle it this time either. Slap a big points deduction on and we’re in real trouble, I think. 

People need to start opening themselves up to the possibility that this clubs “bottoming out” might be way, way deeper than we’ve seen before. 

Yep good point regarding first seasons back in league 1 but I honestly think league 1 is incredibly weaker than 10-15 years ago.  Scouting at lower levels is much more efficient, decent players are being picked off sooner and finances (especially in COVID times) give the bigger clubs an even better advantage across League 1.

You are right bottoming out could be league 2 but I'm confident it won't be for us.

23 hours ago, sheffield_dave said:

We've got Moore, which gives me hope.

The fact that he's been successfully managing at that level is a big asset.

Doncaster staying down would also help, as it would be easier for us to "acquire" their players.

If we want a reset, then it's much less difficult in the Third, and that's what the Blades did too.

I don't see us going down to the Fourth, but with the money we've spent we should be in the PL.

13 hours ago, new zealand owl said:

Yep good point regarding first seasons back in league 1 but I honestly think league 1 is incredibly weaker than 10-15 years ago.  Scouting at lower levels is much more efficient, decent players are being picked off sooner and finances (especially in COVID times) give the bigger clubs an even better advantage across League 1.

You are right bottoming out could be league 2 but I'm confident it won't be for us.

Is it weaker? There seem to be fewer and fewer cases of the “big” clubs going down there and coming back in reasonable time. This is Sunderlands 3rd season down there. Ipswich’s 2nd. Charlton are currently on the outside looking in at the top 6. Wigan are literally bottom of the league. Fair enough Hull are top 2 right now I guess..

1 hour ago, Athelwulf said:

If we want a reset, then it's much less difficult in the Third, and that's what the Blades did too.

United were down there for FIVE years. And I’m absolutely convinced that their success is near enough entirely down to Wilder. Attributing what they’ve done to a “rebuild” that anyone else at the club can take credit for is a reach!