Latest SWFC Supporters' Trust Report - Ticketing Strategy at Birmingham City

Guest Hornsby
2 minutes ago, sonofbert2 said:

The EFL found NOTHING wrong with regards to our current sponsorship deals and associated companies and neither have the HMRC.

The accounts are late, I’ll give you that much but you need to stop telling lies on a public forum because it can get people into trouble.

Independent Panel- including a judge- found Chansiri told mega porkies to EFL and auditors, despite Katrien's warning.

He then wrongly backdated a legal document.

And has incurred criminal penalties for late accounts. 

Behave Trevor.

3 minutes ago, Hornsby said:

Independent Panel- including a judge- found Chansiri told mega porkies to EFL and auditors, despite Katrien's warning.

He then wrongly backdated a legal document.

And has incurred criminal penalties for late accounts. 

Behave Trevor.

Stop telling porkies.

Also my name is Brenda.

Guest Mcguigan

So, I've had good read of the report and my conclusion is as follows.

In the last 20 years BCFC have had 14 seasons out of the top flight. There average attendance over that 13 period is 19,584. Last season it was 20,422. So an increase of 838 fans (4.1%) over their usual average.

In the same 20 years, SWFC have spent 20 seasons out of the top flight. Our average attendance over that period is 22,656. Last season it was 23,733. So an increase of 1,077 fans (4.5%) over our usual average.

Someone needs to explain to me this amazing progress BCFC have made in attracting new fans to St Andrews, cause i don't see it.

A better example would have been L***s but that probably wouldn't have had the same effect as they charge high prices like us and don't have offers. But for a comparison.

In the last 20 years LUFC have spent 16 seasons out of the top flight. Their average attendance over that period was 26,291. Last season it was 35,321. So an increase of 9030 fans (25.5%) over their usual average.

So is pricing a true factor for attracting more fans, bearing in mind our highest average for over 21 years was during DC current pricing structure, or is it more down to performances on the pitch?

1 minute ago, Mcguigan said:

In the last 20 years BCFC have had 14 seasons out of the top flight. There average attendance over that 13 period is 19,584. Last season it was 20,422. So an increase of 838 fans (4.1%) over their usual average.

In the same 20 years, SWFC have spent 20 seasons out of the top flight. Our average attendance over that period is 22,656. Last season it was 23,733. So an increase of 1,077 fans (4.5%) over our usual average.

Someone needs to explain to me this amazing progress BCFC have made in attracting new fans to St Andrews, cause i don't see it.

A better example would have been L***s but that probably wouldn't have had the same effect as they charge high prices like us and don't have offers. But for a comparison.

In the last 20 years LUFC have spent 16 seasons out of the top flight. Their average attendance over that period was 26,291. Last season it was 35,321. So an increase of 9030 fans (25.5%) over their usual average.

So is pricing a true factor for attracting more fans, bearing in mind our highest average for over 21 years was during DC current pricing structure, or is it more down to performances on the pitch?

How do you calculate growth by averaging out stats?

lol

Owlstalk Shop

Guest Hornsby
5 hours ago, sonofbert2 said:

Stop telling porkies.

Also my name is Brenda.

You mean like the £150 million sponsorship deal. 

55 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

lol

Locate the starting value and final value for a given time period in your situation. Label the starting value as V1 (first value) and label the final value as V2 (second value).

Subtract V1 from V2.

Divide the value you determined by V1 to get the total percentage change.

Divide the value you calculated by the total number of units of time change. This can be in any time unit, such as years, hours or minutes. 

Multipy the final value you calculated to determine the annual increase in percent. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

lol

I believe the methodology used by @Mcguigan is...

V = average attendance over the season (unclear whether or not cup games are included).

1 represents the first season covered by the analysis

n represents the last season covered by the analysis.

Growth % = 100 * [Vn - Sum of (V1...Vn) / n] / Sum of (V1...Vn)/n

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mcguigan said:

Lies, damn lies and statistics as someone once said.... Numbers and statistics can help tell a story. 

Your statistics help tell one story - that Birmingham's attendances over recent years have reverted to the mean - of the 20 year period you mention.

Mine suggest that over recent years the attendances have grown dramatically. 

I don't think it means that either of us are wrong, just that they are different stories. 

I say in the report that there are as many reasons for attending a football match as there are supporters. I'm probably exaggerating a little, but there are lots of reasons. The report suggests that price is only one of them, and that Birmingham have used a variety of techniques to help drive attendances up. 

Let me ask another question. If Wednesday's attendances drop post-Covid - do you think there is anything in the Birmingham model that will help drive them back up? 

Guest Mcguigan
2 minutes ago, SWFC Trust said:

Lies, damn lies and statistics as someone once said.... Numbers and statistics can help tell a story. 

Your statistics help tell one story - that Birmingham's attendances over recent years have reverted to the mean - of the 20 year period you mention.

Mine suggest that over recent years the attendances have grown dramatically. 

I don't think it means that either of us are wrong, just that they are different stories. 

I say in the report that there are as many reasons for attending a football match as there are supporters. I'm probably exaggerating a little, but there are lots of reasons. The report suggests that price is only one of them, and that Birmingham have used a variety of techniques to help drive attendances up. 

Let me ask another question. If Wednesday's attendances drop post-Covid - do you think there is anything in the Birmingham model that will help drive them back up? 

From what I'm reading on my other thread, I really don't. 

23 hours ago, King_Monkey said:

Great research but BCFC are doing no different to the majority of the EFL with the exception of SWFC.

I’m not being objective but I will pose a couple of queries on some of the proposals that is raised at every club by owners, chairman, CEO’s etc. I guarantee you that if you present these ideas to DC or Alistair you will be asked the following.

If you segment the Kop in to bands, example cheaper prices on wings in comparison to centre. How do you stop people buying the wing seats and moving in to central areas? 

if you sell tickets as a cash back scheme to junior football clubs, how do you ensure those sales made by that junior team are not made to supporters who would have attended anyway thus reducing your match day revenue?

be interested in any suggestions and I will say now that using stewards to Marshall the 1st query does not work.

I asked the Birmingham contact I have about this. There are two failsafes in the scheme. The tickets themselves identify that they are from the scheme - so can be checked at St Andrews. Secondly, they are sold through accredited providers who sign a contract saying they sell them only to members of the junior team and their families, or students with an NUS card in the case of the uni's. So, I doubt it's completely foolproof - but neither is it a complete free for all. 

2 minutes ago, Mcguigan said:

From what I'm reading on my other thread, I really don't. 

Ok, no worries, thanks for taking the time to look it all over and discuss it. Let's hope for three points at St Andrews tonight. I guess that's something we can all agree on 🙂

8 hours ago, sonofbert2 said:

The EFL found NOTHING wrong with regards to our current sponsorship deals and associated companies and neither have the HMRC.

The accounts are late, I’ll give you that much but you need to stop telling lies on a public forum because it can get people into trouble.

Take it you are happy being "sponsored" by Shell companies?