Cardiff and Birningham fans want Cook

4 minutes ago, Therealrealist said:

Good post..apart from the fact they offered it cook first..🤫🤫

Yeah for 6 months. Not much confidence in him evidently to offer him a longer contract,  And I don't believe McCarthy has accepted those terms.

4 hours ago, s29wfc said:

Mick McCarthy set to be appointed the new Cardiff manager. That's 5 championship clubs now changed their manager this season including us and none keen on Cook. Maybe he isn't the messiah people on here think he is. 

Couldn't get any messiah than it did under Tony's tutelage, that's for sure.

8 minutes ago, s29wfc said:

Yeah for 6 months. Not much confidence in him evidently to offer him a longer contract,  And I don't believe McCarthy has accepted those terms.

Next season they will want a Premier league promotion push. Which is why they didn't want Cook past 6 months, as he has no track record of it.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, s29wfc said:

It's an odd one, isn't it?

If they felt that Cook was the best man for the next 6 months, then that would suggest McCarthy was behind him in their estimations. 

So why would they then offer McCarthy a longer deal than they'd offered to Cook?

Unless McCarthy has signed on for 6 months, of course?

16 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

Next season they will want a Premier league promotion push. Which is why they didn't want Cook past 6 months, as he has no track record of it.

Wouldn't be surprised, in the near future, they appoint someone like Bellamy or Giggs. Perhaps that their long term thinking? Someone experience to stabilise them until they go with a less experienced coach? 

Someone like McCarthy, seems a sensible appointment like a Warnock or Bruce but then I thought the same about Pulis. 🙈

On the other hand, someone like Cook, could eventually prove himself at this level or above, once given the opportunity or chance like Wilder. Plenty of coaches, British and foreign have adapted to this level over the years, without prior experience of it or without a track record of it. It's tricky to get it right, whether you go for experience or not, British or foreign, proven or not, etc. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WhiteOwl91 said:

I just cannot stomach that. 

The respect Lampard will command from their players is absolutely incomparable to if Paul Cook walked in their dressing room ffs. 

Lampard is an absolute student of the game at the highest level. Yes, young in management terms and will make mistakes, but don't tell me Cook would likely do better for Chelsea than Frank Lampard. 

Having managed Sligo, Accrington, Wigan, Chesterfield and Portsmouth, you honestly think if he rocked up to manage Tiago Silva and co at Chelsea, that'd work out?

We're talking about two different things.

It isn't all about respect - Bobby Charlton was hugely respected but it didn't make him a successful manager.

Cooke has probably forgotten more about management than Lampard yet knows.

You're talking about status in the game, rather than ability/experience.

Your argument can be spun on its head.

How would Lampard do at Sligo, Accrington, Wigan, Chesterfield and Portsmouth?

Lampard is in charge of one of the most talented squads in British football; how would he fare managing a team which isn't good enough to be in its division?

1 hour ago, pazowl55 said:

Lampard got the job purely because he is a legend at the club and knows it inside out. Cook would struggle to get a job at a top end championship club let alone Chelsea.

No, I agree that Cook wouldn't be offered the job at Chelsea because he isn't a "name".

Evidently being a club legend doesn't seem to be working.

1 hour ago, Athelwulf said:

We're talking about two different things.

It isn't all about respect - Bobby Charlton was hugely respected but it didn't make him a successful manager.

Cooke has probably forgotten more about management than Lampard yet knows.

You're talking about status in the game, rather than ability/experience.

Your argument can be spun on its head.

How would Lampard do at Sligo, Accrington, Wigan, Chesterfield and Portsmouth?

Lampard is in charge of one of the most talented squads in British football; how would he fare managing a team which isn't good enough to be in its division?

No no no. I’m not having you spin this round.

You essentially said Cook would do a better job at Chelsea than Lampard. And that in my opinion is outrageous, because cook doesn’t have the standing in the game to get the respect of players at world class level (ffs)

Paul cook is better qualified at managing a lower league club, as he’s proven? yes I agree with that too? 

But when you talk about a better manager, for me that’s about managing at the top of the game (Chelsea’s level) which you either get by an extensive managerial career or by status as a former player, and Cook is nowhere near that. 

On 22/01/2021 at 15:55, s29wfc said:

Looks like McCarthy did accept on those terms after all, then.

Cook was clearly not happy to sign such a short-term contract.