The Pitch

2 minutes ago, Salmonbones said:

I won't lie, I don't know the state of the pitch.

Is it as bad as a few are suggesting?

I saw one pitch that had some kind of blight today on sky - I don't imagine that is something that spreads between pitches!!! 

It’s not great mate, especially for a desso pitch. You’d be disappointed if it was fully natural grass. Compare it to say Bristol city’s pitch and its way worse. They also have rugby on it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, GLOwl said:

It’s not great mate, especially for a desso pitch. You’d be disappointed if it was fully natural grass. Compare it to say Bristol city’s pitch and its way worse. They also have rugby on it.

The problem with a Desso is you can't just reseed it.    It is then essentially not a desso.   

So if any of the grass has died off, it's going to need a full job or we acknowledge that it's just going to be a "normal" pitch in the portions that have died off or suffered.    The bits that need reseeding are then non  desso, and the rest still is.

Edited by Salmonbones

My son commented on how bad the pitch looked today and he never notices anything!

I did show him videos of the pitches of yesteryear when actual mud was the playing surface for pretty much the whole final third of the season. He literally couldn’t believe his eyes!

56 minutes ago, huddyowl said:

Desso pitches do not needed to be relayed every year I have been an agronsmist for 30 years working on sports pitches and golf courses the current weather and Wear and tear over the last few months does not help 

Games are coming thick and fast so not much time for maintenance?

28 minutes ago, Salmonbones said:

I won't lie, I don't know the state of the pitch.

Is it as bad as a few are suggesting?

I saw one pitch that had some kind of blight today on sky - I don't imagine that is something that spreads between pitches!!! 

Was mentioned on SSN that Swansea's pitch was like a beach in parts.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Salmonbones said:

The problem with a Desso is you can't just reseed it.    It is then essentially not a desso.   

So if any of the grass has died off, it's going to need a full job or we acknowledge that it's just going to be a "normal" pitch in the portions that have died off or suffered.    The bits that need reseeding are then non  desso, and the rest still is.

A desso is always a desso? What makes it a desso are the vertical plastic fibres. Overseeding isn’t a problem.

What ever the reason is....

The weather cannot be blamed as it doesn’t only rain Sheffield, look at the Newcastle pitch now, pristine! 

Something isn’t right, and is it linked to no wages? As in, we have no money, and had to cut the cloth accordingly?!?!

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, GLOwl said:

A desso is always a desso? What makes it a desso are the vertical plastic fibres. Overseeding isn’t a problem.

So when you seed a desso it's a mix of natural and fake threads.

You cannot mix this after the fact.    Once a Desso dies, you can only seed it, you cannot re-seed in the same way as it was initially layed because the natural roots will not then be interacting with the fake false grass which admittedly only is a small proportion of the grass - but it's still very important to how the Desso works.

5 minutes ago, Salmonbones said:

So when you seed a desso it's a mix of natural and fake threads.

You cannot mix this after the fact.    Once a Desso dies, you can only seed it, you cannot re-seed in the same way as it was initially layed because the natural roots will not then be interacting with the fake false grass which admittedly only is a small proportion of the grass - but it's still very important to how the Desso works.

The plastic fibres will still be there once the natural grass thins or dies. Overseefing with natural seed will still let the natural grass roots bind with the plastic fibres.