The Pitch

6 minutes ago, mark77 said:

Wasn't re-laid over the summer (due to lack of time).

The pitch is now well over a year old.

Do desso pitches get relaid every summer? I thought they were just over seeded otherwise the plastic desso fibres would get damaged?

Either ways, the pitch is shocking, ball bobbling all over the place. Needs a light roll and more pitch lamps.

1 minute ago, huddyowl said:

Desso pitches do not needed to be relayed every year I have been an agronsmist for 30 years working on sports pitches and golf courses the current weather and Wear and tear over the last few months does not help 

Do you think there's a reason for players slipping so much on this surface. It's been like this for almost a year now.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, huddyowl said:

Desso pitches do not needed to be relayed every year I have been an agronsmist for 30 years working on sports pitches and golf courses the current weather and Wear and tear over the last few months does not help 

Bet you nearly soiled yourself when you saw state of the pitch...

• Haha 4

5 minutes ago, huddyowl said:

I get the wear and tear, but what about the weather hasn't helped? It's seemed fairly average. Just interested.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, huddyowl said:

Most other pitches are in a far better state than ours. Just watching the Everton v Arsenal game and I can’t see a single bit of mud. It looks pristine.

We’re doing something wrong, either training on it too much or something wrong with the structure of it. All the slipping is from the top surface being unstable and that is further backed up by the bits of turf that get kicked up a lot of times during a game.

Hillsborough pitch to me looks like the grass as been cut  a little to short not much grip and thinning in certain areas it's down to ground staff allot of pitches in pram raise the hight a little and water before the match and half time to speed the surface up as you will have seen

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, huddyowl said:

Hillsborough pitch to me looks like the grass as been cut  a little to short not much grip and thinning in certain areas it's down to ground staff allot of pitches in pram raise the hight a little and water before the match and half time to speed the surface up as you will have seen

I think it looks short because of the thinning that you mention. That could be easily remedied in the next 10 days with pre germinated seed, germination sheets and watering and feeding and cutting. It’s really not that hard.

5 minutes ago, huddyowl said:

It would be interesting to know how much they are using the artificial lights this is great for winter warmth and rootzone growth winter fertilisers can be applied more often

The lights aren’t for warmth, just the right light for growing. It has been mild for a week now though so that should have helped.