Westwood out for two weeks

The ONLY person who can shut the critics up and prove he's the best keeper is Keiren Westwood 

How?

By not making blunders and gaffes

AND

By not getting injured

So far this season:

2 Games

1 Blunder (costing us three points)

1 Injury

Anything and everything else including MY opinion and everyone elses is irrelevant

Owlstalk Shop

1 minute ago, cowl said:

Why are many fans keen to see Westwood given the chance to regain his form?

Because all our current keepers have been making mistakes when called upon for 2 years now. There is no obvious alternative. 

100%

But all that shows is that we need to lose the three keepers we had and get two more in to replace them.

Anything else will just bring errors, blunders, goals against us and continued arguments on who's the least worst keeper at the club.

Westwood is certainly not the answer - not by a long way

And the wages we pay him to be injured could pay for two top quality replacement goalkeepers

Owlstalk Shop

It is clear Westwood has an issue on timing coming off his line which has been there for a while.  It is silly to ignore it.  I don't think any more or any less of Westwood for it, it is simply a feature of his game which is there now and either it is there permanently and we accept it and still play him, or we work to remove it as a problem. 

JVA same issue - he has always had a problem with defensive footwork.  I dont hate him for it, I wont boo him for it.  We either play him knowing that, we dont play him knowing that, or we train it out of him. 

There isnt much point blaming Westwood for goals that have come from bad timing coming off his line, nor JVA for goals that have come from him driving from the wrong foot or too slowly.  Its in their game right now and you play the players knowing that.

You can look at all of these things quite coldly without getting wound up either way about them.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

The ONLY person who can shut the critics up and prove he's the best keeper is Keiren Westwood 

How?

By not making blunders and gaffes

AND

By not getting injured

So far this season:

2 Games

1 Blunder (costing us three points)

1 Injury

Anything and everything else including MY opinion and everyone elses is irrelevant

You must be as keen as the rest of us to see him back in nets then as soon as possible?

4 minutes ago, cowl said:

You must be as keen as the rest of us to see him back in nets then as soon as possible?

I'm keen to get rid so we can get two better, more reliable, more available and fit to play, and less troublesome goalkeepers in

That's what I'm keen for

The sooner the better too because personally speaking I simply cannot cope with people now posting that Im making it up that Westwood makes repeated errors, and is injured all the time, and even worse trying to suggest that to me when he's just made a blunder that cost us three points (again), and whilst he's injured (again)

lol

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop

100%

But all that shows is that we need to lose the three keepers we had and get two more in to replace them.

Anything else will just bring errors, blunders, goals against us and continued arguments on who's the least worst keeper at the club.

Westwood is certainly not the answer - not by a long way

And the wages we pay him to be injured could pay for two top quality replacement goalkeepers

We're just fans though. There's only any interest in Westwood because we don't actually have any other keeper who has shown anything like the ability he would once consistently show.

The moment we have a keeper that can do this, is the moment Westwood will be forgotten. Simple as that really. This isn't about loyalty or pining for the past, it's about the fact we don't have a goalkeeper whose form and consistency is worth points on the board.

8 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

Left right and centre, what on earth are you on about 😂

Slipped against Preston for 1 goal, and injured on Wednesday. 

Pulis and others have suggested he’s on of the best in the league, I reckon they know a tad more than you 

You play your best players. De Gea and Alison have both fumbled on occasion for United and Liverpool, have they been dropped? 

To be fair to them Westwood WAS the best in the league but that is history. He's not played for a year so they have no way of knowing how good he is now. Even traing won't tell them that as they've only seen him over the last couple of weeks.

I don't read too much into last weeks error, he's rusty and will need time to get match fit. I hope he is still the best keeper in the league, he should be he's not that old in keeper terms. 

I'm on the fence with Westwood at present, I'll not rush to judge him byt he needs to prove he's still got it.

Wildsmith is competent but no world beater.

11 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

Again, he is widely regarded as one of the best in the league. 

If people really truly believed that - why didn't they buy him when he was banished?

They had a full year to snap him up

But strangely they haven't?

Doesn't that tell you something?

Surely it does?

Surely?

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop

Yep and in that time he's cost us three points, lost us a game, and gone off injured in the other one

He cost us one point, not three. He can't be blamed for what we can't do at the other end of the pitch.

• Like 1

Just now, @owlstalk said:

If people really truly believed that - why didn't they buy him when he was banished?

Surely it does?

Surely?

Yes, his wages are far too high.

1 hour ago, Dutch McLovin said:

Were not gonna get rid in Jan when he's out of contact at the end of the year. We have much bigger problems than keeper.

At the end of the year yes i agree get 2 or all 3 of the keepers out and get a new number 1 in. In January lets get some creative players and goalscorers in.

Really, he did lose us the game against Preston. Dawson would have been crucified for that. He is now gaffe prone, we need to stop living off what players used to be like.

6 minutes ago, cowl said:

We're just fans though. There's only any interest in Westwood because we don't actually have any other keeper who has shown anything like the ability he would once consistently show.

The moment we have a keeper that can do this, is the moment Westwood will be forgotten. Simple as that really. This isn't about loyalty or pining for the past, it's about the fact we don't have a goalkeeper whose form and consistency is worth points on the board.

I agree with your point about once another keeper comes in who's able that it will all die down

But I completely disagree with your point about loyalty. We've got people (not yourself) now trying to suggest to me that he doesn't repeatedly make blunders, or that he's not repeatedly injured.

Basically totally and completely disregarding the truth, what everyone has seen with their own eyes, and what we all know to be true

That's like knocking on everyone's front door, holding out a wooden spoon and saying 'this is a fork this is.. look... it's a fork'

That's purely down to loyalty and clinging desperately onto the past and still believing that Westwood is now what he was back then when Carlos was here.

Westwood isn't that person anymore.

The facts, the stats, the performances, the injuries, the blunders, the errors all show this - time and time and time again

It's time people stopped with the nonsense now and accepted it

Because we can all see what Westwood is really like now

It's such a sad end to his time with us but it really really does need to be the end of his time with us now.

Let's move him on, ship him out, save his wages, bring in two capable, fit, reliable, less troublesome goalkeepers and STILL have change to spare

Owlstalk Shop

Surely it does?

Surely?

His wages are high and Westwood will know that his next contract won't be as lucrative as the one he's currently on, so he'd be looking for a contract that at least matches his current one and be short term, or he'd rather wait it out at Wednesday and see what happens.

3 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Surely it does?

Surely?

Wages, lack of game time. Dunno really but it’s a good point 

I can admit he’s not the same of 2-3 years ago, but he’s still up there IMO. 

Look at who we’ve signed so far, can you honestly see us bringing in someone better than Westwood 

Just now, cowl said:

His wages are high and Westwood will know that his next contract won't be as lucrative as the one he's currently on, so he'd be looking for a contract that at least matches his current one and be short term, or he'd rather wait it out at Wednesday and see what happens.

He's the best goalkeeper in the Championship apparently

If that's the case and if there was no issue around his personality/temperament/fitness clubs would snap him up in a heart beat

e.g the clubs who have come down with parachute payments that everyone keeps crying about

Sorry but I'm not having it that a player supposedly 'the best in the championship' could be out of competitive football for a full year and not get snapped up.

Imagine if that was the best striker in the Championship? 

Or the best creative midfielder?

Or the best centre half?

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop

2 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

I can admit he’s not the same of 2-3 years ago, but he’s still up there IMO.  

This is where I (without wanting to argue or cause offence) challenge this statement.

What have you seen in the last year (the last full calendar year) to suggest that he's 'still up there'?

Owlstalk Shop

5 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

I agree with your point about once another keeper comes in who's able that it will all die down

But I completely disagree with your point about loyalty. We've got people (not yourself) now trying to suggest to me that he doesn't repeatedly make blunders, or that he's not repeatedly injured.

Basically totally and completely disregarding the truth, what everyone has seen with their own eyes, and what we all know to be true

That's like knocking on everyone's front door, holding out a wooden spoon and saying 'this is a fork this is.. look... it's a fork'

That's purely down to loyalty and clinging desperately onto the past and still believing that Westwood is now what he was back then when Carlos was here.

Westwood isn't that person anymore.

The facts, the stats, the performances, the injuries, the blunders, the errors all show this - time and time and time again

It's time people stopped with the nonsense now and accepted it

Because we can all see what Westwood is really like now

It's such a sad end to his time with us but it really really does need to be the end of his time with us now.

Let's move him on, ship him out, save his wages, bring in two capable, fit, reliable, less troublesome goalkeepers and STILL have change to spare

To be it is a more nuanced issue.

There are two question to be resolved:

1.  Can Westwood overcome this injury and get to a level of fitness that means he can play as a number 1 for the rest of the season without 'wear and tear' type injuries that younger goalies rarely get.

2.  Can the clear issues he has , which he has had for perhaps 18 months, of timing coming off his line, be resolved on the training pitch in time to make a difference this season.

The answer to both must be yes if he is to return to the first team.  Pulis recalled him without having answered either with a yes.

• Like 3