The difference between being a success and a failure as Sheffield Wednesday manager

I’m sure I’ll get the true fans who can’t have a bad word said about the club on my case here but imagine if we’d have got bielsa in as manager when Carlos was fired. The fan base would have absolutely Worshipped him. Imagine the atmosphere at home games knowing that no matter what happened we were going to go for it 100%. 

Instead we got Jos.....

Edited by northeastowl
  • Like 1

Just now, northeastowl said:

I’m sure I’ll get the true fans who can’t have a bad word said about the club on my case here but imagine if we’d have got bielsa in as manager when Carlos was fired. The fan base would have absolutely Worshipped him. Imagine the atmosphere at home games knowing that no matter what happened we were going to go for it 100%. 

Instead we got Jos.....

Good point

That really would have been progression and I'm sure we'd have flourished

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop

been a striker ,from aged 15 to 56 , the only complexities i found was to be in the box when the ball is delivered and put it away if i could , no scientific data to tell me that , football is that simple  you stop them at one  end and you score at the other , meanwhile the coaches try to fill your head with this that and the other and when you cross the white line it all goes out the window and you do what you do best ,well unless you play for us lol 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, 0742 said:

Again i don't believe i am, because once again you state it is a very simple game which is over complicated by.... experts! 

It's not a simple game anymore, it never will be again and you can't just cut out analysis and technology 😆

Football is a very simple game. Just take your coaching badges or even watch “ How Pep sees football differently” or  “ what is gehenpressing” on YouTube. The millions spent on analysts is about data gathering on your own and opposition players but little to do with tactics or set up. Often this data will merely reinforce what you already believe to be true. An example would be that an opposition winger makes an average 15 dribbles per game and cuts inside on his left foot 72.4% of the time. The resulting tactic would be keep an eye on their winger and show him outside. The technique of defending one v one hasn't changed since the late 70’s.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

It's very simple

If you play attacking football and really go for it you succeed

If you set out to try and nick a sneaky 1-0 win you ALWAYS fail

If you start succeeding, scoring goals and winning games and then change your system to try and nick sneaky 1-0 wins you will fail

Managers who stick to attacking football at Sheffield Wednesday succeed

Managers who play any kind of defensive sneaky 1-0 win tactics don't just fail, but they alienate/bore the fanbase and that's never a good thing

idiotic post

3 hours ago, LondonOwl313 said:

We’d finish bottom because modern day players are much fitter and the game is much quicker. If we tried to even things up by being dirty and crunching the opposition VAR would have a field day

I don't think the fitness gap is near as large as people make it out to be, and we used to frequently put teams under the cosh deep into the 90 minutes.

13 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

What I always wonder is if you're a striker or attacking midfielder or a winger and the boss walks in and says 'right lads, I want you all to defend, track back, tackle, chase your opponent down and then hopefully we can nick a cheeky goal and scrape a 1-0 win' it would just shatter every hope and dream you got into playing football for.

The goals, the excitement, the shots, the dribbling and beating your man etc

My heart would sink if I were them

And if I was a pro I'd be off to the team that plays attacking style instead

Good to see you’ve finally come to your senses and want monk out