Controversial Opinion?

@owlstalk

Tbf, there is a real lack of proper quality in the CB positions right now, so yes, Maguire should probably be in the England squad. 

What he shouldn't be doing right now is starting. 

Firstly, he is in horrific form and it's only getting worse. 

Secondly, the bloke looks mentally gone right now. 

If England and Man U have any sense, they'll take him out of the firing line. 

• Like 1

I’ve never rated him. He had a decent World Cup when we made it to the semis but other than that I really scratch my head as to how he’s ended up where he is.

I agree about English centre-backs. We used to have an array of them but we’re really struggling now. Obviously my coaching abilities are zero but I do wonder if there’s an obsession about distribution and “playing from the back” which has neglected the basics.

Yes, it’s great if a central defender can play from the back but their primary job is to prevent the opposition having goal scoring opportunities.

It might even be a wider issue as there aren’t many truly great centre-backs globally at the mo. VVD springs to mind as well as Ramos (who is getting on a bit now) but other than them, there doesn’t seem to be many world class CBs. You’d have said Varane a couple of years ago but he seems to have gone backwards since winning the World Cup.

Good enough for the squad. 

Pretty sure Southgate said he’d pick players in form. That’s a bit of an issue. 

Not sure he’s the leader people (Man U)  make him out to be either. No disrespect to him. 

Edited by Kopparberg
Reminds me of John Stones actually... not as good as was made out.