Goalkeeper

1 hour ago, fudge27 said:

Dawson did alright today, couple of good claims under high balls and seemed to be talking a bit more. Distribution still slow but at least he's working on his weaknesses not shying away 

and you wanted him to distribute it quickly to who exactly?

There were a number of occasions where he looked to do so only to see no options.

3 hours ago, toooldforthis said:

I’m not a Dawson fan but he does look as though there were some improvements with his new coach. Calmer for a start.

We’re lucky to have 2 good keepers whoever starts.l

both young keepers who will only get better with experience.

Personally think Dawson is the better and will be our No1 for a long time.

• Like 1

Well according to the squad numbers we don’t actually have a number 1... Please someone come and clarify what the hell as happened with Westwood... Is he injured is he not? Does he refuse to play? Dawson and Wildsmith clearly not better than him but maybe his best days are behind him now

35 minutes ago, Ian said:

and you wanted him to distribute it quickly to who exactly?

There were a number of occasions where he looked to do so only to see no options.

Which he does every game. The look around and none release then a long punt for reach to compete against 2 centre half's for a header. 

Guest Kagoshimaowl
16 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Maybe so but it's WAYYYYYYYYY more interesting than reading someone post 'Yawn'

Really? Think that post is the most Ian has ever contributed!!

6 minutes ago, Ian said:

So you don’t think we as a team need to work on giving the keeper options?

Yes, do you not think equally as a team if your keeper very very rarely gives quick release counter distribution that you stop busting your arse to make those options? 

6 minutes ago, Ian said:

Chicken and egg I suppose

Yea, and it's something that needs to come from Monk, and Flahavan, but when Dawson first got in the team and even still if you watch he does have options and very very rarely distributes quickly. 

I personally think there's a good GK in him, but that and his command of his area and defence are the areas he needs to bring up to take his game to the next level 

I don’t understand the level of stick and lack of tolerance people have towards them both. Before our eyes, they have stepped up from apprentices to Championship level keepers - incredible! Yes, they have made mistakes, all junior players do, but obviously when you are a keeper, they really hurt you. Both improve every game, although we all agree they have room for more improvement. 

I for one believe that both of them can make the grade and higher. At this point, it is a cigarette paper between them, with Dawson just edging it. Both of them know they could be dropped if their levels slip, perfect peer rivalry for one shirt. They have a new, enthusiastic coach and a manager that believes in them, breeding confidence. Yes it was a division 4 side, but Dawson was immaculate in everything he did yesterday, including dealing with one or two shaky back passes.

Judge them on what they do now, not what has gone before. In the words of our favourite advert, I think they will do us proud this season.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, wellbeaten-the-owl said:

both young keepers who will only get better with experience.

Personally think Dawson is the better and will be our No1 for a long time.

I think Wildsmith is better because he thinks like a footballer and is quite capable of playing out in defence and he’s just as good at that too. Skills the modern game demands.

Whats important is what Monk thinks...they’re both pretty good ex England youth keepers.

• Love 1