Matthew Penney

5 minutes ago, Millhouses said:

I may have missed summat but why isn't Penney in the squad now?

Loan players who come back from a league where the season completed can't play for the parent club this season. Or summat.

we havnt seen penney for 18 months and yet  some can say he's not good enough  to play down the left ........i dont know if he is or not but you'd think after a season playing in a decent standard over in germany that he would have improved since we last saw him ......... 

• Like 4

When he first came into the team up at Sunderland he looked head and shoulders above the other youngsters who were given a game. Going forward he looked very slick on the ball and a good athlete. The switch to LW probably set him back as he didn’t have the benefit of losing a marker on the overlap but it shows what jos thought of his potential. Defensively we looked a lot more solid with Fox but if we have 3 CBs then it may not matter. Looking forward to having him back. His delivery is probably more consistent than Harris’ but Harris is much more likely to get away from his defender in the first place.

• Like 1

Penney got all the atribute you want from your full back, wing back. It will be interesting to see him play under different manager than Luhukay. 

Monk brought the best out of Fox and I feel he Will do the same for Penney. 

12 hours ago, Bluesteel said:

When he first came into the team up at Sunderland he looked head and shoulders above the other youngsters who were given a game. Going forward he looked very slick on the ball and a good athlete. The switch to LW probably set him back as he didn’t have the benefit of losing a marker on the overlap but it shows what jos thought of his potential. Defensively we looked a lot more solid with Fox but if we have 3 CBs then it may not matter. Looking forward to having him back. His delivery is probably more consistent than Harris’ but Harris is much more likely to get away from his defender in the first place.

I think the story for Penney would have been much different if Jos had kept him at left back. Having played plenty of games at LW and LB I personally reckon the LB would be much easier for Penney to settle into first team football. Essentially the whole game is in front of you as a full back, but in midfield he’d have been far more unsure of his positioning and whether he should be constantly tracking back.

Personally I think it would be sad if he doesn’t get a run of games at LB next season because there’s definitely some real talent and flair in Penney. Also his experience in Germany should only have done him good. 

I love the optimism in this thread, but I'm going to have to come in and throw cold water on it (or at least have some trepidation).

I just looked up on soccerway, and Matt actually ended up having fewer minutes on the pitch in his whole-season loan at St Pauli than he did in his break through season last year for Wednesday. He's also 22. If it's going to happen for him, it has to be next season. I hope the Germany experience has given him the confidence and some match-wise savviness and he can start realising his potential. 

He deserves his shot as first-choice LB/LWB here. Let's hope he can take it 

Edited by StudentOwl
  • Like 1