Matthew Penney

Never mind Matt Penney - looking at our current squad, I reckon if I play my cards right, next year I could be a first team player.

:duntmatter:

Seriously though, if he's going to make it with Wednesday, this is his time. We have no other recognised senior left-backs in the squad now that Fox has left.

Harris has done a very good job as a LWB in recent weeks, but I'm not sure that's his best position in the long-term, and both Palmer and Odubajo seem better suited to the right.

Hopefully his time in Germany has done him the world of good and he's ready to come back and grasp his opportunity.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, TheCityIsOurs said:

The question is next year could he be a first team player? The LWB role might suit him perfectly as he used to be a winger for the u23’s so has that attacking ability and played decent at LB under jos in a bad team

I thought he'd played as an attacking lb in the under 18/23 or as a winger. 

I know when jos gave him some game time he played well at lb, but looked a bit lost as a winger. 

Therefore I agree with you, the lad Hughes looks a good prospect on the right too, started at fullback when he came from man city's juniors, then has moved further forward as more of a winger. Add the lad that's come in this season and done OK on a few occasions and the wingback slots could become the way forward. 

8 minutes ago, shezzas left peg said:

I thought he'd played as an attacking lb in the under 18/23 or as a winger. 

I know when jos gave him some game time he played well at lb, but looked a bit lost as a winger. 

Therefore I agree with you, the lad Hughes looks a good prospect on the right too, started at fullback when he came from man city's juniors, then has moved further forward as more of a winger. Add the lad that's come in this season and done OK on a few occasions and the wingback slots could become the way forward. 

We’ve got some really promising youngsters that can come through next year, the likes of hunt, Penney, urhoghide, dele-bashiru(if we get him), Brennan, Hughes, Shaw, even da Cruz if we can get him on cheap cus he’s still only 23 and with a good attacking coach like beatie he could become something good

Guest mrbluesky

Pains me to say it, but not quite good enough, league 1 player, fans are so desperate for a home grown talent ( me included) ,that it clouds our judgement. 

4 minutes ago, TheCityIsOurs said:

We’ve got some really promising youngsters that can come through next year, the likes of hunt, Penney, urhoghide, dele-bashiru(if we get him), Brennan, Hughes, Shaw, even da Cruz if we can get him on cheap cus he’s still only 23 and with a good attacking coach like beatie he could become something good

I'd love to see us with plenty of youth, energy and enthusiasm next year, it just needs tempering with experience, but it needs some real determined characters ful of leadership to make that work. 

You won't win anything with a team of kids, but 4/5 younger players mixed in with some older pros' with the right attitude works. 

Best example being that man utd side with Beckham and Co in it. 

Solid platform at the back with staunch old pros like Bruce, pallister, irwin, shmiecheal in goal with the younger ones in midfield and up top. 

2 minutes ago, shezzas left peg said:

I'd love to see us with plenty of youth, energy and enthusiasm next year, it just needs tempering with experience, but it needs some real determined characters ful of leadership to make that work. 

You won't win anything with a team of kids, but 4/5 younger players mixed in with some older pros' with the right attitude works. 

Best example being that man utd side with Beckham and Co in it. 

Solid platform at the back with staunch old pros like Bruce, pallister, irwin, shmiecheal in goal with the younger ones in midfield and up top. 

Bannan and Kieran Lee could turn Hunt Into a top top player

If our options for LWB next season are Harris and Penney then we may be in bother. I’d say Penney would be good back-up but neither should be considered first choice for the position. It’s not just a role you can throw someone into.

Edited by Swiss Toni

1 minute ago, TheCityIsOurs said:

Bannan and Kieran Lee could turn Hunt Into a top top player

Lee I'll agree with bannan is maybe a double edged sword. Depends on the players attitude. 

Players like reach and fox visibly wilted and made more mistakes when bazza was constantly throwing strops and blaming them for everything shouting and carrying on with them. 

It needs the right sort of leadership and I'm not sure bazza has that. 

I'd take loovens back as a coach if he's available now. The difference between the organisation of the back four or five as it is now is glaring. (note I said as a coach) lol

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Swiss Toni said:

If our options for LWB next season are Harris and Penney then we may be in bother. I’d say Penney would be good back-up but neither should be considered first choice for the position. It’s not just a role you can throw someone into.

Harris had been thrown into it and not done to bad.

32 minutes ago, HillsboroughOwlNI said:

“Matthew“?

Are you his mum? :ph34r:

She has been known to log on here! 

When I used to watch the academy teams she would be at every game and would always have a chat - really nice woman who has carried on working as a nurse through the lockdown.

I was chuffed when he made his debut having seen him come through the ranks - I think he'll be a more than useful player at this level once he's filled out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1