Monk / Out of contract players

Just now, billyblack said:

Why FF, hes has done nothing for 2 years. I dobt understand the clamour to keep him here

A lot of players haven't done anything for 2 years.

If we get rid of him we'd need three strikers in the summer. I think with the amount we will need in rather keep FF(Who has been best player last 2 games) and strengthen in other areas.

In summer we will need

Keeper

Left Back

Right Back

Center Back

3 central midfielders

2 wingers

2 strikers

That's 11 players

Guest LittleG
2 hours ago, cookeh said:

If we let them all go, then the only players we'll have who aren't defenders or keepers are:
Bannan, Luongo, Harris, Reach and Rhodes.

That seems like suicide. We'll be held to ransom by every club we talk to because we've got to sign so many players.

I'd keep Fletch for another year, especially as he and Rhodes seemed to be starting a decent partnership. It also means the price of any forward we go for won't instantly double as we're not completely desperate.

I'd also give Nando another year. He still looks lively now he's back fit, and gives us a good option off the wing or as a number 10.
Morgan Fox also very much deserves a new deal, I'm a bit disappointed that it hasn't already been sorted out.. but that's Monk for you.
Presumably looking to ship out Westwood and van Aken too.

Keeping Nando and Fletch means we still need to sign a striker, a right winger and 2 center mids, as a minimum, probably another centerback too.

You forgot Nuihu, or is he out of contract to. Mind you I try to block him from my mind as well!!

1 minute ago, LittleG said:

You forgot Nuihu, or is he out of contract to. Mind you I try to block him from my mind as well!!

He's out of contract this summer. There seems to be some debate over whether Rhodes is, I've seen an article claiming this is his last year and another claiming he's contracted till 2021.

30 minutes ago, jonnyowl said:

A lot of players haven't done anything for 2 years.

If we get rid of him we'd need three strikers in the summer. I think with the amount we will need in rather keep FF(Who has been best player last 2 games) and strengthen in other areas.

In summer we will need

Keeper

Left Back

Right Back

Center Back

3 central midfielders

2 wingers

2 strikers

That's 11 players

Great, then whats one more player.

Why keep a player who has done nothing and we have a chance to get him off the wage bill. You want to keep him based on the last 2 games when everyone else has been gash for other reasons. Christ. If thats all it takes im sure we can find 2 games for the others as well.

2 hours ago, cookeh said:

If we let them all go, then the only players we'll have who aren't defenders or keepers are:
Bannan, Luongo, Harris, Reach and Rhodes.

That seems like suicide. We'll be held to ransom by every club we talk to because we've got to sign so many players.

I'd keep Fletch for another year, especially as he and Rhodes seemed to be starting a decent partnership. It also means the price of any forward we go for won't instantly double as we're not completely desperate.

I'd also give Nando another year. He still looks lively now he's back fit, and gives us a good option off the wing or as a number 10.
Morgan Fox also very much deserves a new deal, I'm a bit disappointed that it hasn't already been sorted out.. but that's Monk for you.
Presumably looking to ship out Westwood and van Aken too.

Keeping Nando and Fletch means we still need to sign a striker, a right winger and 2 center mids, as a minimum, probably another centerback too.

Since when did rhodes look good? Must have missed that. One good game in 3 years. Get rid of them

Guest LittleG
28 minutes ago, cookeh said:

He's out of contract this summer. There seems to be some debate over whether Rhodes is, I've seen an article claiming this is his last year and another claiming he's contracted till 2021.

Thank god for that. I believe Rhodes is here till 2021.

1 hour ago, billyblack said:

Since when did rhodes look good? Must have missed that. One good game in 3 years. Get rid of them

Most of the folk who still think Rhodes can play football have been asking for him to play with Fletch for basically the entire time he's been here.

They managed a grand total of 2 and a half games together in December before Fletch's injury, and scored 7 goals between them in that time.

It's not a big sample, obviously, but at the time it felt like the start of something that could have pushed us on up the table.. until the injury ofc.

A certain section of our supporters probably don't remember that tho.. and so it never happened and we should all just erase it from our memories.
Boo! Rhodes gets paid money! Booo!

5 minutes ago, cookeh said:

Most of the folk who still think Rhodes can play football have been asking for him to play with Fletch for basically the entire time he's been here.

They managed a grand total of 2 and a half games together in December before Fletch's injury, and scored 7 goals between them in that time.

It's not a big sample, obviously, but at the time it felt like the start of something that could have pushed us on up the table.. until the injury ofc.

A certain section of our supporters probably don't remember that tho.. and so it never happened and we should all just erase it from our memories.
Boo! Rhodes gets paid money! Booo!

Most of the folk who still think Rhodes can play football.

That's about two people.

4 hours ago, Kanye West said:

Sitting on the fence a bit here, for me it's a 50/50 split between getting rid of the manager or keeping him on and letting him sort the squad out in the summer.

Assuming Fox signs a new deal, there's quite a few out of contract. Things aren't good at the minute, but Monk isn't a bad manager, he did well at Brum and Swansea. Is it worthwhile seeing the season out and let him have a clearout in the summer? It would be a totally new-look squad next season.

My worry with a new manager is we get the new manager bounce, Hutch and Westwood come back in, earn new contracts and we'll be stuck in the same cycle from the last 2/3 years.

Out of contract

Rhodes

Fletcher

Forestieri

Hutchinson

Pelupessy

Winnall

Lee

Westwood is unlikely to get a new contract now anyway. He no longer has a significant transfer value. If we got a new manager and he got back in the first team I think we would just allow him to see out his current contract.

We gave Carlos one summer too many and that ruined the following season. Jos had a decent end to that campaign and we gave him a summer to shape his team - not much in terms of transfer but approach and what he had to work with -that proved to be unwise as well. 

I wouldn't be averse to seeing most of those out of contract players go and have a fresh start with a new manager. Doesn't Rhodes have another year though?

21 minutes ago, billyblack said:

Most of the folk who still think Rhodes can play football.

That's about two people.

Fair.
But the fact remains that Rhodes and Fletch scored goals.. albeit for just 3 games.
It was the only 3 games they had and 2 the matches were against teams in the top 6.

I'm sure folk will continue to mock it, but they were up top for our best result of the season and our best fun of the season coincided with them being up front together.

• Like 1

Some good research by Cookeh on the mad Monk I thought:

"At Brum.. he did well initially (honeymoon?) but within a year he was gone, ending his time with a run of 2 wins in 12 games (sound familiar?)
Swansea, 18 months.. ending with a run of 1 win in 12..

He manages to have small decent runs, but very quickly produces absolute garbage, just as he's doing here.

I've seen very little actual evidence of him NOT being a bad manager.

The summer is vital and i don't trust him as capable of getting it right at all"

10 minutes ago, cookeh said:

Fair.
But the fact remains that Rhodes and Fletch scored goals.. albeit for just 3 games.
It was the only 3 games they had and 2 the matches were against teams in the top 6.

I'm sure folk will continue to mock it, but they were up top for our best result of the season and our best fun of the season coincided with them being up front together.

I cant deny those goals or results.

However if Rhodes can still be play football, why is it the only person who appears to be able to play it with is Fletcher. If anyone wanted to buy Rhodes they need would need to buy Fletch as well.

17 minutes ago, billyblack said:

I cant deny those goals or results.

However if Rhodes can still be play football, why is it the only person who appears to be able to play it with is Fletcher. If anyone wanted to buy Rhodes they need would need to buy Fletch as well.

Fletch is a pretty unselfish player. He puts it about, makes space, has good hold up and link up play as well as being a threat himself. He's the ideal type of player to play with Rhodes. None of our other striking options tick the same boxes.

Winnall and Rhodes are similar kinds of players, both want to get on the end of things. It's a mystery why Carlos played the two of them together so much.

Nuhiu is.. i'm still not sure what. Positionly he always seems to want to be in a similar place to Rhodes, which stifled both of them, and Atdhe strangely doesn't have the same presence that Fletch has up top.

Nando is historically a fairly terrible partner for anyone centrally. Always thought he was best coming in off the left and he very rarely gets the best of out anyone he plays thru the middle with.

Would he work with Wickham? Maybe. Would like to see it tried, but Monk seems to be freezing Rhodes out as well, and Wickham's been benched. So..